Dating Down | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Dating Down

Physically, I'm really not that pretty. My attractiveness apparently comes from other sources. I'm told I have charisma.

I'll admit you don't have the Leonardo DiCaprio pretty boy look, but you have the Bruce Willis action man look down to a T.

I'll admit you don't have the Leonardo DiCaprio pretty boy look, but you have the Bruce Willis action man look down to a T.

Hmm, I wonder if dove should start to worry :p

I got it:

How does nature know the difference between an attractive couple and an unattractive couple in order to give female preference to attractive couples? They've either just anthropomorphized nature or turned beauty into a scientifically determinable fact with no wiggle room, or both.

I don't think either of these studies are particularly reliable. The sample size in the first one is too small, and the attractive people have daughters thing is crazy.

Action Man! One of my favorite Britishisms!

DimensionX said:
Nah.

Nah.

Ouch, not even the "it's not you, it's me" line or anything.

You mean Bruce Willis has VH's look down to a T!

That I can tell if a guy is attractive or not?

You know deciphering what makes a male attractive is a big step in to becoming attractive yourself. I'm perfectly straight, and Dove knows this.

That I can tell if a guy is attractive or not?

You know deciphering what makes a male attractive is a big step in to becoming attractive yourself. I'm perfectly straight, and Dove knows this.

Sorry mate, I didn't realise she was your first gf (or serious one anyways), either way it was just a joke hense the ":p", no need to take things so seriously. : )

Sorry mate, I didn't realise she was your first gf (or serious one anyways), either way it was just a joke hense the ":p", no need to take things so seriously. : )

I've had quite a few friends who've thought of me as being gay before. By now I've become rather defensive against the accusation. I am merely comfortable with myself.

Trust me, you didn't grind my gears that much or you'd have seen a rather more offensive post. :p

Sometimes I think that women date down by dating guys who are fatter than them so that the women no longer feels like she constantly needs to watch her own weight.

If this is true...Miranda Kerr and Natalie Portman here I come!

I really think the idea of more attractive men telling their wives to do something on their own rather than help and less attractive men willing to be a pushover has less to do with attractiveness and more to do with them interviewing douchebags and losers.

Reactions: NeverAmI
Sometimes I think that women date down by dating guys who are fatter than them so that the women no longer feels like she constantly needs to watch her own weight.

Some are so vain that they couldn't have a man who looks better than them.

My mum has admitted to falling into this category.

If this is true...Miranda Kerr and Natalie Portman here I come!

I really think the idea of more attractive men telling their wives to do something on their own rather than help and less attractive men willing to be a pushover has less to do with attractiveness and more to do with them interviewing douchebags and losers.

LOL well said, well said.

How does nature know the difference between an attractive couple and an unattractive couple in order to give female preference to attractive couples?

Think about what would happen if unattractive couples had more daughters. Their genes wouldn't be very successful. The same applies to the attractive couples who had sons: they wouldn't have bad results, but the results would not be as good as when they had daughters. It's all about relative success rates. Nature doesn't need to "know" anything, it just weeds out what doesn't work.

Past studies have shown that all cultures find symmetrical facial features attractive, regardless of how different their other standards are for beauty. There is a biological reason for this. Those with symmetrical features tend to have stronger immune systems.

Studies also show that the number one thing that attracts a man to a woman is her waist to hip ratio. The closer it is to .7, the more attractive men think she is. This explains (to me, at least), why some skinny movie stars with what I think are ugly faces are considered beautiful. There is also a biological reason for this. The closer the waist to hip ratio is to .7, the higher the fertility. This may also be one reason why women put on so much weight around the middle at menopause. It is nature's way of telling men to go elsewhere to keep the species going.

IMO, attractiveness can change dramatically as you go through life, so if you want a long lasting relationship. it had better not be built on that. When we got married, I was much more attractive than my husband, but now, due to my serious illness, the tables have turned completely. But, he loves me as a person, and knows he is far too eccentric to have an easy time finding another mate he could be happy with, beautiful or otherwise.

Even with the general attraction of men to symmetrical features and relatively small waists, there is wide variation in what individuals think is attractive. My husband and I disagree completely on which celebrity females we think are pretty.

I have found there is one advantage to being old and fat around the middle. I can go anywhere I want now and be totally invisible. Sexually undesirable females like me do not even register on male radar. I can skip make up, since it makes no difference anyway, and wear whatever I am comfortable in, since nobody notices. No longer do I have to endure walking into a room and having all the males stop talking to stare at me. No longer do I have men pursuing me, like they did on campus, when I was the age of most of you here, offering large sums of money to take nude pics of me, not to mention having had one of my grades dropped when I turned down the offer of $1,000 to spend one night with one of my professors. There can be a sordid side to being attractive too.

I also imagine that truly beautiful women must wonder if the man is with them for that reason, or if he really cares. They may be terrified of what might happen if they lost their looks. This fear is making a lot of plastic surgeons rich.

klutzo

Last edited:
Men who find themselves less attractive physically usually put forth more effort and try harder. They know there is more to a relationship than their looks, they don't have that to fall back upon. They care.
This is not to say that all incredibly attractive men are megadouches gallivanting around trying to fuck every pretty girl they interact with. But the chances of them being this way are more likely than a less attractive man.

Men date down socially, women date down based on looks... this is news?

Reactions: Wyote