Do you believe in destiny? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do you believe in destiny?

I do believe in destiny, in a sense, things are heading to only one inescapable conclusion.

And if they bite you your erased from time
Sounds like a good scifi story...

I assume you mean you die? Well not for most. Even a black widow will not kill a healthy person and a brown recluse bite will just kill the flesh until treated.
But seriously spiders so long as they dont crawl in your ear while you are sleeping are cool.

Did you know its estimated that most people will eat 10lbs of spiders in their lives and never know it? Most while they are sleeping. .. Not the spider, the person.

I assume you mean you die? Well not for most. Even a black widow will not kill a healthy person and a brown recluse bite will just kill the flesh until treated.
But seriously spiders so long as they dont crawl in your ear while you are sleeping are cool.

Did you know its estimated that most people will eat 10lbs of spiders in their lives and never know it? Most while they are sleeping. .. Not the spider, the person.

:m162: WHAT?! Please tell me that's not true.

Regardless of how one may intelligently try to understand destiny; the real significance of destiny is felt through active participation in one's life struggles and triumphs. Without consciously deciding to participate in one's own life it is fairly impossible to unfold one's destiny. In some ways destiny is revealed through pain and suffering and the slaying of one's shadow demons however it manifests in the person's life.

When I think of destiny I consider how really free will is probably an illusion because really we are all in one way or another bound to trying to achieve happiness. Can we really be free if this is the case? Destiny then makes firmer sense in a linear way but then crossed paths with something greater than myself; the source of happiness. I think we all see glimmers but no one sees the full picture.

Well, this thought helped me out of a hole or two; I am no different unless I say I am but even then, it probably isn't true x

Reactions: just me
Yeah, I do.

I think that in any given age there are so many experiences to be had on a planet such as this that we do come here to experience something specific ideally.

Free will makes things interesting and, whilst the potential and likely outcomes could be predicted, the future would remain ultimately unwritten.

I do believe that synchronicity is real and related to the ideal life experience. I think [MENTION=884]solongotgon[/MENTION] mentioned if something keeps cropping up that it is probably specifically significant to you and I'd agree with this. Free will can lead to full identification with the persona which may have priorities far from those of the self that will obscure this process.

Free will can lead to full identification with the persona which may have priorities far from those of the self that will obscure this process.

This is a very mature statement x

In my mind this ties into the variants of how and why we seek to be happy but really there can be a greater aspect beyond our view.

There are definitely experiences where I know that something is of significance, but finding out what that significance is can be a mystery and shrouded in doubt. For years I kept falling in to the same situation and would react in the same way, and I knew that in order to grow I had to harmonize with the situation. But my approach was wrong many times. While I knew what the approach should be, a part of me would resist until finally, I was finally able to overcome the disharmony. It required a change in perspective and a deeper understanding on an intuitive level. It was something I could not force upon myself. I had to persist over time and develop that part of me that I knew was seeking harmony.

But now that I feel that one disharmony has evolved into harmony, there are other aspects that need development as well. It doesn't seem like destiny, or one large event with an expected end point. Maybe the journey of life is but one epic adventure with numerous destinies that have the potential to become fulfilled. If not in this life, then maybe in others. There are just some relationships, events, and occurrences that add depth and dimension to your life and spirit.

Killing isn't quite the right word, because when you suffer a spider bit it retroactively erases you from history, no birth, no life no nothing. You know how In the bible it says only to fear god because while man can deestroy the body only god can destroy the soul, well that's how God does, you get bit by a spider. a soul eating time erasing spider.

Que sera, sera....

I believe in fate. Some things are meant to happen. I don't have a strict view of destiny. Destiny and free will are not mutually exclusive. People associated destiny with religious determinism. The assumption being God decided what you can or can't have, like a grumpy old man who stands over you telling you what you can or can't do. That's the reason why many don't like the sense of destiny. I think it's misunderstood.

The problem people have with destiny is the assumption that destiny means it's the only choice you have, and is undesirable and would require forcing themselves to submit to it, rather than wanting to do it. We do this because we envision destiny as someone taking power or control over our lives without having a say. This is reason why many people confuse religious determinism with Christian beliefs. Christ was never about simply doing things just for the sake of doing them. There was always a larger reason or purpose that would provide spiritual, personal, or social benefit. Christ said, don't do things simply for the sake of obligation or requirement. Do it out of love, reason, purpose and passion. Simply doing things because you have to was never a Christian principle, although people keep repeating it as a fact. People have always had choice.

