Do you "read" emotions in musical pieces? | INFJ Forum

Do you "read" emotions in musical pieces?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do you "read" emotions in musical pieces? Do you find that you can pick up emotional sensations, besides your own personal feelings about the music, from the mood or tone of the song?

Can you do this with instrumentals?

Do you find that you can pick up on the artist's emotions in the pieces, emotions which are not an obvious part of the music or song?

Reactions: invisible
Absolutely. People think I am weird when I start talking about the nuances of an artist's music though.

Last edited:
Opera is so emotional.

Reactions: invisible
Absolutely. People think I am weird when I start talking about the nuances of an artist's music though.

[MENTION=251]Wyote[/MENTION]. Could you give an example?

Last edited:
Big time. Music is so important to me, and I read the emotions of the song itself, and what it causes in me all the time.

How would you read the emotion in this piece?:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wLXsUP5ONY"]YouTube - Relaxing Classical Music - Zero-Project Disabled Emotions[/ame]

yes and sometimes even ideas.

whenever i see opera the moment of the highest emotion is always different for me and it depends on how the opera is built. in lucia di lammermoor in the totally horrifying moment when she has cracked, i realised how all the other parts of the opera had added up to form that moment and i was watching every nuance breathlessly and couldn't look away. part of it in la traviata, apart from the tragedy of the love story, was the physically demanding nature of the performance and how by the time violetta's dying at the end i kept thinking about how exhausted the soprano must be and how her voice just kept going and going. by the end of fidelio i had this overwhelming sense that the opera was saying "this is an opera about justice. yeah that's right, justice. isn't that enough of a theme for you?"

someone told me that opera is a perfect composite art form consisting in elements of dance, music, theatre, and visual effects. sometimes it's just that: the sheer overwhelming artistic value, the athleticism of the artists on the stage, the spectacle of it, the orchestra, the libretto...

Reactions: DevilDoll
I really enjoy the emotions I feel when I listen to music. I just never attribute it to the artist. Rather I see my experience as my own, they are my emotions. To me, the artist is allowing me to experience the music as I can, at my level. Many times I will listen to a song and it will have different flavors and nuances (as stated earlier) but I always figure that is because of me. Not to be selfish but I don't really try with any kind of artistic creation to figure out the artist per se. That is why I see art as such a gift.

I really enjoy the emotions I feel when I listen to music. I just never attribute it to the artist.
+1
I hardly ever think of the artist's experience when listening to a song... I'm more interested in what my reaction is and why I am reacting.

Do you "read" emotions in musical pieces? Do you find that you can pick up emotional sensations, besides your own personal feelings about the music, from the mood or tone of the song?

Do you find that you can pick up on the artist's emotions in the pieces, emotions which are not an obvious part of the music or song?

Yes especially when I listen to people who are really putting something into their music. You can feel it in how they play. I can really feel Hendrix and listen too him often because of it. Crowded House is another as well as Depeche Mode. Of course Mozart is a no brainier. There are loads of others.​

I don't think I could separate the tone of the song from the artist's emotions creating the song. In essence, being able to do so baffles me.

Yes, and yes, based on lyric, chord progression, melody and harmony (and its resolution), melodic pitch direction, instrumentation, arrangement, mix, and timbre, among other things.

Then again, I don't have any way of discerning if those things I hear are actually in the music in question, or an aspect of my perception, since all I have is my perception.

Sure, with the same caveat as above.

No, but then again my sense is that with art in general, the internal experience of the artist is near-invisible.

cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
I absolutely do! I don't think I've ever used the Artist's inteneded emotion, I've always just had my own. Which is why some sad songs are my happy songs, because the scales make me smile :)

Side note: (not necessarily off topic) Does anyone else here experience minor (or major) occurrences of synaesthesia? I often "see" the notes visually, and the color and light change drastcally, kind of like when you stare into a bright light, and you see green for a bit, the same happens to me, but even if I'm not looking into any bright lights. I also feel the music in my body, but like... it's way more involved than head banging, like I can honestly feel it in my bones... it's unsettling, but I crave it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaesthesia

And yet, no matter how much I love listening to music, as well as singing, I can't sing worth crap. :m142:

Yes, music for me paints a picture, I love listening to songs which are composed on different layers and how they all come together. Every instrument in a piece of music from the singer to the drummer contributes to the overall emotion of a song. I love complexity in my music.

Absolutely, the singer for me provides the face for a piece of music, but not the body. For me its the instruments that do that.

Yes, again, I am a very big fan of complexity in my music. I like it when there are underlying emotions because every time I listen to it, I'm not listening to the same piece. It allows me to discover something new every time. I think the same way for a visual work of art too.
Being a musician has allowed me to listen to music from a completely different angle, and in many ways it has opened me up to whole new world.

Justin Bieber vs Hans Zimmer? There's no contest. Listen to the two and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
Yes, I do. It's on a case by case basis it seems though... Most stuff I hear these days is cut up in a studio with effects...

I would like to rephrase what I said:

I don't read feelings in music, I feel the intended emotion.

Opera is a very emotional thing. That is part of its appeal. However I must also consider the physical aspect to the music as well since opera is not a purely auditory experience but visual.
This is why I find opera to be emotional; it overwhelms one sensory perception and floods others.

Last edited:
Nope.

A bit?

Some has feeling of...certain 'depth', like between his / her voice, there's a ton of experiences hanging under (even when it's not true). It's like reading a novel and seeing what was emphasized, what wasn't, how it's being emphasized, explained, sung....then suddenly a image or a random feeling comes. it's not even about an artist in entirety; I like Kanye West's 'Jesus Walks' because it has a ...certain gritty feeling that makes it more 'real' than any of his other songs, for example. On the other hand, Sade's 'By Your Side', while sweet and gentle, has a different feeling..like...she's gone through a lot to be able to SING that.

And then there's Darren Hayes. D: and Sarah McLachlan.

Reactions: Gaze