I can appreciate horrible things. Most people find being on the
elliptical for two hours horrible. I find it not unpleasant or horrible
just very dull.

The problem with this kind of thinking is that what is horrible
is a matter of perception. Someone with animal dander allergies
probably finds zoos horrible places, animal right activists probably
find zoos horrible, young lads and lasses think the zoo is the best
thing since breast feeding.

I find anything unpleasant to be difficult to tolerate. It's one of the reasons why I identify with the enneagram 9. Lately, I've been reading Steven Pinker's Better Angels of our Nature which is a scientific analysis of the decline of per capita violence (including rape, war, torture, slavery, assault, etc.) throughout human history. There's some criticism of Pinker's numbers but you can't deny that torture and execution were a pretty regular thing up until the last few hundred years. They were a major form of entertainment---frequently participatory with stonings and pillories---for thousands of years. Now we get our thrills from simulated violence---sports and violent movies and video games. It seems like it's something that people are attracted to.

Last edited:
Reactions: hush
darkness is part of b eing a human. i enjoy brutality, (being myself a little violent) death, doom, and express it through both music and writing and actual actions xD
im a misanthrope, pessimist and nihilist, but i also have a nice side! im deeply empathic to other people (depends on the person) and care about humanity in general. I hate it but i feel compelled to help it xD so dont be ashamed its normal. I think that to really appreciate nice things you have to know the bad ones

Totally agree. I've done stuff that makes me wonder. I know I'm supposed to feel bad, and I do I guess. I wouldn't do them again, but at the time it seems pretty dark and I'm just drawn to it.
I think it's evolution and we are made this way to survive. Not sure how it's a part of surviving, but it seems we have a real propensity for it.

There isn't enough verbosity in your post to excuse you from being a horrible person. I'm sorry.

There are many different stages of life, and some of them involve the processes of decay/fermentation/putrefaction. Those stages are necessary in order for new things to begin. I think that understanding death and destruction are very important tools, especially for someone with an idealist temperament.

I think that if you acquaint yourself with Jung, and Joseph Campbell- you'll see that what you are dealing with is the dualism of "higher reality" and the "shadow realm" using more Jungian concepts. If you familiarize yourself with Joseph Campbell then you would see this as a stage in the hero's journey- going down into the abyss in order to gain new information which will help create a better society.

Most people tend to spend their lives bouncing back and forth from dualistic notions, but to rise above dualism is to enter the realm of real truth. There is always something beyond living and dying, and that is the spirit.

Sorry, I digress.

As for me personally, I used to spend a lot of time on this website called ffffound.com which is very similar to tumbler, and I was very attracted to dark images or masochistic images that would be posted on there, but if people knew me, they'd be very surprised that I was on there. As I see it, those images might express how I feel internally, and so looking at them is kind of soothing or cathartic- like other people have gone through pain similar to mine, and it alleviates my utter loneliness. But when you think about it, it might seem kind of fucked up.

I tend to fall along the lines with [MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION] about having a facination to understand the motives behind the actions. I did a great deal of reasearch about WWII but not to the extent of really delving into every nitty gritty horrific detail--just more of a historic perspective on the subject. I found the Bataan Death March--read this huge book--to be one of the most horrific things I ever read beause it gave a human voice to the suffering and I likened it to the Trail of Tears. Coming from a historical background with the People being victims of the American Holocaust, I have very little illusions about our ability as humans to act in horrific ways. We just fool ourselves into thinking the fabic of the history of our collective existence isn't steeped in blood and sorrow at every turn. As an overall group, we have demonstrated time and time again we will do our worst and blather on all sorts of inane justifications like "you should of fought harder" and such.

I have two alter egos:

1. A paragon of kindness.
2. A paragon of cruelty.

I am neither - and both the nice and horrible draw me.

Last edited:
dead baby jokes are hilarious, and if you disagree you are WRONG. :m182:

Reactions: mochi
I am fascinated by the shadows within us,
bloody madnesses written as history,
crimson rivers leading to hearts of
darkness, the cracking chime
of insanity's bell from an
overdose of separation
anxiety.

In essence: Yes, I enjoy dissecting
our mental drives and dives.
As a slave to the question
"Why?", it's inevitable.

I don't enjoy experiencing horrible things--- and I don't enjoy inflicting them on others. Ever.

not even inflicting horrible things on the most sociopathic person I've ever ever met. I feel compassion for them, for they are indeed 'interesting'.

@Incarnate

Is your repetitive insistence that you don't like horrible things intended to convince us, or yourself?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Shakespeare (Hamlet).

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Yes to some degree.

I wanted to use this pic as an avatar. But I felt most people would find it offensive.

1320009290.balddumborat_flutterlois.png

Its a crossover of MLP FiM and Amnesia the dark descent. I was going to use it mostly as a metaphore of the nice person be chewed up and spit out by the world. As fluttershy is very nice (somtimes a doormat)

I want to figure out why people devise cruelty. I wonder if it can be isolated and removed without turning into a wild Mr. Hyde.

Its not a pretty path, but its not a foremost interest for me either.

I want to figure out why people devise cruelty. I wonder if it can be isolated and removed without turning into a wild Mr. Hyde.

Its not a pretty path, but its not a foremost interest for me either.
I am interested in the Why as well...
I suppose it's like a cycle, and those who have suffered cruelty inflict it on others?
But then what of others who also suffer cruelty and take the opposite path?
And then those who have not suffered cruelty but are just cruel?
And if it has anything to do with a cycle, where did it start and how and why?

I think it must be brain chemistry, some people just have cruel chemistry..or mental illness...
Maybe some are more prone to snapping and becoming cruel than others are--they are not resilient.
Psychopaths and sociopaths are characterized as mentally ill, not evil, after all..

But that makes me think of how much ability we truly have to make decisions, since it seems our physiology is making them for us.

Last edited:
I am interested in the Why as well...
I suppose it's like a cycle, and those who have suffered cruelty inflict it on others?
But then what of others who also suffer cruelty and take the opposite path?
And then those who have not suffered cruelty but are just cruel?
And if it has anything to do with a cycle, where did it start and how and why?

I think it must be brain chemistry, some people just have cruel chemistry..or mental illness...
Psychopaths are characterized as mentally ill, not evil, after all..

It is interesting. :) One can hope that some people believe in not repaying wrong with wrong.
Although... for some wouldn't that seem like letting injustice pass, and for others it would seem like enduring the cost of actual justice?

Maybe its a journey of growing up or humanity?
Hmm.
I'm not sure - I suspect I have little wisdom to add at this point.
:m037:

I think the real attraction is in the new perspectives you gain from reading things like biographies of people who have committed heinous acts, or accounts of terrific things.
To put it in MBTI speak: Our Ni function "wants" (well it's not an entity so it doesn't want...but you get the point ;) ) us to have all the perspectives, the good, the bad, the ugly, to "see" everything at once, to have all the possible ways a thing can be viewed in a non-discriminant way. Then we use the secondary Fe to judge the best (socially and humanely speaking) possible perspective to "endorse". That's where we say "In my opinion this is good and this is not...". More the information (termed loosely...experiental, scientific, anecdotal...you name it, someone's painting on the matter of let's say "Marriage" provides a kind of information to store away).
Inferior Se I think manifests when INFJs, because of one reason or another refuse to shift perspective and state something "just is specifically that way no other option.. " and I think it's understandable being Fe empathic. It's taxing to take some POVs into consideration.
The thing, from someone else's perspective is it's of course impossible to discern wether this is happening because sometimes the obstinacy in stating an opinion is because it's actually a Ni type conclusion, with nuanced intricacy and considerable background info behind it and infact a very educated and enlightened "opinion", carefully deemed as the best perspective, instead of just being a run of the mill half assed "opinion" like some think. One that's literraly just from the perspective of one ego identity, unable to see multiple POVs.
Yet sometimes because (in my case often of emotional reasons...like someone betraying my trust I might really refuse to look at it from their POV because I don't want to absolve them because I'm angry. Note though that even if I did I might judge the best perspective to be "being angry at someone" and take that course of action and still cut them out of my life or whatever what might happen. All this is internal and left to one's conscious)
Sorry for the ramble... What I'm getting at is that sometimes an attraction to the macabre is less an emotional attraction to macabre things or actually being macabre and more collecting info on macabre and of course the emotional experience is info of sorts too... X) ...I'm very rambly today...my apologies (suffering from insomnia lately)

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear, this has been one of the most enlightening threads I've ever posted. I've seen everything from rank revulsion to fear to genuine interest and empathy. I wonder sometimes if people can empathize with someone whose gone so far from the idea of a 'nominal' personality.

Two thirds of my friends think I'm the most sane and stable person they know. It's bizarre really considering my inner world is full of so much awful violence.