Does understanding lead to tolerance? | INFJ Forum

Does understanding lead to tolerance?

Odyne

===========
Banned
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
Do you think or find that the more we understand something or someone, we would become more tolerant of it or of them?

I am talking in all aspects, life styles, religions, principles, attitudes, desires, behaviors, you name it.

What do you think?

Are there cases where this isn't applicable? That no matter how much we understand we will not tolerate?

Understanding leads to correct forms of tolerance and greater knowledge of what should not be tolerated.

No, I think love leads to intolerance, and the fear of losing the ability to love.

I can understand perfectly how someone works, and still be intolerant.

but say I love my country, and (this is just hypothetical) a muslim wants to blow it up. I would be intolerant of the muslim, because if the muslim succeeds, I cannot love my country anymore because it wont' exist. Does that make sense? I'm not the best analogy maker.

*and no, I'm not anti muslim.*

I don't think I would ever tolerate actions of sexual predators, cold-blooded murderers, or other blatant offenders of core human rights. I could potentially understand what causes the urges at a psychological level, but that doesn't mean I tolerate the behavior. If they could be fixed, and that fix was proven, I could tolerate the person after that, although trust would be another issue.

From personal experience, understanding leads to empathy, but my tolerance is inconsistent if I generally didn't like certain beliefs or behaviours beforehand. I can tollerate it much better from the person if I empathize with them, but if I'm already in a mood or if they actively did something to piss me off, its out the window.

So what I understand from where the responses are headed, for tolerance to be achieved there must be understanding as well as compatibility with one's own morals?

it can, but not necessarily. it depends on the person.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a positive correlation, but I don't think it's always the case. You can understand why a person would want to rape little kids, for example (perhaps they were raped themselves), but still not be able to tolerate it. There's more at play here than understanding the motives of a single individual - you'd have to look at the whole to completely understand - and since tolerating one thing basically means not tolerating something else, you're actually always making a judgment call as to which has priority. Therefore, the more you understand, initially the less likely you'd be to make a judgment call at all, but beyond that point, the more selective and paradoxically less tolerant you'll become. In other words, more understanding at first makes you hesitant to judge anyone, making you more tolerant, but after a certain point, even more understanding will solidify in your mind what should be tolerated and what shouldn't, making you less tolerant.
Just a theory of course. (feel free to point out if it doesn't make sense.)

At times understanding leads to tolerance. At other times, understanding leads to anger. It depends on where you are on your path.

So what I understand from where the responses are headed, for tolerance to be achieved there must be understanding as well as compatibility with one's own morals?
It all depends on whether or not the party who's receiving the tolerance even deserves it. If they treat me like crap or act generally boorish, its not happening. Some groups get automatic tolerance from me simply because they've never bothered me even though I know next to nothing about them and have no feelings for them at all, ei. Western Pagans, for me.

Personally, I don't see tolerance to be very relevant. I would prefer to use the word compassion: understanding other POV's before judging. I like to separate people from their actions. That way, no matter what the person does, how they choose to live, or what their beliefs are, it won't stop me from treating them like I'd want to be treated. Like a human being that deserves to be cared for and feel a sense of worth. I can't say that it won't affect how I see people whose views or beliefs differ from mine, as that's only human. Human beings make judgments about others, even sometimes those judgments that we're not entirely proud of.

But, I'd also say that I won't compromise or sway my beliefs in order to appeal to those I don't agree with. You have to draw the line between tolerance and morality somewhere, don't you? If I didn't stand firm in my beliefs, then wouldn't I be allowing others to choose them for me?

To answer the question directly, though, I'd have to say I think that taking the time to understand others allows people to realize that beyond all of the differences we have, life styles, religions, principles, attitudes, desires, behaviors... we are all people, not one of us any better or any worse than the other. So in that way, we are going beyond just tolerance of one group or another. By listening and understanding, we are showing that we value the person behind all the factors and labels.

But, I'd also say that I won't compromise or sway my beliefs in order to appeal to those I don't agree with. You have to draw the line between tolerance and morality somewhere, don't you? If I didn't stand firm in my beliefs, then wouldn't I be allowing others to choose them for me?
Here here!! //applause

But, I'd also say that I won't compromise or sway my beliefs in order to appeal to those I don't agree with. You have to draw the line between tolerance and morality somewhere, don't you?

Definitely, as long as your morality is based on what's truly right and wrong and not just on what you've been conditioned to believe.

Reactions: muir
Definitely, as long as your morality is based on what's truly right and wrong and not just on what you've been conditioned to believe.
This is a bit of a paradox, because the statement itself intends a lack of tolerance if someone does not match your view of right and wrong, but you expect them to be tolerant of you and others, and that they should bend to your morality if you believe they are in the wrong, yet tolerance would dictate you just accept the way they think.
Its up to you to tolerate them or not, but demanding they change to match you first while believing you shouldn't change, well, thats sticky to say the least.
If you don't agree with them and they don't agree with you, who says either of you have to change to receive tolerance? Tolerance isn't about that.

+1

A perfect example of this might be a child raised in Nazi germany. A child at that time would be indoctrinated in the classroom to believe that all jews are sub human monsters.Persecution of jews was government policy at that time.

Lets say that child then travels outside of Germany and meets someone they really like. They get on with this person, find they have lots of common ground and a shared humanity. They then discover that their new friend is a jew!

This realisation that their government is wrong in their assessment of jews shatters the false perception which their government had built up around their mind. They emerge from the experience a better human being, with greater insight and understanding. They are now sceptical of power and better equiped to make their way in a world that is full of people who construct false perceptions for their own gain.

Perhaps shattering false perceptions (many of these perceptions might be prejudices), on the road to greater understanding and tolerance is the path of the true human being?

Last edited:
As a general principle in our day to day living yes, I think understanding leads to tolerance. This is especially so when I may never agree with someone or relate fully to them, but if I can understand their perspective, background, life experience, I can make enough room for their personal point-of-view. The older I get the more I find this to be so inasmuch as I realize the really unique factors that have formed and shaped my life and that others might live in an entirely different world with a whole different range of experience. Again, I am speaking here of tolerance of moreorless normal diversity/uniqueness here.

In the process of understanding others, we must also understand ourselves and learn what we truly value. Then, if what they value and what we value does not come into conflict, we can tolerate them, but if it does, then that makes the dislike that much worse.

It has to, otherwise why would people avoid information that would help them to better understand?

According to cognitive dissonance, even hearing information that contradicts your worldview can strengthen your resolve in what you already believe--because then you work in overdrive to justify your beliefs and ignore the contradictory information.

So, tolerance is a choice that is only possible when one steps forward in humility, ready to be corrected or educated.

I think a good proactive example of this is one I heard on the radio about a lady who started her own business and began exclusively hiring people who had served time in prison to give them a second chance. She could have just remained afraid of this population, but she learned (though years as a social worker) that these people had the most difficult time readjusting to society once they were released--as if being in prison did the opposite of rehabilitate them--and she began working with them and mentoring them and employing them.

Last edited:
So, tolerance is a choice that is only possible when one steps forward in humility, ready to be corrected or educated.

yeah i really agree with this, and i mean how much do we really understand where someone else's motives are coming from anyway? hell most of us don't even know why We do some of the things we do, let alone knowing the full extent of possibilities behind others decisions, so where does one decide to draw the line for understanding? i'd imagine its different for everyone thus implying "understanding" in this context is completely subjective.

bc of this, as bp suggested, tolerance might best be found in humility, not assuming we understand any given scenario enough to make any objective judgment call, but instead in recognition of the endless possibilities behind another's motives.

It can lead to tolerance or contempt. I have a pretty solid understanding of kink and fetish and that led to tolerance. I studied religion for eight years and was a member of several and that led to contempt.

Reactions: DoveAlexa