Do you like your voice? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Do you like your voice?

I love my voice *insert vanity here*, it's deep and intense. When I was younger (and religious) I used to do readings at church and later gave the valedictory speech in junior high. People have told me that I should get into radio, if strangers hear me talking with a friend in a public place, they'll stop what they're doing and look at me. Sometimes I like this, often it's weird/slightly annoying.

I dig my voice. It's fairly deep without having that nicotine-induced rasp.

I like my singing voice, but not my speaking voice or laughs.
When I hear it recorded back I cringe, and also it sounds too deep at times, too mousy & childlike at others.
I have this one laugh that sounds like a drunk mouse with hiccups. It's highly amusing to others.
I try to restrain it, but if I am tired & slap-happy it slips out and I get the giggle fits.
Annoying... adorable... who's to say?

I've been told I have a frog in my throat.
I recorded myself for a project, and it sounds like a shy nerd trying to discuss technicalities but retreating to the blurry sound of an injured kitten curled up in its cubby.

When I try to project the voice in normal conversation, it sounds like I'm balancing on one foot on stilts trying not to put emotion into what I'm saying.

Reactions: barbad0s
I love my voice but it pisses others off. Oh well!

Reactions: jyrffw54
i don't mind my voice, i suppose. i generally only become self-conscious when faced with difference. speaking with people from other countries makes me aware of how 'australian' i sound.

no no no no no god no

luckily most others dont like it either

I don't like my voice, it's too soft, and disappears sometimes when I'm speaking, causing me to get embarrassed, cough, and repeat what I already said. And I have a weird hybrid accent that confuses people. What a freak! :p

I've been told I sound like a boy going through puberty. I've also been told I have a nice voice and should be a radio broadcaster or something. I've always been told it makes me sound really old and mature, and that it is a little surprising because of the way I look.

Whenever I hear recordings of my voice as a toddler, it sounded a little low and raspy like I was possessed and needed and exorcism, so I guess I've always been like this. That might explain my personality too.

My voice is not raspy though, it's actually pretty low and smooth and mellow. Like I used to sing jazz choir in high school, and my teacher thought I might've been a contra-alto. Sometimes when we were short on male tenors my teacher would get me to sing tenor. Before, I had real difficulty with singing high....the teacher would play a high note and get me to sing it and then he and the whole class would laugh at me, but I've since trained my voice.

when played back to be via recording, I hate it... nasally to me.

^ definitely.

The short answer is not really.

It's funny. I recently noticed how differently I sound when I'm speaking with different people. Males, females, professors, strangers, family, etc. This came to mind because I've been reading a book about body language, and I read that mirroring another person's body language is a way for people to show agreement or approval. You know...the couple that has been together for ages and is starting to look like one another. This is true because they've learned to mirror one another's facial expressions over the years. This even extends to voice, tone, and to an extent accents as well. I noticed how differently I speak to my female friends compared to my male friends. I think I adapt accordingly without really noticing I'm doing it, although thinking about it it's pretty clear. What's even stranger is realizing someone else is unconsciously mirroring my voice/way of speaking. I think I noticed a case where this happened this week. Interesting stuff.

I notice this too. They say the highest form of flattery is imitation.

I guess I like my voice.. I don't know, I don't really see it as something to like or dislike since it's not something you can really change much. I guess mine is a bit unique. I like my voice better with all languages I've spoken or tried speaking EXCEPT cantonese though (my native languge with english), and that's because cantonese forces your voice to be a bit nasally and it feels really limiting to my natural speaking voice idk how to better explain it.

A lot of people tell me that I sound like a sex operator. When I get comments like that, it makes me feel weird. I used to have a speech impediment when I was younger because I learned three different languages at similar times... so there are still some words in English I cannot say. I've always sounded a bit older than my age so I don't necessarily mind my voice anymore, it's growing on me. I unfortunately don't have a thick NY accent, but I kinda wish I did. :/

A British friend of mine told that I should do audio taping for self-help books because my voice sounds soothing and pleasant... I actually find his voice more to die for than my own.... I think deep, British accents are so yum. :D

I don't like it, I think it sounds girly and too child like. Foreigners like my slavic accent though, apparently it's sexy and/or vampire like. :m063:

Reactions: Radiantshadow
nope; my voice doesn't sound like me :mad:

I sound like a really nerdy and sort of whiny Kurt Cobain... my singing voice is really nasally and bad.

Reactions: knight in battle
I've been told that my voice is "soft and vibrant".

I don't know, but I do like my voice, because it's part of me, and I like me. :]

I feel the same as Odyne. I like my voice because its mine. It has a lot of room for improvement and seems to sound different depending on who I speak to.

Ive been learning about this- voice analysis/therpay - http://www.biowaves.com/. I met a lady thats been doing this for 3 years and she has some fascinating insight. And she was telling me that they were going to use sound therapy to blast a tumour at the local hospital. I dont know how that went but Im curious. I know that CSIRO uses sound to package and process food. Im going to borrow my friends guitar tuner and tune my voice. Ive been singing a lot more lately (Im terrible) and Im trying to pay attention to the tones.

Since we're talking about our voices, I figured I'd do a recording of mine:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0den7UsI8lz

Feel free to jump on the band wagon too... might as well since we're talking about them! :p

I'd like to update my response, since I think I must've been in a crabby/bitchy/self hatey mood when I wrote it. Earlier in this thread I said I didn't like it, but I'm realizing I'm pretty indifferent. Still pretty sure I have a lisp. But who cares? Pssht. It's a voice, and it's mine. It's not bad, or good, it just is what it is.

Not in the slightest.

But asides from occasionally affecting my confidence, it's no big deal. As my accent seems to be appreciated by just about anyone I consider 'foreign', either in a sexy or comedic way... Pretty lucky I guess.