Feeling unloved | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Feeling unloved

I am wondering how many people here participating in this particular thread are adult children of alcoholics and/or trauma? And moreover, who are Enneagram type 4's? Please, if you're comfortable, identify which of these pertains to you. I am wanting to see if this is a correlation, thanks :)

I am wondering how many people here participating in this particular thread are adult children of alcoholics and/or trauma? And moreover, who are Enneagram type 4's? Please, if you're comfortable, identify which of these pertains to you. I am wanting to see if this is a correlation, thanks :)

A correlation of what? And yeah, I fit all three counts.

Something just occurred to me.

There is nothing wrong with us!

The only thing we need to realize is how to love people who fail to meet our standards, because they failed! This means that we have to love ourselves too when we fail ourselves!

If someone can't love us, then they're just unfortunate for whatever reason. That's their problem. Don't let it change who we are!

Don't stop loving people because they won't love us back. Love them more because they need to be shown love! But let them not return our love... for as long as they have to until they get it right, if they ever get it right. It doesn't matter if they do. It matters if we show them love!

Don't stop hoping because people fail us. Hope more for their betterment because they've only failed themselves! But let them fail us... as many times as they have to until they get it right, if they ever get it right. It doesn't matter if they do. It matters if we keep hope!

Don't let other people stop us from being everything we are. Be everything we are more because they need us to! But let them try to stop us... for as long as they have to until they get that we are right, if they ever get it right. It doesn't matter if they do. It matters if we stay true to the wonderful people we truly are!

It is not us who are wrong. It is the world. We only fail when we give up. Our awesomeness is stronger than the world's suckiness, and the world needs us to stand up for what is right because it doesn't know how to! If it did, it would work like it is supposed to. We can't let failures stop us from doing what we were meant to do. Failures need to bolster us to do what the world needs us to do!

This is our challenge as INFJs! In order for us to be what we were made to be, our battle is with ourselves. We have choose to forgive others and ourselves, and not let it weigh us down to the point of crippling us. We have choose to accept others and ourselves for exactly who they are when they are, realizing that we are all works in progress. When we stop trying to make these works in progress better, we fail because that is what we are meant to do.

I love you!

I love all of you! Exactly as you are!

No one has to change to be loved! Not even us! All we have to do is focus on the best of ourselves, and not let anything cause the worst of ourselves. Be who we are and do the good that we do, and everything will fall into place. It doesn't matter if we succeed at these individual goals. It only matters that we keep being true to the best of ourselves, and that is our love for everyone!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker

All of the above.

(And yes, I just realized how much of my previous post is exactly what INFPs do naturally. As opposites we compliment each other so well, and seem to be lacking the one thing that makes the other great. That's not the case though. We have those traits, they're just not our dominant traits. Clearly, those are strengths we need to focus on in ourselves, just like they need to draw from our strengths of not giving up and knowing when to fight. When we combine our powers, the world will have no choice but to become a better place! Wow. I'm inspired!)

Last edited:
A correlation of what? And yeah, I fit all three counts.

A correlation to the type 4 and literature I've read on adult children of alcoholics and abusive homes.

Very interesting! Because I relate to you guys like you wouldn't believe.

Was your mother or father the alcoholic? Or both?
Who was the abuser, and which kind of abuse was it (Emotional, Physical, Verbal, Spiritual).
And what is your wing and instinctual stacking? I am a 4w3-wing and I'm a SEXUAL instinct.

This is neat. It feels good to at least know I have some people to relate to...

I think what Van Hase wrote was really deep I think. It was like pure concentrated awsomeness.

Last edited:
I'll add another 'yes' vote to this question.

This is almost a unanimous and intense issue for us it seems.

I always wanted a soul mate. I've never wanted anything more. It was a need in me that I had since I was a very small child. I remember feeling it in first grade. I have spent the majority of my life trying to make myself 'lovable'. Almost all of my interest and skill stem from my need to be loved by a special person that 'gets' me. While I have always been unwilling to budge on my core values and interests, I have always been willing to change anything else.

