Do you like your voice? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Do you like your voice?

Topic inspired by this thread:
Voice Personality- http://forums.infjs.com/showthread.php?t=12942

So, do you like your voice? - Tone, pitch, quality, loudness, softness, etc.

If yes, why?

If not, why? What would you change about it?

In my head I sometimes like it, but I'm very nasally the past few (weeks? months? year?) and it drives me nuts. Speaking voice I don't pay a lot of attention to unless it's recorded, and I hate how the recordings sound. Singing I think I sound decently sometimes, but if I think someone is actually focusing on "my" voice while I'm singing, I can't hold a tune for anything. I don't know that I've ever heard a recording of me singing, and I probably don't want to. I tend to talk a lot (I really think it's a defense mechanism...if I'm talking and talking about this subject that I don't have any real emotional attachment to then there's no room for someone else to jump in and bring up something that will expose a part of me, or bring up emotions in me) and I wonder what other people think of my voice (other than that I sound stuffy lately because I am.) I do like that i'm able to project my voice well, and that (when I can breathe through my nose) I have a decent range (low alto to moderately high soprano.) I also fall into accents...my older siblings grew up in FL and then I grew up with them in NY. I do tend to say Cawfee, Ornge, etc. a la New York, but if I am around my older siblings or other southerners, or just overly excited and talking fast I drop into a southern accent. I live in the rural southwest now (for the past 6 or so years) and do occasionally pick up their accent and speech patterns as well. (I bet I'll be more self conscious when speaking today...nothing like the internet to foster insecurities!)

Reactions: jyrffw54
I think I'm becoming obsessed with my voice:). I talk in a low baritone range but sing tenor. Lately I've found a way to speak where the voice sounds very booming , sounds alot like stage actor's voice. I've constantly been trying to speak in that manner which annoys my friends:) Geez....

So, I'm coming to realize that my voice has a bigger impact than I could ever have thought on my own personality and how others perceive especially in positions of authority. For example, I recorded my voice last night and it sounds so soft and childlike. I also keep getting the same comments about it which makes me think that it hasn't changed even as I get older and that maybe it's not going to change. But realizing how my voice sounds also makes me understand why people perceive me the way they do and why they sometimes speak to me as if I'm a youngun or a kid, because I guess I sound like one! :D

Reactions: knight in battle
My natural voice is low, deep, and resonant, but I often change it into something quieter, smoother, and more soothing. I greatly dislike being the center of attention. Sometimes, my moderated voice conflicts with my reserved body language and precise articulation, generating confusion about my personality. Folks generally think me either more passive or more stiff and formal than I really am. It's frustrating, at times.

Reactions: knight in battle
I do,
I have a hypnotic voice.
I really should become a hypnotist.

I LOVE MY VOICE!

I love how loud it can be!
I love how pretentious can be!
I love how silly it may sound to others!
I love its mid-high pitch!
I love how it does not fit my physical look!

I SIMPLY LOVE IT!

Lol...old thread

I quess to me it depends on the mood I'm in a time. If I'm in a thoughtful mood, then my voice is deep,sound, full, elegant and captivating. When I speak about something that I like, people stop and listen to me. I've been complimented that I have a captivating voice. But the problem is that people don't want to hear me speaking of stuff all the time. It becames boring. That's why I strugle so much, because I don't have a natural colored, high voice, with a playful vibe in it. Sometimes it gets that vibe in it, when I'm in a mood for silly things, but in general not.

The thing with my voice is apparently, it can be soothing which is good if you are into meditations but when giving serious instruction, I think it can be tough to take it as seriously. I've always wanted to try voice over animation but never had the chance. If not that, maybe I'll start a line of meditation videos. lol

The thing with my voice is apparently, it can be soothing which is good if you are into meditations but when giving serious instruction, I think it can be tough to take it as seriously. I've always wanted to try voice over animation but never had the chance. If not that, maybe I'll start a line of meditation videos. lol

I never had the problem to be taken seriously he he. But I have the other problem. I'm taken way too seriously sometimes, it becomes so frustrating. Some people have said they are scared of me, because I appear very unfriendly or intimidating. But that's just my face when I'm in thinking mode. And it's so funny, I laugh so hard when I hear this, because inside I'm like a teddy bear.

Just recently, at a jazz pub, after the concert, I went to talk with the bass guitarist. And the guy ( a masive one) was just so polite with me, looking at me so intimidated. It was unbelievable. But this is not apply to all people. A girl I just met recently said I look so cute and non threatening. I was a bit nervous when I heard it, and she was pick on it and making fun of me.
After they get to know me, people can't believe how they perceived me firstly. I planned to change my face appearence, but it just won't go. Sometimes I'm really grateful for it though, while othertimes I feel a bit overhelmed and missunderstood .

I don't like my voice. I am always surprised how different it sounds to other people. o.o In my head it's... deeper and lower than how other people hear it? I do like the melodic sense of it though... Dunno how to explain that, LOL.

My voice never sounds on a recording the way it does in my head. Higher pitched, girlish, slight lisp with my S's. It's almost foreign hearing it. "Do I sound like that?"
Yes. Yes you do.

not particularly, no.

its ok. i think i usually pitch it too high. still, i think it sounds better to others than it does internally. someone in a bar once told me that i have an incredibly sexy voice. im not sure they were concentrating properly. i think its how you use it that matters and you can practice to improve the sound of it to others. i have a special phone sex voice that i developed to use for nice customers at work and they love it.

ive met people who have naturally very beautiful high pitched voices but i think theyre rare and most people shine in their lower register. most peoples higher registers are squeaky and squealy and discordant and they would do better to drop to the natural, comfortable lower ranges of their voice. but we all get anxious and excitable and irritable. at least, i always notice my pitch rising when im in those sorts of moods.

nah. i don't talk much for a reason lol

Other people tell me they like my voice, so I'm cool with that.

I like speaking out loud, articulating myself well, and being able to get large ideas across when I converse, but whenever I hear an audio of myself speaking.....I shudder.