Do you think President Obama is also an INFJ? Or ? | INFJ Forum

Do you think President Obama is also an INFJ? Or ?

MindYourHead

Courage doesn't always roar.
Jun 16, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
All politics for or against him aside, I was reading this Op-Ed piece by Maureen Dowd, and it got me thinking.
Clearly he is an introvert to some extent. The part about him having to decompress and recharge after being at even a small event hit home, and in not being as openly reciprocal (unintentionally) to those that reach out also struck a cord.

How would you type the President?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/o...l=1&adxnnlx=1344438059-0ds20/A5hQEgc+wkqHL26w

As for myself, over the years when I watch him speak he never really connects with me on any level.
He just comes across as telling the audience what he thinks they want to hear. Very flat. I guess if someone is of a similar type, I would think there would be some kind of connection there.

Edit:
After giving it some thought, I think if he were an INFJ or similar, he wouldn't have seeked out such a high profile public career.

Last edited:
Reactions: BritNi
I haven't seen him on video recently, or even read about him other than the article you shared, but he doesn't strike me as an INFJ.

It may be difficult to type him because he may have to tone down or tone up certain characteristics, depending on his type, in order to maintain a certain persona as President. I do suspect he's an N, but I don't know about the other pairs. As far as Ni or Ne? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
hmmm interesting. I'm guessing ENTP or ENTJ?? I do not think he is an introvert though I do like Maureen, I think she's trying too hard to rationalize confusing actions as "good" or "understandable".

I would think ENTP is a good choice. He seems to have a good grasp on the people side of things and seems more of a thinker. Doesn't seem to be too much of a sensor because his rise to power seemed so steep which belies the planning and such I would think a sensor would do...seemed more like he took advantage of the power vacuum and slid in under the radar a bit.

Never heard of him before this. Would have been a much easier task before politics took him over.

No. I think all types decompress after running the country for awhile.

He's one of the most powerful people in the world. An INTJ obviously.

I looked up Michelle Obama and INTJ and was surprised at how many hits I got. I did not know she was considered one. The power behind the white house has always lain with the first lady.

After giving it some thought, I think if he were an INFJ or similar, he wouldn't have seeked out such a high profile public career.
I think this is a huge misconception about INFJs. All the ones I know are performers/musicians. I think we do what we feel is necessary. Even if it means being seen.

I looked up Michelle Obama and INTJ and was surprised at how many hits I got. I did not know she was considered one. The power behind the white house has always lain with the first lady.

An INTJ who finally found an useful place in society... making the President a sandwich!

I would call him an ENTJ. Maybe it helps reading this (again^^) ENTJ

Last edited:
Reactions: Nixie
I was going to say ENFJ but some of his statements clearly point to T. I was thinking INTP but I think he is more extroverted than everyone says he is. He is not an ENTJ. ENTJ often seem more "We will do this and we will do that" while he often says, "let's discuss it first what everyone thinks we can do" and then do it. He seems to be someone who seeks validation for his policies or views before implementing them, so that points to Fe. But Fis can be people pleasers as well. So, not sure that quality is only for Fes.

I was going to say ENFJ but some of his statements clearly point to T. I was thinking INTP but I think he is more extroverted than everyone says he is. He is not an ENTJ. ENTJ often seem more "We will do this and we will do that" while he often says, "let's discuss it first what everyone thinks we can do" and then do it. He seems to be someone who seeks validation for his policies or views before implementing them, so that points to Fe. But Fis can be people pleasers as well. So, not sure that quality is only for Fes.

Not only the statements point to T, but also his eyes during conversations, so I'm pretty sure it's one of his dominant functions. I can clearly say that he is no INTP, not only he is having an easy time around people, but he has too much charisma.^^ Hmm... Probably you are right with the Fe thing. It leads me to a little conclution... Maybe I misinterpreted the J... ENTP could fit well. It would explain the charisma... it's hard!

Not only the statements point to T, but also his eyes during conversations, so I'm pretty sure it's one of his dominant functions. I can clearly say that he is no INTP, not only he is having an easy time around people, but he has too much charisma.^^ Hmm... Probably you are right with the Fe thing. It leads me to a little conclution... Maybe I misinterpreted the J... ENTP could fit well. It would explain the charisma... it's hard!

Yeah, I do think he is a P. He is not as decisive as a TJ would be. He tends to take some time to think about his decisions and weigh the opinions of everyone before following through. TJs seem like they will just go for it, not question it too much, and then deal with the effects of the decision after it's made. Ps tend to weigh pros and cons for longer periods of time and try to be certain it's the decision they really want to make.

enfj its obvious

So, it comes down to ENTP or ENFJ? hmm. When I've seen him sit down for interviews, he displays a lot of Fe but that could be a public persona. So, Fe seems clear but I think Ti is certain too. I remember him saying something in an interview a year or two ago where he mentioned that he thought people would realize what he was trying to accomplish. He didn't realize how important it was to explain or verbalize it in more detail. This suggests that he assumed his intentions or goals were obvious. Suggests intuitive perspective. There's a sense of assuming something is clear or implicit without having to state it for everyone to understand. So, this may indicate Ti. He assumes his actions are clear indicators of his intentions, that his reasoning is easy to see. Suggests Ti, internal processing of what's seen as good or the best, but less Te, breaking down so that everyone understands the logic or reasoning. There is probably Ni in one of these descriptions but I'm not sure where.

Of course, this analysis is not meant to be a personal analysis of the President or his policies; this is more an analysis of his approach to thinking.