It took me many more years to find her than I thought I could endure, but I found her and I knew it when I did because I had dreamed about her in vivid detail since I was a teenager. It turned out that she was an INFJ too. We had 5 wonderful years together. We only had 3 'fights', and they consisted of us not talking for about 30 minutes and then realizing that nothing was worth us not being together. We'd apologize and forget about it like it never happened. I had the kind of happiness I had always dreamed of. It was everything I knew it would be.

Then one day, she told me she needed some freedom before she would be ready to settle down for good. She said that she needed to experience life that way or else she would always regret it. It broke my heart but I gave it to her because she promised to come back when she was done. She also told me that she needed me to stop being such a slacker because she needed to be able to trust me to take care of both of us if something happened to her. I always managed to pay the bills with my various freelnace work, and she never had to pay for anything while she was with me unless she chose to, but I only did what I had to do and was starting to rack up credit card debts. It broke my self esteem, but I promised to make all the changes she asked of me. Her plan was for me to 'shape up' while she was having her freedom, and when I was done, she'd come back. Until then she didn't want me to contact her because she said it would make it hard for her to enjoy her freedom because she loved me so much, and might start to regret her decision. It was harsh, but I could see that I needed the motivation and I loved her enough to give her what she needed, even if it was the worst thing I could imagine for myself.

I spent the next year and a half working out, and working 4 jobs. I got myself together spiritually and even became a minister who teaches at conferences all over the nation. I lost 64 pounds, and can now pass the Federal Police Field Agent Fitness Requirement - for men 20 years younger than me. I pulled in 6 figures last year, and now have more money in the bank than I had in debt. I did all of this while so devastated that I cried nearly every day, and sometimes had panic attacks so intense that I would hyperventilate until I passed out. I mention all of this because with God's help, I was able to do the impossible. This is a testament to how far an INFJ is willing to go when the goal is their soul mate.

When I finally felt that I had proven myself and met every demand that she made, I called her. She told me that it was very inappropriate for me to do so because she was in a relationship now, that she was no longer in love with me, and that she didn't want anything to do with me ever again. Then she hung up.

I almost died. Literally. I attempted suicide a few times before I got myself to realize that no one is worth that.

I've tried to make sense of it since then, and the only thing I can come up with was that she wanted out from the beginning and didn't know how else to do it. The arrangement she offered was designed to let me down easy because she didn't think I could meet it. By trying to spare my feelings, it seems that she only served to hurt worse than anything else could have.

So, now I have regained the intense INFJ longing for someone special, but now I have no hope that I will ever find someone to fill that role because if it didn't work with her, then it just isn't possible. She was a one in a million possibility. Strangely, brilliant beautiful women are now throwing themselves at me, but none of them have what it would take to be a soul mate. None of them have what it would take to 'get me'. So, I am now an island of my own choosing, and I honestly feel that I will remain so for the rest of my life unless I let go of the possibility that there is such a thing as a soul mate, at which point, I will no longer have the motivation to live.

If it wasn't for my close network of friends, I wouldn't be typing this today. And I have realized that all that we as INFJs can really hope for is good friends, the kind who stick with us through the good times and the bad, just was we stick with them through theirs.

I wish I had a better Valentine's Day report, but I don't. If it is at all possible, figure out how to love yourselves first, and everyone else second, despite this being against everything we are. You'll save yourself a lot of pain.

Von, I don't now how to reply to this adequately . But I only hope things get better for you. Any person willing to go that fair to make someone happy deserves a women who will blow there socks off and stay with them.

I can't fathom another INFJ hurting a another human being so.

I don't know where this was going but I had to say something.

I wish you the best.

The only thing we need to realize is how to love people who fail to meet our standards, because they failed! This means that we have to love ourselves too when we fail ourselves!

If someone can't love us, then they're just unfortunate for whatever reason. That's their problem. Don't let it change who we are!

