Distinguishing INFJs | INFJ Forum

Distinguishing INFJs

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
Because we are so prone to over analyzing ourselves, and have a tendency to remeasure ourselves to the 'INFJ model', I decided to start a thread about how to distinguish the various types of INFJs.

The INFJ Types - These types distinguish the strength of our individual preferences.

Type 1 INFJ - The classic INFJ. This person has a strong Ni, a solid Fe, an effective Ti, and a weak Se preference. This is the textbook INFJ model, but few of us fit is perfectly.

Type 2 INFJ - The INFP impersonator. This person prefers their Ni so much that they end up seeming like a P type, and their Fe trails in preference so much that they don't have full use of it, which makes it seem like Fi. The end result seems like an INFP, but is easily distinguished by the fact that this person is not as likely to be emotional, and will have a clear J streak to how they need to define things (called 'labels' and 'putting things in boxes' by INFPs).

Type 3 INFJ - The ENFJ impersonator. This person has a strong Ni as well as a strong Fe preference. They seem like they could be an ENFJ at times, not only because of the strong Fe, but because this person usually has a stronger than usual preference for Se due to the 'extroverted' leaning. This person will seem like an 'ambivert'. The end result seems like an ENFJ, but is easily distinguished by the fact that this person is much more interested in 'the nerdy details' and self reflection than drawing energy by going out and engaging the world and being alive in the moment.

Type 4 INFJ - The INTJ impersonator. This person has a strong Ti preference, sometimes seemingly stronger than their Fe preference, due to a leaning toward their introverted functions. This is most common in males, but certainly also able to occur in females. The end result seems like an INTJ, but is easily distinguished by the fact that this person is not as likely to accept things for what they are, and a pressing need to further define the model (manifestations of Ti vs Te).

Next comes the leanings. All of us lean on different shadow functions. Which ones we lean on has an effect on our personalities.

The Perception Leanings - INFJs will often have one or the other of these.

Ne leaning - The majority of Ni users lean on Ne. While having a preference for seeking the answer (Ni), they also have a creative streak to them, and an aversion to routine activities.

Si leaning - Some Ni users lean on Si, rather than Ne. This combination provides a very precise intuition that also has a very sharp memory. It brings with it an aversion to change.

The Judgment Leanings - INFJs will often have one or the other of these.

Fi leaning - INFJs who lean on Fi combine their sense of how things should be, and their compassion for others with a very clear sense of good and bad, right and wrong. These INFJs also tend to be a little more emotional than not, with a passionate nature that at times seems to drive them. They can be rather insistant about how they will help others, and what they feel is right.

Te leaning - INFJs who lean on Te combine a sense of how things relate to their desire to help others. This reduces the Fe sense of how things should be, and increases the Fe ability to accept people for who they are and know what that person needs. At times, this leaning can cause an INFJ to seem very meek, affable, and very subserviant, but it also creates an amazing benevolence within them.

Last edited:
Reactions: futuresound7
Hmmm this sounds interesting, I'd say that I could be Type 4 INFJ - The INTJ impersonator with Si and Te leaning.

In this model I'd be a Type 4 or a Type 2 with Ne, Fi leans. Not sure which would be dominant, Fi or Ne leaning.

Last edited:
Hmm, I needed a second opinion for this one, but I am 4th with some 3rd, and I lean to Ne and Fi.

I tend to get more and more Ti and Se the madder I get. I'll start out emotional but then I'll shut down and turn into a robot demanding clarity of details and no vague or fluffy words, and people being completely direct.

I'm not sure which type best represents me on this scale, but I can say Te for judgment leaning does suit me. Not sure of my perception or where I fit on the INFJ scale, though.

I tend to get more and more Ti and Se the madder I get. I'll start out emotional but then I'll shut down and turn into a robot demanding clarity of details and no vague or fluffy words, and people being completely direct.

This is exactly Beebe's model of stress adaptation. When our current function preferences cannot solve an important issue, the mind adapts by reordering its function preferences.

INFJs first step into ENFJ mode, becoming more accommodating and focused and affective. This is our first 'take charge' reaction to stress. We start by becoming more charming and taking 'the nice guy' approach. Type 3 INFJs have spent a fair to large amount of time in this mode, which is what has developed their Fe.

If this does not solve the issue, we then hunker down and turn off the emotions, and focus on handling it ourselves by moving into an ISTP mode, which elevates our Ti. At this point we start to become the direct robots you've mentioned. Type 4 INFJs have spent a fair amount of time in this mode, which is what has developed their Ti.

However, if neither of these approaches works, we step into ESTP mode, in which we toss our Ni and Fe aside, and become very blunt, demanding, and focused on solving the issue by any means necessary. This is our last resort 'take charge' mode, and we're pretty hardcore once we're in it. This mode is often reserved for extreme circumstances, and is one of the reasons INFJs tend to be great in a crisis. However, this mode is certainly our least flattering. INFJs who have been forced to spend a lot of time in this mode have been forced to develop their Se and Ti, but due to the amount of stress it takes to get an INFJ to this mode, the individual will likely have developed other psychological issues and / or coping mechanisms - sometimes making them difficult to type.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which type best represents me on this scale, but I can say Te for judgment leaning does suit me. Not sure of my perception or where I fit on the INFJ scale, though.

Yes, you seemed like a Te lean in your video. As far as your Perception lean, I think you are rather balanced, but lean more toward Ne. You're a creative person inherently, and are very good at outside the box spotting - the ability to leap beyond logic to find the answer with Ni. Si leaning people are very good at inside the box spotting - meaning that once they've learned a system, their pattern recognition and prediction within that system is profound.

However, if neither of these approaches works, we step into ESTP mode, in which we toss our Ni and Fe aside, and become very blunt, demanding, and focused on solving the issue by any means necessary. This is our last resort 'take charge' mode, and we're pretty hardcore once we're in it. This mode is often reserved for extreme circumstances, and is one of the reasons INFJs tend to be great in a crisis. However, this mode is certainly our least flattering. INFJs who have been forced to spend a lot of time in this mode have been forced to develop their Se and Ti, but due to the amount of stress it takes to get an INFJ to this mode, the individual will likely have developed other psychological issues and / or coping mechanisms - sometimes making them difficult to type.

I've found this mode increases my assertiveness loads. Even though it may be biting and negative, you can sure as hell put people in their place, set clear boundaries, express your immediate feelings, tell people off and actually get what you want.

Yes, you seemed like a Te lean in your video. As far as your Perception lean, I think you are rather balanced, but lean more toward Ne. You're a creative person inherently, and are very good at outside the box spotting - the ability to leap beyond logic to find the answer with Ni. Si leaning people are very good at inside the box spotting - meaning that once they've learned a system, their pattern recognition and prediction within that system is profound.

Ah! Thanks for the insights! Thank you for the kind words - I can never read myself very well. I even have problems with the tests because my perception of myself can be off.

I probably an ENFJ impersonator, with a Te leaning.

I've found this mode increases my assertiveness loads. Even though it may be biting and negative, you can sure as hell put people in their place, set clear boundaries, express your immediate feelings, tell people off and actually get what you want.

Boy howdy, and man are they surprised when our ESTP side jumps out! Hehe. I think this compounds the effect of putting people in their place... not expecting it out of us.

Damnit, I'm an INFP. I don't qualify.

Actually, this theory would apply to INFPs (or any other type) in the same way as INFJs. You guys go ENFP, ISTJ, then ESTJ when stressed.

Ah! Thanks for the insights! Thank you for the kind words - I can never read myself very well. I even have problems with the tests because my perception of myself can be off.

You're welcome hun. You know I think you are awesome!

I probably an ENFJ impersonator, with a Te leaning.

I am very inclined to agree. I also think you lean Ne. You and I are a lot alike, but you're Te and I'm Fi.

I think I might lean heavily on Si and Te, but I am not quite certain. I really don't know what to think anymore. A lot of people online are actually starting to believe I am an INFP which will make me a type 2 others think I might still be an ENFJ which will put me on type 3. I still believe I have a very borderline F/T so that would put me in type 4.

I just know one thing: I am not a classical INFJ.

Actually, this theory would apply to INFPs (or any other type) in the same way as INFJs. You guys go ENFP, ISTJ, then ESTJ when stressed.

Except, I don't know which once I am, because there's no thread like this for INFPs. Ha. Not that I'd expect there to be one, seeing as how this is an INFJ forum.

great. i would say im more of a type 4; perhaps a tinge of type 2

I think I'm a classic INFJ, because none of those seem to fit me. :p

I am very inclined to agree. I also think you lean Ne. You and I are a lot alike, but you're Te and I'm Fi.

Yup. I think I confuse my Ne and my Ni sometimes.

Best initial guess of self: Type 2 INFJ with preference lean Si and Te.

Interesting... I will have to put some thought into where I belong. I'm assuming I'd be a type 2, and I'm not sure of my leaning.