Culture - America vs Britain | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Culture - America vs Britain

Great writing on both sides of the Atlantic.

America;
Earnest Hemmingway
John Steinbeck
etc. etc, etc.

Britain;
George Orwell
Graham Green
etc. etc. etc.

Anyone want to add to that...I made a longer list, but lost it in an edit, and am loosing the will to live.

Last edited:
Reactions: James and Gaze
I think though there is some really beautiful American literature. Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and @sassafras blog,
though i have a feeling she "might" be canadian.

If this is gonna cause conflict? I'm outta here.

@sassafras is totes a Frostback.

Are you sure Milky ? I mean really certain ? I can't quite believe @sassafras is a frostback. She seems so nice..

that's how they do it tho. it's all smiles and "abowt" but then you discover the awful truth.. I bet she speaks french too. gah !

bd66e6a916c46569ca3c16fb403034c9.gif

Thank you for the compliments, um the rest of it I'm not really sure... I was summoned thrice, for some reason?

I don't speak French.

So, do you confirm or deny the charges of Canadianism brought against you by @James ?

*chews bacon and slurps maple syrup straight from the bottle, whilst sitting in her igloo with her pet moose, wearing a toque*

What about it?

Never considered it as such, Milky. Never considered it as such.

I know. I'm so sorry. I wish James never even mentioned it. I can only imagine how horrible you feel right now. It was just careless on his part. I'm sorry.

Reactions: sassafras and James
bd66e6a916c46569ca3c16fb403034c9.gif

Thank you for the compliments, um the rest of it I'm not really sure... I was summoned thrice, for some reason?

I don't speak French.

I'm sorry. I never "summoned" you. I think if I'd done that, you'd kick my beehind. Hard.

I was surrounded by Yankees. I panicked. This wasn't just about literature, though, genuinely that was a clumsy compliment. Obviously although you're Canadian, and a terrible person, you're a good writer.

As I'm a gosh darn useless writer, the terrible person part was intended as a joke. As was the French part. I routinely insult, deride and abuse the French because, they're very cool, have great culture, wine, art, cheese etc and are only 22 miles away from England.

Je suis desole. Making a joke is a bit like playing piano, and I can't do that either.

But there was also an argument over biscuits. Surrounded by yanks, etc and with biscuits in jeopardy I did what any needy neurotic English person might do. Called Canada.

The frostback thing was milky. I'd never heard that one before but he'd been playing with languages.If you clobber me now, it's my own fault.

Umm, I don't think anyone described American lit as bad. *confused*

Reactions: James
Umm, I don't think anyone described American lit as bad. *confused*

north korea said "all american literature is merely adequate" then they fired some missiles or something at japan. i think @Milktoast Bandit started the whole thing. he's anti canada too. why milky why ?

sorry @Gale :) you rock. I will talk to him. man to mouse. squeak.

Reactions: Gaze
north korea said "all american literature is merely adequate" then they fired some missiles or something at japan. i think @Milktoast Bandit started the whole thing. he's anti canada too. why milky why ?

sorry @Gale :) you rock. I will talk to him. man to mouse. squeak.

no, no, no. Milky did nothing wrong. I was just referring to the feeling I was getting from another post that American lit needed to be defended from my comments earlier. I felt like my point was being read as American lit is bad, and Brit lit is good, which is not what I meant. But I think it came across that way. So, my mistake I guess.

Reactions: James
Milky did nothing wrong

Yeah @James you dirty dick. Leave me out of this!

So, my mistake I guess

Wait. Are you referring to your post that I replied "wrong!" to? Because I was referring to your memories from your life and what books you like. You're wrong. Wrong wrong wrong!

Reactions: Gaze and James
no, no, no. Milky did nothing wrong. I was just referring to the feeling I was getting from another post that American lit needed to be defended from my comments earlier. I felt like my point was being read as American lit is bad, and Brit lit is good, which is not what I meant. But I think it came across that way. So, my mistake I guess.

I don't think your earlier post came across that way to anyone, it was clearly just you explaining your own personal taste and preference. I think it's very interesting what different people like. At times when things like this are discussed people say things about books, music or film etc that they like which I've never heard of and that intrigues me. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

i think American culture and literature speaks for itself. unlike North korea. where that seems to be an issue... oops. lol

Wait. Are you referring to your post that I replied "wrong!" to? Because I was referring to your memories from your life and what books you like. You're wrong. Wrong wrong wrong!

:m131:

I don't think your earlier post came across that way to anyone, it was clearly just you explaining your own personal taste and preference. I think it's very interesting what different people like. At times when things like this are discussed people say things about books, music or film etc that they like which I've never heard of and that intrigues me. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

i think American culture and literature speaks for itself. unlike North korea. where that seems to be an issue... oops. lol

Ah, cool. Thanks :)

That is so typical you milky. you created this thread and did all this to get at me !! how dare you make remarks about the cleanliness of my personal parts. I told you that in confidence. As for the Wrong wrong wrong. that's not right.right.right.

you think as you understand cockerney ryming clang you can do all this.. I know people. They all hate me but I know them. so for the love of a deity. stop this now before I have to call the romans .. ala monty python.

Best with a drizzle of honey yet good with drizzle of maple syurple:D

Pardon me, I'm starving! Biscuts sounded good.

holy tomaloe !!! I just read the small print... Pardon me, I'm starving! Biscuts sounded good.

This is why my life is a mess. I never read the small print. jeepers. thats it. from now on that's what I'm doing.. ;)

That was A) sneeeeky and B) very very funny lol

Duh. I don't just make stuff up. You should know this by now...

Apart from 'Waffles', well actually that was made up but not made up.. so I guess it was still a 'true' thing.