Don't stop loving people because they won't love us back. Love them more because they need to be shown love! But let them not return our love... for as long as they have to until they get it right, if they ever get it right. It doesn't matter if they do. It matters if we show them love!

Don't stop hoping because people fail us. Hope more for their betterment because they've only failed themselves! But let them fail us... as many times as they have to until they get it right, if they ever get it right. It doesn't matter if they do. It matters if we keep hope!

Don't let other people stop us from being everything we are. Be everything we are more because they need us to! But let them try to stop us... for as long as they have to until they get that we are right, if they ever get it right. It doesn't matter if they do. It matters if we stay true to the wonderful people we truly are!

It is not us who are wrong. It is the world. We only fail when we give up. Our awesomeness is stronger than the world's suckiness, and the world needs us to stand up for what is right because it doesn't know how to! If it did, it would work like it is supposed to. We can't let failures stop us from doing what we were meant to do. Failures need to bolster us to do what the world needs us to do!

This is our challenge as INFJs! In order for us to be what we were made to be, our battle is with ourselves. We have choose to forgive others and ourselves, and not let it weigh us down to the point of crippling us. We have choose to accept others and ourselves for exactly who they are when they are, realizing that we are all works in progress. When we stop trying to make these works in progress better, we fail because that is what we are meant to do.

I love you!

No one has to change to be loved! Not even us! All we have to do is focus on the best of ourselves, and not let anything cause the worst of ourselves. Be who we are and do the good that we do, and everything will fall into place. It doesn't matter if we succeed at these individual goals. It only matters that we keep being true to the best of ourselves, and that is our love for everyone!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Von thank your for this. I know I forget this somtimes. I need keep this in the back of my mind.

Thank your for that.

I know many of us feel like just curling up and dieing because it seems like the more we try to be who we are the more the world take pieces of our soul as they hurt us. But we can't stop fighting. Because then all the negative and cruelty wins.

Thanks for that post Von its always good to have things put back in the right prospective.

When I finally felt that I had proven myself and met every demand that she made, I called her. She told me that it was very inappropriate for me to do so because she was in a relationship now, that she was no longer in love with me, and that she didn't want anything to do with me ever again. Then she hung up.

My God! I don't know exactly what happened inside me when I read that, but it just hurt so much! :( I don't know if I would have recovered from that, Hase.

I love you!

No one has to change to be loved! Not even us!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Milon: *is inspired!* Wow!

You know, something just occurred to me.

If you love yourself, then you should never feel unloved!

You, alcyone, are A-W-E-S-O-M-E! And your avatar rocks too!
Much thanks!

Last edited:
"Failure in having long-lasting relationships"....I can relate to that. Over the years it appeared it was more "failure in having something long-lasting". How many times I have grown weary of my state of being and what I am doing with my life at the present is astounding. Walked away from a business partnership once while my partner was begging me to just take some time off.....as much as I needed. Decades later, we are still great friends. I don't know if I get bored too easily or if it is more of a calling to do something different and challenging all over again. Love seems like it is just part of the equation. Was alone so much I found my true soulmate in Heaven. Things got better from that point on. Been with the same person over 16 years now. However, I have gone through those times of wanting change many times over those 16 years; even over most of the years. When I take time out to refuel, those close to me fear something is wrong when it is just a basic need I have. Love seems to hurt us the most out of most of the things we change in, so we seem to focus more on that aspect of our life.
Another here mentioned to stop looking. Easier said than done back years ago during Christmas watching everyone around you walking holding hands or sitting close in the car in front of you. Things get better with age as we learn to adjust with ourselves. Don't try to find a perfect person or you may live a lonely life. We are not perfect and should remember others are not, either. Good luck to all.

We are not perfect and should remember others are not, either. Good luck to all.

I differ in this perspective. I maybe am a babe growing into my perfection, but who is there to stop me? I don't think I need "luck" to do this, just me. :smile:

I differ in this perspective. I maybe am a babe growing into my perfection, but who is there to stop me? I don't think I need "luck" to do this, just me. :smile:

I think this is another classic example of the difference between INFPs and INFJs, and why it is so important that we have each other in our lives.

Our inherent strengths are the other's struggles. As an INFP, you are naturally able do what is hardest for us to do. As INFJs, you are naturally able do what is hardest for us to do.

I am so glad to have you (and all the our other INFP brothers and sisters) here on this forum so that you can share your strength with us and we can share ours with you.

:m015:

Von, I don't now how to reply to this adequately . But I only hope things get better for you. Any person willing to go that fair to make someone happy deserves a women who will blow there socks off and stay with them.

I can't fathom another INFJ hurting a another human being so.

My God! I don't know exactly what happened inside me when I read that, but it just hurt so much! :( I don't know if I would have recovered from that, Hase.

Thanks guys, for your compassion, empathy, and support. It really was the hardest thing I've done in my entire life, and it is good to know that it was something that could be appreciated and admired.

I can understand how she did what she did, even though I believe she made very bad choices. She was confused by the other people in her life into thinking she should do these things and that they would hurt me less than they would help me. I did my best not to let her see me suffer so that she could have what she needed without making it more difficult, so she never really knew how hard it was for me. I don't think she thought it all the way through, and stopped once everything seemed like it would have a favorable outcome. I believe that she had every intention of making good on her promises, but she misunderstood my keeping my distance as being a lack of interest in her and eventually allowed herself to enter into another relationship because she thought I had moved on or didn't want to be with her anymore. Now that she is in a new relationship, she doesn't want to hurt the new guy and feels very threatened by my presence because she loves me so much, and knows that she will 'fall in love with me all over again' if she has anything to do with me. I could tell by her tone of voice that she hung up because it was too difficult for her to talk to me, not because she wanted to hurt me. She's doing the best she can to protect herself and me, even though she's doing a terrible job of it. I know she's trying to do what she thinks is best because that is who she is. I forgive her and hope for the best for her. I trust her try to do what is right, even if that means making mistakes and learning from them.

INFJs always have the best intentions, but that doesn't mean we always make the best decisions.

I don't know where this was going but I had to say something.

I wish you the best.

Von thank your for this. I know I forget this somtimes. I need keep this in the back of my mind.

Thank your for that.

I know many of us feel like just curling up and dieing because it seems like the more we try to be who we are the more the world take pieces of our soul as they hurt us. But we can't stop fighting. Because then all the negative and cruelty wins.

Thanks for that post Von its always good to have things put back in the right prospective.

Milon: *is inspired!* Wow!

I am so happy to know I helped! Knowing that the wisdom I have earned through hardship can help others makes the hardship worth having gone through. I wish you the best too!

Reactions: acd
Mayflow, the "Good Luck" had absolutely nothing to do with my statement; it was just a general exhortation as sending a fisherman off or wishing someone well. Sorry if I ran the statements into each other.
The scriptures even say, "Be thou perfect, even as I am perfect".
I have seen people let perfect opportunities go by for great relationships because of imperfections in others. It is sad. That is what I was trying to say. We are all babes in a sense.

Mayflow, the "Good Luck" had absolutely nothing to do with my statement; it was just a general exhortation as sending a fisherman off or wishing someone well. Sorry if I ran the statements into each other.
The scriptures even say, "Be thou perfect, even as I am perfect".
I have seen people let perfect opportunities go by for great relationships because of imperfections in others. It is sad. That is what I was trying to say. We are all babes in a sense.

Just me, you say an awful lot of stuff in a short statement here. Yes, I understand that the "good luck" thing was like a flower or a gem in your heart that was just wishing the best for all of us. It's beautiful for people to be like that and feel that way. Perfectly beautiful in fact. Sometimes I really think that everything is just perfect as it is, but the perfection is like a hidden jewel to some of us sometimes. Perfectly hidden in plain sight!

"We are all babes in a sense" seems a pretty thought to me. :smile:

Thanks guys, for your compassion, empathy, and support. It really was the hardest thing I've done in my entire life, and it is good to know that it was something that could be appreciated and admired.

I can understand how she did what she did, even though I believe she made very bad choices. She was confused by the other people in her life into thinking she should do these things and that they would hurt me less than they would help me. I did my best not to let her see me suffer so that she could have what she needed without making it more difficult, so she never really knew how hard it was for me. I don't think she thought it all the way through, and stopped once everything seemed like it would have a favorable outcome. I believe that she had every intention of making good on her promises, but she misunderstood my keeping my distance as being a lack of interest in her and eventually allowed herself to enter into another relationship because she thought I had moved on or didn't want to be with her anymore. Now that she is in a new relationship, she doesn't want to hurt the new guy and feels very threatened by my presence because she loves me so much, and knows that she will 'fall in love with me all over again' if she has anything to do with me. I could tell by her tone of voice that she hung up because it was too difficult for her to talk to me, not because she wanted to hurt me. She's doing the best she can to protect herself and me, even though she's doing a terrible job of it. I know she's trying to do what she thinks is best because that is who she is. I forgive her and hope for the best for her. I trust her try to do what is right, even if that means making mistakes and learning from them.

INFJs always have the best intentions, but that doesn't mean we always make the best decisions.

I am so happy to know I helped! Knowing that the wisdom I have earned through hardship can help others makes the hardship worth having gone through. I wish you the best too!
Sounds like uncertainty is whats mostly getting in your way. I don't know what it is about the new guy -- either her F and wants to take care of everyones feelings -- or he's the kind of guy who would give a lot of himself for her and thats why she sticks with him. The ideal situation is this -- its about what she wants. If the new guy isnt her type then she's not gonna be able to protect his feelings forever and end up (1) either ditching him or (2) getting married or in a long term relationship which she won't be really satisfied with. Either way it probably won't end well.

And second of all, by trying to take care of everyone like this, she really is taking care of no-one. If you two arent meant to be any kinds of partners then its better just to let it go as soon as possible. I don't know about you but I really don't like the sense of helplessness of being strung along.

I love you!

Happy Valentine's Day!
You are extremely insightful! You put into words what I've been trying to say in my journal for months! I have both prayed and consciously worked towards loving people without needing anything in return from them.

If you love yourself, you have real love to offer people, even strangers.

Your story is really something, Von Hase. I have this philosophy that we should love as much as we can and give as much as we can and be as open as possible--and if it doesn't work out, then at least you know you were brave enough to give everything in the one life that you get.

them.

If you love yourself, you have real love to offer people, even strangers.

Bingo, and it is not only that, but new venues continually arrive. Love knows no endings, only changings, and is ever constantly bringing in the new. It's a never-ending multi-splendored thingy!

Wow just read through this whole thread -- missed it for some reason.

I've been a "seeker" of true love for a while now. I agree with all those who counsel that the real journey needs to begin inside -- that we have to learn to love ourselves first.

I view our thoughts and emotions as vibrations...when we vibrate with love inside, I think the love we want will naturally come to us, just as like attracts like.

I too get lonely, and engage in distracting behavior (actually, work is my #1 escape from loneliness) but I keep optimistic and know that life can change in an instant -- for the better and for the worse. Seriously, our lives our so short and there's no sense in having a thought pattern of pining or sadness for something when there is so much life to live. Easier said than done, I suppose....

I love the writings of Osho...one of the things he says is that love is like a gentle breeze -- it comes and it goes. A breeze on a hot summer day feels wonderful -- but you can also have an amazing and joy-filled life even without the breeze. And when the breeze comes, the worst thing you can do is to attempt to trap it. When a breeze comes into your house, you can't shut the windows to trap the breeze, but that's what we all try and do in our relationships....trap the love so that it won't go away...and then we suffocate it.

Anything you try to possess, you don't really love. When you love, you allow freedom. In true love, two people are giving each other freedom.