entps: the ideal mate for us? skepticism arises. | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

entps: the ideal mate for us? skepticism arises.

I like to think of MBTI as the core, or skeleton, of everyone. The meat and the flesh is who we actually are. I believe MBTI provides a bit of an outline, but we are who we are, and every ONE person is different. I may be wrong, but the way I see it, it's better to treat everyone as the individual they are, innocent until proven guilty and what not.

Preferences in a person is fine, but remember no two coins are exactly the same... ?

In the end, people are just choosing individuals. There's nothing wrong with having preferences.

Like all mammals, ENTPs are capable of manifesting in a wide variety of color schemes and personalities.

Some of the ENTP color schemes are highly amusing and entertaining... like this bloke.

I like him too. :m168:

i find them to be constantly self-righteous, arrogant, and that for no valid reasons; i find them to think they are so incredibly smart, yet they have lots and lots of unqualified opinions, based on their bad memory and wrong recitation of something they once read somewhere. they also seem very susceptible to peer group pressure. they seem to think they have understood you, yet have lots of unjustified and wrongful theories on others. they also seem incredibly selfish.

Are you sure he was an ENTP, and not an EXTJ? I have met a considerable amount of both ENTPs and EXTJs. Something about your description doesn't ring true for me. There are assholes of both types, but they tend to come in a specific flavor.

I agree many ENTPs are arrogant (as are many NTs and NFs); but it's more a playful arrogance - a joking cockiness. ENTP arrogance is completely different than INTJ or ENTJ arrogance.. The J's exude anger, and self righteousness. Self righteousness is the antithesis of ENTP nature, and P's in general. P's don't typically get worked up enough, about anything, to get overbearingly self-righteous. That's usually a J quality.

All under-developed types can exhibit selfishness, though I would say IXFJs, are the least likely - even the immature or damaged ones.

Can you tell me more specifics about this guy?, was he typically even-tempered? or did he have a short fuse? Did he try to control you? What were the specific actions that pissed you off? Was it a shallowness of moral character?

Last edited:
It has been my experience that there is so much diversity among people with the same MBTI personality type, that one might even question the usefulness of MBTI per se.

This is so true, and many members should become more aware of this (I am guilty of labeling MBTI types as bad, a habit I am trying to break).

Tonight reinstated this for me. One of my co-workers that I work with on Mondays is an ISTJ. For one, I wouldn't have guessed this, and she began to describe it, and herself, and sure is one! I get along with her great too, who would have thought. It just goes to show you that type is simply a loose guideline. Maturity of the person is the biggest factor really.

I like to think of MBTI as the core, or skeleton, of everyone. The meat and the flesh is who we actually are. I believe MBTI provides a bit of an outline, but we are who we are, and every ONE person is different. I may be wrong, but the way I see it, it's better to treat everyone as the individual they are, innocent until proven guilty and what not.

Preferences in a person is fine, but remember no two coins are exactly the same... ?

I like this very much, conceptually.

Two mature persons of any type can make a relationship work. It may not be ideal or easy, but nothing is set in stone.

*curses missed opportunity* Dammit!

don't worry lurker I'm sure your new guy is a lot better prospect than me.lol

Last edited:
Are you sure he was an ENTP, and not an EXTJ? I have met a considerable amount of both ENTPs and EXTJs. Something about your description doesn't ring true for me. There are assholes of both types, but they tend to come in a specific flavor.

I agree many ENTPs are arrogant (as are many NTs and NFs); but it's more a playful arrogance - a joking cockiness. ENTP arrogance is completely different than INTJ or ENTJ arrogance.. The J's exude anger, and self righteousness. Self righteousness is the antithesis of ENTP nature, and P's in general. P's don't typically get worked up enough, about anything, to get overbearingly self-righteous. That's usually a J quality.

All under-developed types can exhibit selfishness, though I would say IXFJs, are the least likely - even the immature or damaged ones.

Can you tell me more specifics about this guy?, was he typically even-tempered? or did he have a short fuse? Did he try to control you? What were the specific actions that pissed you off? Was it a shallowness of moral character?

MLC I agree with your charactarization. Maturity changes an ENTP, but it takes a long time! Self righteous is the last thing people would say about me, I can't judge people. I tend to be critical, and that can come off self righteous to a partner. But being critical is not with malice, its a means to improve, at least for me. I am constantly trying to improve. Yes I can be very full of myself, and I see that as an undesirable trait, but the difference between confidence, debatably a desirable trait, and being "full of ones self" is very slight indeed.

I've recently met an ENTP online (can't place one in person) and seems fairly nice. Get along quite well. What you see is what you get. Seems to have a strong need to have ideas and person affirmed and approved, not sure if that's an ENTP trait. So, it depends on the person and their level of maturity. Maturity strongly determines whether two different types of people can get along well, along with the ability to see things from the other person's or type's point of view. :m083:

Last edited:
I do not like to base my ''likings'' on a certain type, however I do tend to get a lot better with certain types. I don't get a long well with most ST's, Particularly ESTP's, The differences are just to big (Most ESTP's I met are extremely outgoing and are also quite cold around you, meaning they love meeting people but don't really care much for you) but this is just the ones I met so I don't want to stereotype. I tend to also get a long with N's a lot better, though strange, I'm more attracted to introverts like me then extroverts. I think that my ideal partner will be an INTP rather than an ENTP, but that's just me.

Last edited:
but you love me, right?

One of the original sources for this match up was Keirsey's Please Understand Me II http://shaigar.com/download/Please_Understand_Me_II.pdf Was based on the principal of complementarity - a certain set of similarities and differences that complement one another. It is important to take this all into context - one individual is not representative of all of a particular type. But more to the point, a successful relationship is based on far more than the matching of personality types. Especially when comparing the complexity of a real personality to the superficial portraits.

ShaiEdit: I downloaded it and put it on my website so peoples could use it easier.