Culture - America vs Britain | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Culture - America vs Britain

A bit of Cockney Rhyming Slang for you here;

cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/cockney_translator/

trouble and strife: wife - the 'ol trouble and strife is at home with the bin lids
bin lids: kids
apple and pairs: stairs - up the apple and pairs to 'ol Bedfordshire.
two and eight : state "he's in a right two and eight".
Barnet: head/ hair
Butchers: give us a butchers - give us a look.
Adam and eve- can you Adam and Eve it? Can you believe it?
Dog and bone: phone

Hey, - pretty cool huh?

Well I say I'm not that patriotic, but if I lived abroad I'd probably still listen to BBC radio 4 all the time, eat marmite and drink tea. It's funny the things you miss from home if you live abroad. Yeah, and baked beans too, funnily enough.

Last edited:
@LittleLissa @Milktoast Bandit ha ha you guys.. I don't know what kind of divisive, deranged crazy person must have started this thread (me) but this has really cracked me up reading those exhanges. lol :)

Marmite - urrg. Weetabix @Scientia ? the breakfast of champions ... lol.

Monty Python ? very appropriate right now. "we are the Peoples popular front of INFJ" Crowd : "splitters !!!"

I recently had a long disagreement with an American (shock horror) who said they didn't have biscuits. It was finally resolved. Americans call them "cookies"
This misunderstanding had nearly caused World War 3. I for one, will happily start it for a Custard Cream.

Oh and Britains secret shame ? slow wifi.... :(

@James. How would you compare Irish vs. Brit humour?

A bit of Cockney Rhyming Slang for you here;

cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/cockney_translator/

trouble and strife: wife - the 'ol trouble and strife is at home with the bin lids
bin lids: kids
apple and pairs: stairs - up the apple and pairs to 'ol Bedfordshire.
two and eight : state "he's in a right two and eight".
Barnet: head/ hair
Butchers: give us a butchers - give us a look.
Adam and eve- can you Adam and Eve it? Can you believe it?
Dog and bone: phone

Hey, - pretty cool huh?

This shit is bullocks. Why take a language as precious as the dog's and turn it into duff. Now I'll have to go on with no idea what you mean because I can't be fagged to learn another version of a language I already had to learn a another version of. I'll just stay here all gormless, wrapped in old glory... eating crusty dragons... patting myself on the fanny. <lol!!! Fanny...

Last edited:
@James. How would you compare Irish vs. Brit humour?

Ok.. I'll try to be honest.

The Irish humour is better.. lol. but then they have a tendency to shoot each other etc. lol (my family were from northern ireland) English humor is just more bizarre i think. I love both. as I am a A) "hybrid" or B) "totally Stupid" depending on who you listen to

A) my view
B) the rest of the world.

I guess i should clarify that I was born in England and have lived there all my life. apart from holidays. never.in.france. lol

To give a better film type comparison. I'd recommend "The Guard" an independent irish movie which is hilarious. English humor i'd see as more Monty Python. Which to me was a strange kind of genius.

Last edited:
you mean bogey, nose crust/ slime, huh? If your gonna try, get it right for gods sake, ...I mean!

you mean bogey, nose crust/ slime, huh? If your gonna try, get it right for gods sake, ...I mean!

I mean, fuck!!!! All this weird ass booger talk make it difficult to keep my pecker up! I'm off to the khazi to fiddle my knob and Jimmy Riddle.

...don't you mean
'all this buggery gab is getting up my pecker, right there 'am 'ouf to jimmy riddle mi knob'

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit