Depression - how do you cheer yourself up? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Depression - how do you cheer yourself up?

I have been battling anxious depression for years.

Whoever said that using Se helps is right.

For example, one thing that really helps me is my job. It's very physical, and almost like a sport/exercise/workout. Besides keeping me in shape (well, somewhat hehe), it is very stress relieving, and helps loads with the anxiety as well.

Hope you find a way to feel better. I know it can be difficult.

Good luck :)

When I get into a funk, I plan out every minute of my days so that I'm always doing something productive! It's hard to dwell when you're busy. :mD:

Clean your house! Do a few reps! Listen to cheesy music!

when i get depressed, i am the epiphany of Edgar Allen Poe... my depression consumes me, for some lengths of time... and i hurt; emotionally, mentally, and physically...

the worst depression i was in was when my 2nd ex left and took our daughter, then made accusations which also disallowed me to see my child again... i watched as my life spiraled down into abysmal misery... it drove me to excessive drinking, drugs (both pot and coke), and a hate and distrust against all women... sleepless nights and endless days of binging, rock and roll, and not a care for myself... nothing mattered to me except that next bottle of Jack...
... my friends watched as my weight dropped, i was showing up late to work almost every day, and my already negative attitude just got worst... i lost over 30 lbs in just a 2 week period... and my rage ran rampant...
... the one thing that kept me sane was my writing... it was a salve in my time of personal crisis...
... there were times i couldn't bear it and wanted to express my rage, yet i knew that mine anger would scare those i needed... so i boiled inside, and was left smoldering, to the point of blowing...
... it last a good 2 1/2 years... 2 1/2 years of writing, of expressions i couldn't show others...

... and then i started applying for a 2nd job... i knew i needed to do something with my spare time to keep me and my mind busy...
... i eventually found one in a club/bar and i started working there... my eyes started opening back up and i was starting to see that not all women were like the one that left, that there were so many more out there... and then i ran into CokeNut at the same time i started working a 3rd job...

... i was very, very skeptical and suspicious at first... but as time went on, i started opening up more and more to her and her to me... and i started feeling the positive emotions like love and affection again, feelings that had laid dormant under all the rage and hurt that i had gone through... and my heart started melting for her... i had forgotten and gave up on those emotions, but i had ran into her with unforeseen circumstances which seemed to have bounded us... these newly awaken emotions felt good to me, and i gave in...

after getting to know each other, i now look on the brighter side of things (though, still prone to being pessimistic)...

even now, i find it hard to get depressed about things... probably 'cause of the things i had already endured...

.. but i know now that Time is a big factor... everything works itself out, just patience and time is all thats needed...

... now, whenever i get those down feelings, i just wander off into the woods, pet the cats, or play with the dog... even write some pages or organize my files... i find alone time to reflect on things that have happened in my life and appreciate things i do have, like my family and friends...

I hear ya Motor my x played the same game with me. I got custody and won. But the emotional trama lives on. You never really get over your x taking your kid away for no reason....

I feel like I need to give some credit to medication.

I have been depressed my entire life. But, I was diagnosed with "clinical depression" a few years ago. I was hesitant to go on medication, and I was desperately trying to find another way out.

After several months in the worst black hole I've ever been in, I decided to begin taking Effexor. And I really do believe it saved my life.

Now, two years later, though sometimes I find myself down again, it is never as bad or as long as that first one. And, most importantly, the time when I'm not depressed or down, I'm actually content and happy. If you asked me a few years ago I would never have thought it was possible for me to be happy.

And no, I'm not saying that drugs are the answer for everyone. But, I would like people to consider them, if you find yourself truly stuck. There is a way out... find what that way is for you.

I write. I used to play music, but sometimes I get depressed at work, and I don't have a guitar there, but I have my computer so I can write the depression out. Also I like to exercise to the point of almost not being able to move. When my mind is engaged in difficult exercise that demands most of my body's resources, it can't go to that depressed place...it'll usually go back after the exercise, but I'm tired, and I can sleep. But writing usually helps...that and reading Khalil Gibran. I used to want to break things...I remember when i was a kid, I would get old broken watches, go down to the basement on the concrete floor, and hammer the mess out of them. Eventually, I started thinking I was a "powerfully-built blacksmith" making beautiful things. All that was left was a horribly mangled watch, but it felt nice...

Cures

It has been also stressed that doing manual labor, not the construction type, but arts and crafts and creating helps ward of depression. The idea of creating and accomplishing a project can boost you up. If you are the creative type, i recommend knitting, crocheting, paper crafts or whatever suits your needs.

Personally exposing myself to others never helped because of my typology. The only person I trusted when I was depressed was my social worker who did wonder through CBT therapy - Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I also started reading self help books.

I know I know. There's always a thread about depression on forums. Annd they're usually just a whole bunch of people moaning. It may be true but I'd really like to write about this. So screw it.

I was diagnosed with clinical depression almost a decade ago (ouch!). I'm better than I was. I handle myself better nowadays. But right now I would like to have a nice long cry. I couldn't tell you why. I can't think of one thing to cry about. But I feel an overwhelming unhappiness. And I have definitely taken my meds today.

I can't cry however. The great misconception about the depressed is that they cry all the time. Not true. Some do. You're either the type to cry all the time or the type to never cry. One of the other. I'm in the latter category. Completely tearless even when I really want to cry. It pisses me off. Perhaps this has something to do with typology. I don't know.

To complete my moan on a bright note I will say this. I am an optimist in a way. I believe totally in the curability of clinical depression. I'm very good at "chin up" nowadays. I never let my depression get in my way anymore. But does anyone have any insights? Does anyone also feel depressed? How do you cheer yourself up? I need to cheer up!

Thanks, all. x

I know how you feel. I've been depressed for many years now.

If you have been depressed for this long, it is really a mood issue. I find you have to deal with it holistically and do everything you can to regulate your mood. Eat well, exercise, try to get involved with others, and take time to get to know yourself (usually this manifests as spirituality).

Eating and exercise are important, as well as sleep.

But if you want a quick fix and short term fix, masturbation is a good spirit lifter.

I embrace it and hold onto it dearly. Learning experience.

I am going through a depression right now and I find solace in going to work and reading and writing. I have a new little nephew I love to babysit, babies are such a joy. Somedays I seem to drown in my depression and others I just keep telling myself, "this too, shall pass". As cliche' as that sounds, it helps me because it IS true. It will pass and life will be good again. Best wishes to you and I hope you know you're not alone and always remember "this too, shall pass".

When I deppressed I try to channel it into something productive like poetry or other types of writing. As long as it dosen't take over your life I suggest it. As an infj I have a tendency to esacape my problem in a fantasy world of sorts I guess it's a reaction to not being able to cope with whats going on in my phsical life. I wouldn't have half the poems I have because of it. Though I would have rather of had my happiness at the time. Changing your perception also helps ,try thinking about the world differently. Stop watching that deppressing over dramitized news, watch a romantic comedy, read good books, surround yourself with people who can accept and apreciate you, get in touch with God (in what ever religion you are if you don't have one I suggest meditation) avoid negitive people who only make your emotional situation worse ,don't be too hard on yourself ,and exercise it makes a world of difference. Although I've never been I've heard counciling helps. I'm sorry for what ever your going through I know how that feels it can be a struggle to get out of it, just know that there's always a light at the end of the tunnel even though you may not see it yet.

Last edited:
I embrace it and hold onto it dearly. Learning experience.
Can you elaborate on that? My brain's fried right now, so this isn't making sense. How does feeling blah and having no motivation, passion, or energy translate into a learning experience?

Milon, I could write a short story on depression. It is like an old friend of mine.
Hello, old friend; I have come to visit you again. Some of my best writing is when I am depressed. I think there are different levels of depression, though, as sometimes it can be much worse than other times.
I become somewhat analytical, I guess. I wonder how I arrived there. I wonder if it has been in the same train that I have ridden before, causing me to reflect on past experiences. Reflecting on past experiences helps me to understand if it is something internal or something external; something I have control over or something I cannot do anything about. My spirituality is strong when I am down, as that is where I turn to most often for guidance, assurance, help, or whatever it may take to get through those times.
How did I get over this last time I was here? Was it something internal or external? Is there something new about this time I can use something from the past to help with? Will this help me in the future?
When internal, I often question if I have done something wrong to have gotten me here; gotten on the wrong bus, so to speak? Often it is completely the opposite to be true, though. I may be doing everything right
and therefore feel like I am being attacked to try and bring me down from a spiritual high someone somewhere does not like seeing me on.
I can try to take more time later to try and explain it more fully, as this is just the tip of the iceberg. I call most things I go through in life learning
experiences, as it seems the older I get the more clear it is what they are. We must learn from out mistakes. We must learn from our down times. It seems alright if I can say at least I learned something from it. I am sure we all do not see things the same way.

My depression is always rooted in the world not being the way I feel it should be, and feeling powerless to make it right. My Fe can throw me into deep bouts of overwhelming hopelessness and despair if it cannot find a way to reconcile what is 'wrong'.

For me, the only thing that reconciles my Fe into believing things are the way they should be is remembering that God is good. God is faithful. And anything that seems wrong right now is working toward a greater good.

