Do you hide parts of your self? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do you hide parts of your self?

Original question:

Who, me? No. No! I mean... why, do I LOOK like I am hiding something? Cause obviously i am not. I mean, what would I have to hide? No, no. I'm not hiding anything.

Latest Question:

All of the time. And it is really frustrating to see how hard it is to curb this.

Do you hide parts of your self/personality because you're afraid of the way others will respond or because you're worried that people will not be accepting?

Yes and no, there are many reasons for keeping parts of you to you. Fear, insecurity, humbleness , strength.

Do you hide parts of your self/personality because you're afraid of the way others will respond or because you're worried that people will not be accepting?

Past experience has taught me that nobody in the womens' dorms are accepting of those parts, especially campus public safety personnel. Waste of a good trenchcoat I tellz ya.

The bigger question is "do we hide parts of ourselves from ourselves, and how can we possibly be aware enough of all the parts of ourselves not to do so?"

this is the reason i like to travel a lot. and hang out with animals.

I wouldn't say I hide parts of myself.
It's more that I don't outwardly express all aspects of myself.
I don't intentionally not share things.

I don't ever present anything that's not there, but I censor myself quite a bit. I wouldn't say anyone gets a false picture (of course, what happens within their own minds is out of my hands), but it's easy to get an incomplete one.

This applies to me as well.

Last edited:
The bigger question is "do we hide parts of ourselves from ourselves, and how can we possibly be aware enough of all the parts of ourselves not to do so?"

Good question. I can't speak for others but I think there could be parts of myself that I'm denying, maybe because I'm not mature enough to do so or because I'm afraid of seeing what's there... Although I think that, with age and the mistakes that accompany it, one becomes aware of those parts eventually.

Good question. I can't speak for others but I think there could be parts of myself that I'm denying, maybe because I'm not mature enough to do so or because I'm afraid of seeing what's there... Although I think that, with age and the mistakes that accompany it, one becomes aware of those parts eventually.

Sadly this happens less frequently than we might wish. I can name a few older people who are sorely in need of an insight upgrade!
Jungs concept of the persona and shadow is very illuminating.

The more we project ourselves as one thing or another- the more we deny the rest of our personality.
So if you put out an image of yourself as a very intellectual person- you might well be denying or neglecting your sensual side.
I think the whole "persecute and punish" stream of criminal justice very much plays on all of our unconscious awareness that we also have the capacity for "evil" behaviour within us. The louder and more strident a person is in this regard the more I think that they are a repressed and ignorant person.
I think the same about people who are very loudly anti- homosexual " We all know what bits of your unconscious you are scared of!" is what goes on in my mind when I hear someone ranting about gays.

The more we project ourselves as one thing or another- the more we deny the rest of our personality.
So if you put out an image of yourself as a very intellectual person- you might well be denying or neglecting your sensual side.
I think the whole "persecute and punish" stream of criminal justice very much plays on all of our unconscious awareness that we also have the capacity for "evil" behaviour within us. The louder and more strident a person is in this regard the more I think that they are a repressed and ignorant person.

Quite true. Denying, suppressing, and ignoring one aspect of the self for long periods of time can create psychological issues later on as it fails to recognize the existence and importance of the whole self. For a long time, the only aspect of my personality which seemed important was the academic or intellectual side and this has affected me over the years. The social side, etc. was weakly developed. I'm just now coming to understand how unhealthy this was.

Last edited:
I hide everything I possibly can. I very rarely express anything that I am feeling. Everything that I say or do is just a very shallow skim of the surface. People can't handle my intensity or depth. I learned that the hard way and as a result automatically will focus almost all conversation on the other person. People don't "know" me, not even people who think they're my closest, lifelong friends.

I hide everything I possibly can. I very rarely express anything that I am feeling. Everything that I say or do is just a very shallow skim of the surface. People can't handle my intensity or depth. I learned that the hard way and as a result automatically will focus almost all conversation on the other person. People don't "know" me, not even people who think they're my closest, lifelong friends.

Sandra's a man.

Notmeganfox is really Sandra bullock

Nice :p
So cheeky

Holy smokes this is hilarious. I was sooo drunk when I posted that. I just wanted to insult Sandra, as is my custom. Now that I am sober, I see what an epic fluke that was.

Holy smokes this is hilarious. I was sooo drunk when I posted that. I just wanted to insult Sandra, as is my custom. Now that I am sober, I see what an epic fluke that was.

LOL hilarious

this is a very reasonable statemend

..... For a long time, the only aspect of my personality which seemed important was the academic or intellectual side and this has affected me over the years. ..........

I can relate to this

I hide everything I possibly can.......... People can't handle my intensity or depth. ..........

don't try to analyze me, I'm too deep.

Tried anyone lately?? ; )

Yeah, I hide all my less than positive emotions; anger, sadness, loneliness. I'm sure people can still tell something is wrong, but I'm just not one to burden others with all the 'i've no business feeling this way' feelings

I totally do that too, unless I'm pushed too far. I know there is a darker side in me somewhere, but it is definitely well hidden.

i think I hide just enough to keep people wondering, but there's really nothing there in the end that's really hidden. It just seems that way.

Last edited: