Expressing the "mystical" | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Expressing the "mystical"

I fall in love with random strangers every day, I feel completely connected and almost helplessly useless when I'm in nature, I feel more than physical connections to random things/events/ideas, and I get chills at random times when I "philosophize".

I think I'm mentally insane!

Either that or I like to make things up. I am a believer in a world that holds more than the eye can see, however.

I fall in love with random strangers every day, I feel completely connected and almost helplessly useless when I'm in nature, I feel more than physical connections to random things/events/ideas, and I get chills at random times when I "philosophize".

I think I'm mentally insane!

Either that or I like to make things up. I am a believer in a world that holds more than the eye can see, however.

if that then we can be mentally insane together!

happens to me the same way you described

oh...and the world does hold more than the eye can see

I have had many profound spiritual experiences as well. I don't talk about them much to others because they are hard to explain and I find a lack of acceptance from most.

Most people do not know what country I'm from, and I can assimilate almost anywhere.

i put a close guard on how i express them to people, if at all, for the same reasons you mentioned Ketsugi.

i'd love to discuss and explore them more with others in real life, but seem to feel robbed of my ability to do so when i consider potential consequences (e.g. being viewed as hippy dippy).

i do sometimes covertly blend them into conversations and test the waters, if you will, to see if the other person is interested, responsive, or accepting of such matters.

i guess so much of society seem to shy away from matters regarding "mysticism", believing it to be outlandishly esoteric or a threat to the common order (as an 'other'). however, i believe the word is largely misconstrued as something 'other' than oneself (as paranormal/supernatural...so to be feared in its indefiniteness?) when in fact, it has everything to do with oneself in the pursuit of an innate awareness with ultimate reality.

I get feelings like this, and frequently. In fact, if I don't get some sort of feeling that you've described for a while, then I begin to feel very empty, restless, and lost. I kind of need that -- it fuels my dreams, and I'm not much without those, to tell the truth.

The year I spent in the Netherlands, I spent a lot of time alone. A LOT of time, and much of it was most of a lonely aloneness. But in that time, I had a lot of time to reflect on a lot of things...and there were times where I'd be out walking on a path along the canal, alone, and I'd get this intense feeling from the very depths of my chest, bubbling out and up and around like joy and sorrow and desire, and it would be overwhelming. It's something like understanding, but I'm not sure that I really registered anything to understand. I just was, as pure and simple and corrupt and complex as I was meant to be, and that's all that mattered.

That still happens, but not nearly as frequently, mostly because I'm not alone or exposed to nature as much.

I don't get as many instant connections with people, but I do on occasion. When I first met my ENFJ friend, it was only for a little while at a convo at the start of my school. I didn't talk to him for at least a month or two after that. Now, I don't remember people. I suck at that. I don't remember who I met when or where or any of that. But I distinctly remember how I met him, even though I can't recall the events for anyone else I met in those days. There was a kind of connection there, I think.

I have had these experiences my whole life, all variations described above. Lately, however, more paranormal stuff has started to happen to me. But my favorite is immediately clicking with someone I just met. It's an awesome feeling to be understood from the start. I would say that I don't always remaine close to those people, tho.
When I met my best friend (ENFP), it was like that. We were seniors in high school, sitting in the back of the class. Someone else asked me what I was listening to, and when I said, "Hendrix," she honed in on me like a laser. She told me later she immediately decided she had to get to know me. We talked all we could thru the class and for hours after (it was the last class of the day). She is still a very necessary part of my life, even tho her understanding has limits. Thankfully, she's usually just baffled by me, and not angered. She and my husband (INTJ) bond over their mutual lack of understanding the INFJ byzantine personality :D

I fall inlove with random strangers every day and I can't help it, it's like I turn wide-eyed.
As everyone probably knows by now, I feel deeply connected to the USA in a mystical way!!
All my conscious life I have been longing for USA and last summer when I went there - my homesickness disappeared!
:m054:

When I met my best friend (ENFP), it was like that. We were seniors in high school, sitting in the back of the class. Someone else asked me what I was listening to, and when I said, "Hendrix," she honed in on me like a laser.

Like your best friend, this happens to me too. I am so familiar with WHEN the attention is drawn like laser when she heard "Hendrix". It's the same for me, whenever I hear someone mention something which I hold dearly, I will most certainly adore them and approach this percieved WONDERFUL being haha. (I love Jimi Hendrix btw) ^^

Last edited:
Yes, sometimes this happens. I just get attracted to someone for seemingly random reasons.
I consider myself a spiritual person, too. My parents don't understand why I would rather take a walk outside than stay inside in our "home gym".

I've experience the mystical as long as I can remember, it just seems to be a part of my life. From the an overwhelming sense of peace with nature and the world, "knowing" or connections with complete strangers or places, synchronicities, rare moments of precognition, and what I would deem the outright paranormal/supernatural/otherworldly.

As a child I tried to explain such things to my family or friends only to be ignored or scoffed at, so I've learned to be very careful about who I share this side of me with. It's fair to say my INTJ boyfriend knows me better than anyone else who walks this earth, but even he is not overly familiar with my mystical side.

I'm not well versed in how the MBTI works. Do you suppose this mystical bent is due to the N function alone or perhaps the IN (although I just can't see an INTJ expressing mysical experience)? Is it the N and F factor perhaps? I'm not educated enough in it to know, but I'm curious.

I'm not well versed in how the MBTI works. Do you suppose this mystical bent is due to the N function alone or perhaps the IN (although I just can't see an INTJ expressing mysical experience)? Is it the N and F factor perhaps? I'm not educated enough in it to know, but I'm curious.

I think INTPs can have mystical experiences, but not in the same way. More like "seeing 4 dimensions and the unraveling of the universe while tripping on acid" mysticism than "connected to every living thing around me" mysticism

I get feelings like this, and frequently. In fact, if I don't get some sort of feeling that you've described for a while, then I begin to feel very empty, restless, and lost. I kind of need that -- it fuels my dreams, and I'm not much without those, to tell the truth.

The year I spent in the Netherlands, I spent a lot of time alone. A LOT of time, and much of it was most of a lonely aloneness. But in that time, I had a lot of time to reflect on a lot of things...and there were times where I'd be out walking on a path along the canal, alone, and I'd get this intense feeling from the very depths of my chest, bubbling out and up and around like joy and sorrow and desire, and it would be overwhelming. It's something like understanding, but I'm not sure that I really registered anything to understand. I just was, as pure and simple and corrupt and complex as I was meant to be, and that's all that mattered.

That still happens, but not nearly as frequently, mostly because I'm not alone or exposed to nature as much.

I don't get as many instant connections with people, but I do on occasion. When I first met my ENFJ friend, it was only for a little while at a convo at the start of my school. I didn't talk to him for at least a month or two after that. Now, I don't remember people. I suck at that. I don't remember who I met when or where or any of that. But I distinctly remember how I met him, even though I can't recall the events for anyone else I met in those days. There was a kind of connection there, I think.

What you said about your experience in the netherlands was really moving. I feel like you just read from part of my life.