For example, I once went through a terrible loss. I could not understand how something so terrible could happen. A few months later, I met someone who helped me get through the ordeal over the next year. While she was helping me, she was growing closer to God and turned away from a life of addiction, bitterness, and let go of something terrible that happened to her. I had no idea that helping me was causing this in her, but when I found out, I realized that my suffering was to reach her in a time when nothing else could. Not only did I go through it so that she could see herself as a person who suffers from loss, I went through it so that she could heal by helping me heal. She is now an amazing woman, with an amazing spirit, who helps others in amazing ways. If my pain is the price for such a great thing, I am happy to pay it.

God has never asked me to suffer through anything I wasn't ultimately willing to accept in order to help others. Time and again, everything I have endured has led to me helping someone, usually by allowing me to know how to help them, sometimes by simply knowing what they are going through, and in rare cases like the one I mentioned by allowing them to help me. In the end, I am always able to look back, see that more good was done than harm, and proudly approve of the benevolence that I could not see working while I was in the middle of it.

Always remember that no matter how bad things might seem, they are working for a greater good, even if you can't see it right now.

In my case, I bolster my Fe by believing that God's love and God's plan make the world right, no matter what it looks like right now. God's plan is greater, and everything works for the greater good for those who trust him. "Nothing is too wonderful for the Lord" "those who hope in Him will not be disappointed."

Not only does this help remove my depression, but it inspires me to continue to help others however I can. In fact, the worse things get, the more I am inspired to fight back with goodness and make them right.

Taking control of your Fe allows you to be a truly amazing force in this world for the greater good. All you have to do is believe that you should, and that the world should be too. The trick is including the clause that sometimes things may look bad, even terrible, but they are only temporary steps on the path to the greater solution, which is the love, peace, and kindness that you are able to share and grow. All it takes for you to truly be a hero in this world is to believe that the world is and will be a better place, even if it hurts right now. It will pass. The more you allow yourself to hurt in the moment, while believing that it is part of the greater good, the sooner the greater good will come to be, and the greater it will be when it does.

(In other words, being proactive is the greatest cure for depression, whether hitting the gym or taking control of your Fe directly, however is best for you.)

Last edited:
Just me, thanks for the perspective. Internal and external depressions. Interesting. I'll have to think more on that.

Von Hase, thanks for sharing. You make a good point, changing out perspectives to see the greater good sounds like an excellent way to regroup and work out of a depression.

Thank you both!

Just me, thanks for the perspective. Internal and external depressions. Interesting. I'll have to think more on that.

Von Hase, thanks for sharing. You make a good point, changing out perspectives to see the greater good sounds like an excellent way to regroup and work out of a depression.

Thank you both!

Yes; thank you Von Hase. It is uplifting to read someone's words grounded in faith; having taken root in solid ground. I feel mentioning God so much can run some people away as they immediately turn off the conversation. I still want those people to read and expound, too, so I try a much different approach. Your direct approach is uplifting to me. We sometimes go through tribulations so we can better help others that are going through those same tribulations. It is very perceptive of you to notice how another's helping you can help them by doing so.
Milon, internal causes of depression are, to me, things that I have allowed to bother me to a point I feel like becoming weak for awhile. In other words, I allow depression because of my own feelings toward things going on in my life. External causes are when I allow things I have no control over, that seem they will not go away, to lead me into a state of depression. If you think about it, should we allow external things to cause us so much distress?
Take "John Doe", for instance: he lost his job he has had for twenty years last week five years before retirement, his savings were invested in the stock market and he now has pennies on the dollar he had planned on having for his retirement. His wife is ill and cannot work. I could go on and on, but basically John becomes depressed. He has allowed external things he has no control over to take control of his feelings and emotions. He is sad, upset, feels like there is nothing for him to do, and God knows what he is willing to do to survive.
Lots of folk like John could fare a lot better emotionally should they just decide to. Remember the couple complaining about the bird poop on their windshield in "Con Air" right after they had washed their car? What happened next? A body fell onto their car from an airplane.
It always seems no matter how bad you have got it, there is ALWAYS
someone else that has it worse than you do.....ALWAYS! We should look back and remember that when feeling depression knocking at the door.
Tell it to go away. If it will not, at least try to learn something from it.
As VH said in different words, it may be for someone else, but learn.
In simple layman's terms, a good friend with an understanding ear is always good to have. Some folk turn to God; what a friend!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Talking with other people I have found a great deal of them actually take medications to combat depression. That has me to ask a question: If a person takes meds to combat depression, and they work, then what affect will the meds have on them while continuing to take them while not depressed any longer? What if they stop taking the meds? I cannot believe so many people let their doctors talk them into taking something because they are human. It becomes a mentality that they can fix your problems with a pill. What ever happened to prayer, meditation, talking with friends, doing things a person likes doing, buying something small, listening to music, a walk on the beach, playing with a dog or other pet, etc?