DSPD and the Night Owls | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

DSPD and the Night Owls

Non-24 is horrific.

Oh that's interesting... makes sense to me.

Total Speculation Time
We've talked about the potential evolutionary purpose of DSPD as a natural mechanism for 'night sentinels' - you're the guys who are awake when nobody else is, watching over the tribe, &c.

Suppose then that sleep is a much more social activity than is currently believed, and therefore that our sleep cycles are socially regulated, e.g. by the oxytocin and seratonin circuits.

Fucking brilliant idea, @Faye!

That is exactly what I think! Same with ADHD since it allows the individual to function under great stress and fear without losing their shit. These things are tribal. We were the keys for survival back in the days and still are. Thinking out of the box, solving problems with what we have got, staying awake late to protect our families and being able to handle great amounts of adrenaline when needed.

Last edited:
Greetings fellow Night Owls!

Anyone here who has knowledge about DSPD - Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder?

I am trying understand why I can’t go to bed at the same time as everyone else. After every time-off from the work it takes about 2 months of 7-16 working schedule to totally fuck up my energy levels..

I am planning to start working with something more flexible that allow me to sleep until 10 am since that is the time I always wake up at when I have a day-off. Wondering if anyone of you have done such adjustments to cope with your forever increasing sleep deficit?

I've always been a night owl. It's the only time where there isn't a lot of noise and I can focus on what I want to focus on and recharge for the next day's regular social interactions.

I read somewhere recently that night owls have a lower life expectancy because of poor sleep. The interesting thing though was the study placed the blame on the fact that night owls can't abide by their natural circadian rhythms because of the 9 to 5 work week bs.

I've always been a night owl. It's the only time where there isn't a lot of noise and I can focus on what I want to focus on and recharge for the next day's regular social interactions.

I read somewhere recently that night owls have a lower life expectancy because of poor sleep. The interesting thing though was the study placed the blame on the fact that night owls can't abide by their natural circadian rhythms because of the 9 to 5 work week bs.

I read it too.. It might not feel so significant now but if you really think how much we already offer of our lives to serve and work, it is outrageous that for us it means shorter life span.

Yep. Fellow sufferer here. No cure known.

I can wake early but I tend to be Trevor Phillips from GTA V anytime before noon. And I require at least 200mg of caffeine to be remotely nice.

Try to listen to white noise. Listen to a documentary as you fall asleep.

Still the problem is that you sleep the wrong hours which means you can never truly recover.

I take caffeine and amphetamine for the same purpose. How fucked up is that, that I need these uppers just to do my ordinary daily stuff? Weird how acceptable uppers have become in our society... But is you smoke a joint to contemplate, you are a dirty junkie. :tearsofjoy:

I read it too.. It might not feel so significant now but if you really think how much we already offer of our lives to serve and work, it is outrageous that for us it means shorter life span.

Yes very true. My only means of keeping some semblance of good health and my sanity is binge sleeping on the weekends. . RBG does the same thing and she is no spring chicken and has made some pretty fantastic contributions to society.

Still the problem is that you sleep the wrong hours which means you can never truly recover.

I take caffeine and amphetamine for the same purpose. How fucked up is that, that I need these uppers just to do my ordinary daily stuff? Weird how acceptable uppers have become in our society... But is you smoke a joint to contemplate, you are a dirty junkie. :tearsofjoy:

LOL.

Hey...all Adderall is is meth without brake fluid and battery acid. That's my theory

I definitely have this, though I've always just thought of myself as a badass whenever I have to get up after only two hours of sleep or whatever.

My gf always pokes fun at me because at about 8pm I start getting all philosophical and sometimes I'll keep her up and it makes her frustrated because I'm super interesting but she has to sleep and is very tired.

I am largely useless before 11am. Somewhat a potato until 8pm.
Hahaha!