Culture - America vs Britain | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Culture - America vs Britain

Here's a miniature secret bedazzled in jazz corn...
I live in Muncie, Indiana USA. The Great David Letterman went to university 8 minutes from my home. At one time in my life, I spent some time at the same university (mostly not studying) Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana is the greatest university in Muncie, Indiana. There is a mailbox in an alley next door to Doc's Music Hall where my band used to play where people could send him fan mail and... stuff I guess. Still, I am not a fan. Topical humor is not funny to me and that bald dude, sidekick is creepy.

I did buy The Life of Brian for my son for his 7th birthday... to this day, I am the only one to have watched it... Yay 'merica!!!

[MENTION=1669]Gist[/MENTION], I think what you wrote was spot on (at least from an American's perspective). Living here can be hell on an introvert. I can't stand some things about my country for the very reasons you mentioned: Loudness, volatility, ignorance (in some cases) and the like. Intellectualism as a pursuit is not as valued as progress. I supervise a woman who is the epitome of MURICA (except, fortunately, without nationalistic pride) and it's rough going for me. She is hypersonic and I am a turtle, and we don't see eye to eye that often. But anyway. Let me not make this "all about me."

I see some the of the key reasons for dissatisfaction in both countries, though; the fear that someone is taking something away from them, the fear that the country as a whole isn't the same as it used to be, the fear of an inequitable justice system, and possibly the widening of the gap between the haves and the have-nots (in whatever form that takes). What's interesting are the voices these forms take. The comparisons of the outcry really are uncannily similar.

As far as humor is concerned, I've always preferred the dry wit of British humor. Or I prefer humor that's edgy and dark and makes me think (George Carlin). I like humor that keeps me on my toes and reminds me of my humanity, and reminds me I'm not unique to this world - but also isn't divisive. Not exactly fond of crude humor or humor with a lot of "F" bombs in it and I'm not a fan of gross humor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say. - PF

Reactions: James
The pervasiveness of ignorance in America will destroy us sooner than later. Its allowed to prevail unchecked in out education system. Most people who think they have the right to change America from its foundation have never been outside of the United States to see how the rest of the world is. They think their TV is telling them all they need to know.
You would have thought 911 would have been the ultimate wake up call. Instead you have Democrats crying about the fact terrorist attacks "detracted" from Obamas climate summit.

Reactions: Siimplicity
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• britain-france-canada-america_c_175880.jpg
    britain-france-canada-america_c_175880.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20141029_220001_cicffcb_sm.jpg
    20141029_220001_cicffcb_sm.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: aeon
[MENTION=564]acd[/MENTION] I have given this more thought and I take it back, you are right, sophisticated American humour existed in the 90's.

I'm not really qualified to answer according to the terms of your question, but can I just say that I totally hate that guy. It may have been some complete accident but every time I switched over to a bit of his show he was always talking about how familiar he is with the good old set of established New York families or something like that. What a vomit festival.

I'm sure people will cringe when I write this, but I also saw him be really inhospitable to Kristen Stewart on his show once, around the time she first became really famous, and I didn't like it. He should have been a more gracious host. He really was not welcoming.

thats our good old Indiana values!

Reactions: acd
Are you kidding me!? All those Adam Sandler movies!? Just GTFO.

Just kidding I love you but the 90s were fab for humor!
[MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION] must have been thinking about In Living Color. Jim Carey leaves something to be desired.

The Canadian looks like he's gazing down at you where he has you tied up, and apologizing with dead, thoroughly unapologetic eyes right before he cleaves you with his trusty, rusty wood axe.

I'm just sayin'.

The Canadian looks like he's gazing down at you where he has you tied up, and apologizing with dead, thoroughly unapologetic eyes right before he cleaves you with his trusty, rusty wood axe.

I'm just sayin'.

Typical maple smoker

I'm just sayin'.

Brown chicken brown cow

I'm not really qualified to answer according to the terms of your question, but can I just say that I totally hate that guy. It may have been some complete accident but every time I switched over to a bit of his show he was always talking about how familiar he is with the good old set of established New York families or something like that. What a vomit festival.

I'm sure people will cringe when I write this, but I also saw him be really inhospitable to Kristen Stewart on his show once, around the time she first became really famous, and I didn't like it. He should have been a more gracious host. He really was not welcoming.
Is this the video?

i feel the globalisation is making people and cultures far more similar ?

Do you think it's also making them far too similar so that they're losing their individuality?

Topical humor is not funny to me and that bald dude, sidekick is creepy.

I did buy The Life of Brian for my son for his 7th birthday... to this day, I am the only one to have watched it... Yay 'merica!!!

Sacrilege!!!

Not like Monty Python?? What about Faulty Towers??...your family doesn't know it's been born!!

Reactions: James and Gaze

Reactions: James and Gaze
WTF are you talking about!?!?!?! I said I'm the only who has seen it!

But why? That in itself is sacrilege...

:wink:

...Anyway, you don't need to worry, I'm not that patriotic.

Just a fan of Monty Python, I think these cultural things mean more, especially when you grow up with them!

Last edited: