Do you constantly Diagnose people?

WellNoWonder

Peace Through Action
Dec 10, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Not necessarily with illness, but with what their inner peace/turmoil appears to be? (*edited to add: I don't think I'm using the right choice of words, but it came out this way. Do you understand what I am saying?)

I find myself watching the mannerisms or actions of people, and then sort of intuitively digging into their pasts to see what may have made them into the people they are today. I may focus on one person for 30 minutes to an hour in a social setting. I'm not like creepy watching the person, breathing down his (and it's usually a male) neck; I'm glancing from afar.

I find myself doing that here too. I spend time thinking about what may have been the past of posters who resonate more with me.

I think this is why I am so accepting and forgiving, especially of people who are very close to me.

There is always a story behind a face.

Last edited:
Funny, I do a good bit of that. Especially when I'm just starting to get to know someone. I think it's out of some desire to know if there's something dishonest about the person more than wanting to solve problems though.

if you are referring to analysing people to determine why do they behave and posses the personality that they do, then yes, I have a tendency to do it a lot. I usually do it to acquire a better understanding of the individual in question and their perspectives

Last edited:
Yep, i do. it's interesting.

I do it a lot, sometimes, if someone shows compassion towards me, I am inclined to help them through this analysis. Other times, if they are blatantly rude to me, I am fascinated to see what causes it.

Usually, it isn't for the other person, it is simply to get a better understanding. I use what I learn extensively to shape myself.

I do it a lot, sometimes, if someone shows compassion towards me, I am inclined to help them through this analysis. Other times, if they are blatantly rude to me, I am fascinated to see what causes it.

!!!!!!

Usually, it isn't for the other person, it is simply to get a better understanding. I use what I learn extensively to shape myself.

you always seem to post at the exact same time as me :becky:

I do it automatically. It is a little like observing a cloud, though, because my impressions tend to be rather nuanced, but inconclusive if that makes sense. I tend to remember things even from quite a long while back that relate to building complete pictures of people. Other details slip out of mind especially if they are arbitrary and disconnected like what I need to buy at the store.

I'll attempt an example. I once saw a video clip of someone who ended up offending other people online because it was somewhat angry. It never occurred to me to be offended because I noticed the person was feeling really uncomfortable and trying to project something. There was something about it that made me feel badly for the person, but I can't define what exactly. Watching it gave me a sense of feeling disconnected somehow, and to be trying but not seeing. That doesn't quite capture it, but it was something along those lines. There were quite a few layers going on which are hard to put into words. In a way I think I had more impressions about it than most of the other people (I keep mine unspoken in part because language doesn't capture it), but my impression was also less conclusive.

Every minute of every day. It's a sort of impulse. I don't feel like I have helped a person if I don't "diagnose" them with something, even if it isn't final.

Every minute of every day. It's a sort of impulse. I don't feel like I have helped a person if I don't "diagnose" them with something, even if it isn't final.

serious? I feel more like guilty because I find myself judgemental if I diagnose people. It is like I say to myself: "how can you put a word on someone without knowing him completely?

serious? I feel more like guilty because I find myself judgemental if I diagnose people. It is like I say to myself: "how can you put a word on someone without knowing him completely?
Probably the difference is the purpose of the diagnose. If Indy's diagnoses are aimed to contain solutions, suggestions, it helps to have a ready reaction. So he is prepared for future situations, accordingly. At least I imagine such a process as the way to become NF Judger.

I diagnose people, not with any accusation, but with sadness, because most often I'm not even sure there's a way to tell them anything, or that it would help them. So I also avoid this diagnosing deliberately sometimes.

Yes, because I believe that everyone has a medical problem.

I don't analyze much...I'm a big picture kinda guy. And I'm not very bright. :)

From your posts I do not gather either one of these observations. :)

all the time...I agree there is always a story...