People impose their own meanings or understandings on the word and don't really think about other perspectives on it. Just as people assume free will means freedom to whatever you want without accountability or responsibility. They are not the same things. Just because you have the "freedom" to make different choices, doesn't mean you're free from having to deal with the consequences of those choices. When many people say they want free will, what they really mean is they want freedom from suffering any negative consequences of exercising their free will.

You can be destined to do something and not do it. Of course, they are likely going to be consequences of not fulfilling your destiny, because everything has consequences no matter small. (Butterfly effect) Small and seemingly insignificant actions or choices can have major consequences, intended or otherwise. So, maybe we misunderstand destiny. Maybe your destiny is not some far off thing that's in the distance. Maybe it's something that you do everyday, that's not always obviously "destiny-ish" or noticeable or visible.

There's also the assumption that destiny assumes you don't want to do something.Maybe you're doing it and you don't even know you're doing it. Reminds me of Oedipus. He was supposedly fated to have particular events unfold in his life and was told about it ahead of time. Being told made him want to avoid having it come true, only to unintentionally fulfill it. However, if he hadn't been told about it ahead of time, would he have made different choices? How would we know? Was it necessary for him to know?

Furthermore, couldn't destiny simply be the fulfillment of our wants or desires from the perspective of a future self, not necessarily the present person? How many times has someone said, I could never do A, B, or C. Then years later, they are doing it, and could never see themselves doing anything else, and it was something they decided for themselves to do. They were not originally aware that it may have been something they were destined to do. So, simply because you can't see yourself fulfilling a destiny now, doesn't mean you wouldn't want to in the future. Maybe there's things you would have go through first to the point where you would want to fulfill that destiny.

I do not believe we are all inherently seeking some form of happiness.
art-artist-depression-drawing-Favim.com-717672.jpg

Destiny as in predetermined regardless of choice and changes made? No that's ridiculous to me, and far too limited for my tastes.
To quote some of Anne Rice's books- 'the world is a savage garden'; it is mesmerizing, gorgeous, infinite, chaotic and in wild constant motion. The idea that one single force is in complete control of every detail and bending all possibility to it's grand scheme....I'd have to get myself into too odd of a position to get a grip on that point of view.

However I do know meaningful encounters, soul-mates (buddies not romantic), and a continuation rather than an afterlife (energy can not be destroyed- it simply changes) do exist. I do not know these to be part of a iron clad destiny thought. It's rather an awe inspiring chaotic mess of possibilities, of chance and we continuously run across one another and those we knew previously in an intense momentum of energetic living and existence.

The idea of trying to define or limit such a tenacious conundrum of frantic intensity with a conclusion of being predestined, I find that idea slightly oppressive. :)

Last edited:
Yes, I do. I do not take this to be a denial of free will either. I believe in compatibilism. I think it impossible to not believe in fate or destiny, but rather it is an acceptance or rejection of one's belief regarding free will within such a context.

Firstly, every individual is a master of their own fates and not a slave to it.

I also very much dislike the term predestination. How is predestined distinct from the word destined? They mean the same thing and seems to be a pleonasm.

Last edited:
I think a given or chosen group of people can have something high to try and reach, and a figure as an example. Romans 9:23 states, "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren." ​
They must be conformed: how does this happen? Free will to choose the paths that would lead them there. If they had no choice, why would Jesus say, "Then I was inspired
Now I'm sad and tired.
After all I've tried for three years
Seems like ninety.
Why then am I scared
To finish what I started?
What you started.
I didn't start it.

God thy will is hard
But you hold every card.
I will drink your cup of poison.
Nail me to your cross and break me.
Bleed me, beat me,
Kill me, take me now,
Before I change my mind." from Jesus Christ Superstar, Garden of Gethsemane.

I fully believe in predestination. However, I feel it is understood by so few. Many are called, but few are chosen.

I feel we read too much into the words and their meanings.

Yes, I believe in destiny.

Reactions: Kgal