Do you enjoy horrible things? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do you enjoy horrible things?

I swear, this has been one of the most enlightening threads I've ever posted. I've seen everything from rank revulsion to fear to genuine interest and empathy. I wonder sometimes if people can empathize with someone whose gone so far from the idea of a 'nominal' personality.

Two thirds of my friends think I'm the most sane and stable person they know. It's bizarre really considering my inner world is full of so much awful violence.
Maybe it's just a matter of time then?

Horrible things? Like a road side accident, it tends to peak my curiosity when I come across it. You almost know there is something going on at an emotional level in that area - you sort of scan the incident and the people there to figure out the picture of what has happened.

Heehee... INTJ's can be so literal! It's okay. I don't mean road-side accidents so much as... oh wow, it's going to be like trying to explain fog to a blind person. I don't mean to say you're disabled in any way but we experience the world in different ways.

Horrible things for me tend to be extremely intense sensations of fear, disgust, pain, or empathy with someone who is evil.

I have the same interests in horrible things like that. I am thoroughly addicted to reading accounts about the Holocaust, 9/11, WWII, Bosnian genocide, Nagasaki, and Hiroshima. I've even looked up pictures of A-bomb survivors. I always tell myself that it's because I don't want to forget what humans are capable of when we forget our humanity and empathy at the door. It reminds me to never follow one person or group or even society in any direction without first asking myself if I would be doing this if everyone else wasn't or I wasn't being told to.

I do not enjoy horrible things. However, I do appreciate the funeral somberness that such can bring. I've always had a morbid/depressive bent to me, and that comes through in the kind of literature, movies, and music I like. With that said, I do not feel it helps people to pointlessly shock people's systems, like gore movies do. But presented in a way that respects the dead, you could certainly tell the stories of those who had suffered, and that can lead people to greater empathy. I think often that people run away screaming from anything morbid, heavy, or painful, and so never learn how to deal with pain, or relate to the hurting.