falling in love while committed to someone else | INFJ Forum

falling in love while committed to someone else

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, I was watching a talk show and this topic came up.

If you fall in love with someone else while in a loving, committed relationship with someone, including marriage, does it always mean that something was or is wrong with your current relationship?

Sidenote: This question assumes that you can love more than one person but only fall in love and commit to one person at a time.

For me - no. If I'm happy with my relationship, I'll never look at another man that way.

if you need two you are not doing the first one right, so what's the point?

I think it is inevitable that if you spend enough time with someone, coupled with the newness, you can't help but fall in love with someone new. I don't think it is so bad but you have to handle it appropriately. That appropriateness is different for every persons situation.

Reactions: Quiet
I personally tend to think that people only let this happen if they are somehow dissatisfied with their current relationship. They may not even realize this and will swear up and down that they are happy, but deep down, they are probably not getting something they want or need. Just my opinion. I guess the feelings themselves are entirely possible but it just seems like if you are happy with and really love and respect the person you are with, then even if you do start to notice feelings developing for someone else, you will avoid that person because you know what is happening isn't right and you love who you are with too much to let anything else happen. But, I suppose that's probably not always the case for everyone. I'm a bit of an idealist as far as love is concerned admittedly.

For me personally, this would never happen if I was committed and happy with someone else. I might grow to really like and/or appreciate other people, but falling in actual love wouldn't happen. I think it is likely because that aspect of my life is already being fulfilled and so I have no need to want that from someone else.

always? no, I wouldn't say that. I'd say that it depends on whether or not you ponder on persuing that influence. How irrational are we?

If you're committed to the person you're with, you'll recognize the signs before it gets that serious with this new person, and you'll cut out/par down the contact.

It's a shitty thing to do, but I do believe it can happen naturally and without problems in the existing relationship. Some connections are just too strong, even if you create distance. You can end all external contact with that person, only to have them live on in your mind and haunt your current relationship. I think it's also possible to fall in love with a new person, while still being in love with someone from a previous relationship. In that case are you being faithful to the new person in your life, despite having tried your hardest to eradicate old feelings? This is a problem in my life, I admit. How nice it would be to have a clean slate and start completely free of doubts.

That said, I do want to believe we are in control of our hearts to a certain degree and certainly our actions, and that's where intentionality counts. Often people seem to be looking for a way out, whether consciously or not.

All these responses make me wonder what your thoughts are on people who are poly amorous? Are they really not in love with one of the partners or what?

I think it is inevitable that if you spend enough time with someone, coupled with the newness, you can't help but fall in love with someone new. I don't think it is so bad but you have to handle it appropriately. That appropriateness is different for every persons situation.

I agree with you UBERROGO.

I once read in a study that one of the tricks to refreshing long term relationships was locking the two people in a room, ensuring eye contact and conversation. I think that one of the problems of the modern day is that for a person in a committed relationship who lives with their partner- one of the downsides is that you might have different work schedules, and end up being alone most of the time at home, spending more time with coworkers than your partner, and in the end building stronger relationships with coworkers- just because you see them more often.

I would argue that it's not as much the fault of the person, than how society is set up. Working side by side with somebody all day, and then going home, barely seeing your partner for 5 minutes and spending the rest of the night alone can lead to relationship problems. Add to that money problems, cleaning the house, baking food, small irritating things that add up with your partner, and your coworker can seem like a charming and easy way out. Especially if you've been together for a long time, and you're stuck in a rut sexually/emotionally/mentally- it never feels good to be taken for granted. Also, if you gain weight or your partner gains weight and begins looking less attractive.

It's important to remember the reality of the situation, and that if you are having problems now, then you will probably have similar problems in any relationship situation. Like having weird work shifts that don't line up, and money problems, and daily stressors- those can be in any relationship.

I would also argue, that it is possible to love more than one person. I have met some people during the course of my lifetime I really cared about and loved, and that kind of love just doesn't go away. It's always refreshing to meet people that you can relate to really deeply, it's just important to know your limits and respect the person that you are with. It's a test of character.

Maybe this is me being INTP-wannabe for a minute- but awhile ago I happened to think about relationships and how a relationship is ultimately a spoken contract- just simple words that tie us to another person. They are meaningful, but to certain people they may not carry as much importance. Some people value personal freedom and being true to themselves more than they value commitments and loyalty. It's just reality, and yeah, that can hurt to reach that conclusion but it can also be liberating too.

That's why it's so important to be with someone who you truly care about and have a deep relationship with. Part of being in a meaningful relationship is dealing with those trials and tribulations. I think it's pretty normal to end up working with people you are attracted to from time to time, that's life. And you shouldn't have to avoid someone just because they are attractive and you are attracted to them. I think the important line to draw is maintaining a professional atmosphere, but also recognizing if you are in a relationship that's not fulfilling, and knowing where to draw the line.

All these responses make me wonder what your thoughts are on people who are poly amorous? Are they really not in love with one of the partners or what?

I was only really writing my response with your average every day couple in mind.

If you fall in love with someone else while in a loving, committed relationship with someone, including marriage, does it always mean that something was or is wrong with your current relationship?

Sidenote: This question assumes that you can love more than one person but only fall in love and commit to one person at a time.

We "fall in love" because there are parts of us hidden from ourselves - or denied by ourselves - and our beloved brings this out for us.

One must remember there are many reason why we fall in love.

chemistry
biology
unfulfilled needs from childhood

It's the needs from childhood mostly. One has no control over how those needs were created....therefore there is no reason to think one has control over who they fall in love with.

So does it mean that something is wrong when these things happen? No.
Is it an opportunity for self awareness to grow? Yes.

Reactions: hn87c901

No, because "falling in love" is nonsense. Falling in infatuation or lust is a more apt description. Just because your heart doesn't pound like hell when you see your wife or husband anymore and someone else does that to you is not an indication of a problem with your current lover. Its more of an indication that monogamy is not natural and we are designed to be together just long enough to reproduce. I would at least hope that the person in this situation would realize that at some point, because leaving your current husband to be with the other person would more than likely repeat the current situation once the infatuation dies down and youre bored again until someone new comes along and quickens your lust once more.

Maven, if you are committed to someone yet find yourself falling in love with someone else, it is a huge warning sign (think clanging alarm bells, flashing red lights) that you have taken the emotional energy that belonged to your partner and siphoned it off to give to someone else. You have robbed your partner of closeness, connection, and intimacy, choosing to give what is rightfully theirs to an interloper. By spending one on one time and sharing emotionally intimate conversation with the third party, you create a bond that dilutes your primary relationship. You start idealizing the new person while finding fault with your partner, not considering that (a): this second relationship is built on fantasy, (b): your "special friend" seems better in comparison to your partner, but doesn't have to pay bills and raise kids with you, (c): you are likely glossing over your contributions to the downfall of your established relationship, and (d): if you left your partner to pursue this new admirer, you would inevitably run into the same problems once the fantasy stage was over and reality bit you in the butt. Also picture having to pay alimony and child support to your heartbroken ex. Better to turn your attention back to your committed partner, remember why you fell in love, and look for creative new ways to nurture that love and connection.

Last edited: