Detecting and dealing with Fakeness | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Detecting and dealing with Fakeness

Well crap...

I'm definitely 'fake' at times. I'm rarely ever without some ploy or 'mask' when communicating with people. I act the way that will generate the results that I think are needed. I pretend to be outgoing and businesslike while at work, I shoot the breeze with costumers and my supervisors, I give people half-hearted compliments when I see that they'd benefit from them, I tell lies when the truth would be worse, I love the spotlight and don't shy away from it (and I'll fake it til I make it)...

And I don't feel bad about any of that.

I however, will not act dishonestly in a way such as to persuade someone or try and 'sell' them something. I'll humor them and play along with their games just enough to come off as friendly but confident in my own opinions/values.

I see nothing wrong with being fake in a non-malicious way and I have no problems playing the games of the world. Do I think their stupid? Probably, but you can't win if you don't play the game.

Last edited:
I just lost the game

We call certain people 'fake' but to them they are not fake, they are sincerely living their lives the way they want to.
We just call it fake because they are so different from us.
I'm fake all the time too. I will smile at the busdriver even though I'm not very happy so it's a fake smile. Better than scowling at him!
When people model the current 'trend' of behaviour, emo for example, I consider them to be trying on a fake personality. They are clearly exhibiting what they've seen and heard through the media and on the internet especially. Emo kids aren't encouraged to have original thoughts or ideas. But to me they seem like actors in a play. They are brainwashed and when they find each other in life or on the net they only talk about pain and sorrow and think up ways to shock or alienate the people around them. It's a very fake life and personality even though it seems very real to them.
The only people who aren't fake are babies and toddlers and that's why it's so great to be around them. With them we experience simplicity at its best which is very relaxing.
The biggest fakers of all are running our lives so we are the dumb ones in all of this. We vote them in knowing fully well the ones presented to us are fake, from one extreme to the other.
Fake boobs, fake faces, fake personas, fake promises, fake advertising, fake politicians - we're surrounded by it. Time to head for the hills.

We call certain people 'fake' but to them they are not fake, they are sincerely living their lives the way they want to.
We just call it fake because they are so different from us.

When people model the current 'trend' of behaviour, emo for example, I consider them to be trying on a fake personality. They are clearly exhibiting what they've seen and heard through the media and on the internet especially. Emo kids aren't encouraged to have original thoughts or ideas. But to me they seem like actors in a play. They are brainwashed and when they find each other in life or on the net they only talk about pain and sorrow and think up ways to shock or alienate the people around them. It's a very fake life and personality even though it seems very real to them.

. . .

The only people who aren't fake are babies and toddlers and that's why it's so great to be around them. With them we experience simplicity at its best which is very relaxing.

The biggest fakers of all are running our lives so we are the dumb ones in all of this. We vote them in knowing fully well the ones presented to us are fake, from one extreme to the other.

Fake boobs, fake faces, fake personas, fake promises, fake advertising, fake politicians - we're surrounded by it. Time to head for the hills.

Interesting post.