entps: the ideal mate for us? skepticism arises. | INFJ Forum

entps: the ideal mate for us? skepticism arises.

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by melolita, Sep 14, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
More threads by melolita
  1. melolita

melolita Three

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    i am a female infj, slightly bordering on the T/F thing.

i was a late bloomer and had my first boyfriend at age 19. i am 22 now, and when i look back, to me it is as if i had been 13 years old in that aspect; i would have never gotten together with him if i thought about relationships as i do now; i don't even want to be friends with him. and that not first and foremostly because of all the things he did, but because i think his personality and mine are totally incompatible.

he was an entp.

now, i have read numerous times that should supposedly be the perfect match for infjs. (the other one being estp, whose basic description doesn't sound too sympathetic to me in any way.)

at first i thought it was just him as an individual whom i didn't like. then i had a discussion with an intj on an entp he knows and can't stand, AND i found this forum, flooded with entps... who seem just as, excuse me, dickheaded as my ex-bf.

i appreciate the mbti system, but this "natural mate" thing seems very far off and flawed to me. i have no interest in finding another entp (as i've read several times my fellow infjs desire). i find them to be constantly self-righteous, arrogant, and that for no valid reasons; i find them to think they are so incredibly smart, yet they have lots and lots of unqualified opinions, based on their bad memory and wrong recitation of something they once read somewhere. they also seem very susceptible to peer group pressure. they seem to think they have understood you, yet have lots of unjustified and wrongful theories on others. they also seem incredibly selfish.

sorry, but i do not like people like this. and my ex-bf seems to have been a prime example of an entp personality.

i'd very much prefer a fellow infj, or an intj. my last boyfriend was an infp and he is one of the few people i call a friend. i'd also say he's the only person i've really been in love with.

#1 melolita, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. Orion

Orion Strength through understanding
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2
    Does it really matter? We don't go out with types, we go out with people. Calling all ENTPs dickheads or branding any name on a type is wrong, you could meet an awesome ENTP, who knows?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    melolita

melolita Three

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    yes, i could. but i haven't, and the reasons i haven't seem to be the same with every entp. i've also read enough testimonies of entps on this board who proudly claim to be full of themselves.

4. easy_rider

easy_rider Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I don't choose people based on their type but 4 of my 5 best friends I think are probably ENFPs.

5. OP
    melolita

melolita Three

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    my best friend is an enfp as well. but i still can't help but notice that all the entps i know of are just not sympathetic to me - and always for the same reasons? coincidence? i don't know?

6. Lurker

Lurker Has nothing to destroy
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    Write off the traits, not the type, you do yourself a disservice to use MBTI knowledge as a way to pre-judge everyone of a particular type in the way you have. Maybe every ENTP you've interacted with in your life has been a dickhead but that is not a type thing. I'm ENTP and I don't consider myself self-righteous, arrogant, incredibly smart, susceptible to peer pressure or claim to be full of myself.

My best and closest friend is an INFJ and I can understand why it could be a good match, thing is you need someone who is at the same maturity level as yourself, when that matches up it could be gold, meanwhile an immature ENTP is a horrid thing imo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. slant

slant Sedated slanty

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Infp
    Enneagram:
    6-4-9
    Hey, you have the right to dislike a personality.

A ton of people here hate S types, I don't see how this is any different.

Just don't go out with the people you don't like. That what iiiii do.

8. Lurker

Lurker Has nothing to destroy
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    It's not any different.

9. Norton

Norton XXXX

Threads:
    MBTI:
    XXXX
    Enneagram:
    XXXX
    Don't judge all ENTP's by your experience with one. It has been my experience that there is so much diversity among people with the same MBTI personality type, that one might even question the usefulness of MBTI per se. My wife, son, and my brother-in-law (my sister's husband) are all INFJ's and, even though it is possible to discern the patterns that make this so, they are so clearly different. Don't generalize from anecdotal, personal experience to a whole group of people. You might miss out on some really great people.

OTOH, some INTP's, if they are reasonably mature and balanced, seem to pair well with INFJ's. At least that has been my very personal, anecdotal experience!

10. Quinlan

Quinlan Right the First Time!

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISFP
    I actually think, theoretically ENFP is a better match.

11. Ketsugi

Ketsugi Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I have not meshed well with any ENTPs that I have met in my life.

12. transcendentalethos

transcendentalethos Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Me neither... most extroverts annoy me though. :D

13. gloomy-optimist

gloomy-optimist Used to live here

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INxJ
    Enneagram:
    4w3
    I tend to get along better and am more likely to make friends with other xNxJ types, although one of my two best friends is ESTP. Generally, ExTP types are thick-headed, arrogant, self-centered, and tactless. But when they care, they care deeply, and once (if) the energies line up, it works fairly well. I know and have known many ENTPs, and there are variations like any other. An ENTP with a highly developed Fe can be a very good companion.

Sometimes, it just doesn't work. You might want to try something in the F field :)

14. VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    Like all mammals, ENTPs are capable of manifesting in a wide variety of color schemes and personalities.

Some of the ENTP color schemes are highly amusing and entertaining... like this bloke.

[YOUTUBE]0T0GuglxtXA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hnE-YUpV6Gs[/YOUTUBE]

Other ENTP color schemes are highly annoying and abrasive... like this jackass.

[YOUTUBE]ladevl11KOo[/YOUTUBE]

#14 VH, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    Blind Bandit likes this.
  15. midnightmelody

midnightmelody nagging for truth

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Haha that bloke amuses me to no end!

It really does work both ways. Try not to get into a nonreceptive mindset!

16. Ketsugi

Ketsugi Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    The first bloke is uber cute,

the second guy.. a total jackass. Who is he anyways? :m082:

17. VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    Hehe, it's Shai Gar. I'm trying to sucker him into wasting his 10,000th post by replying to this. :p

ShaiEdit: I'm getting skilled at this editreply heee

18. Ketsugi

Ketsugi Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic. I like to give him a hard time. LOL :m129:

19. Blind Bandit

Blind Bandit Blind Man Being Lead to Nowhere
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Hey lives for that.

I gotta admit I like his suit. :m146:

20. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Meh. I don't think you can paint them all with the same brush. MBTI lists sixteen possible personality types; it doesn't manufacture cardboard moulds. Personalities may share certain traits, but in themselves are a fairly unique combination of them.

Still, I agree with you; I would have a strong aversion to any romantic partner that was arrogant and self-righteous.