Culture - America vs Britain | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Culture - America vs Britain

Although I could be wrong, it seems to me the worst thing you could be in the minds of the English is a hypocrite, whereas in America hypocrisy whilst not exactly being always welcomed with open arms, is dwarfed by the intense dislike of con artists. I think nothing quite infuriates the American public quite like being taken for a ride- again because of P.T. Barnham and a parade of bullshit artists hawking snake oil along the frontier for many decades. When you're innovating and pursuing the American dream it is far worse to be tricked out of your possessions by Mr. Barnham than to simply fail. At least in the minds of Americans, I think.

Well, we just elected a con man as president, so clearly America at large has not learned from its past. If anything, the con just gets bigger and ever more elaborate. It’s more like Americans, in pursuit of the American Dream, want to believe in the con and will fall for it, time to time. I see it more as a never-endin cycle.

I think the difference between Britain and the US is that whereas Britain kept Boris Johnson in check and shuffled Theresa May into office, we’re letting the buffoon and his entire family run wild in the White House. The difference is while the UK is mired in contract negotiations with the EU, we just passed the biggest tax giveaway to the rich. People forget that Clinton left the office with a budget surplus and then Republicans came in and basically took that money and gave it to themselves in the form of a tax cut and then drove the economy into the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. Rinse, repeat.

Reactions: Sandie33
Groucho Marx, Jack Benny, Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, The Bowery Boys, The Three Stooges, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Joan Rivers, Gilbert Gottfried, and many, many, more. I think the world needs to 'catch up' to the American standard from decades ago :p I'm including modern day American comics in that too, by the way- it's more common to be outrageous than clever in comedy nowadays.

I get it, I made a mistake, but to understand my perspective you'd have to get overexposed to the kind of crap American exports we do. If all you saw on tv for 20 years was the canned laughter of garbage like "Friends", and got lectured over and over again how funny and clever Seinfeld is supposed to be, you could probably be forgiven for getting the idea that Americans aren't the wittiest bunch.

Reactions: Sandie33 and Reason
I get it, I made a mistake, but to understand my perspective you'd have to get overexposed to the kind of crap American exports we do. If all you saw on tv for 20 years was the canned laughter of garbage like "Friends", and got lectured over and over again how funny and clever Seinfeld is supposed to be, you could probably be forgiven for getting the idea that Americans aren't the wittiest bunch.
We're not anymore- but we could be if we were to change. Fat chance with the self-esteem movement in full swing.

Reactions: Wyote and Sandie33
8 years of a terrorist President to American interests elecected through manipulating the voting system with the left over small percentage of drooling actual Americans voting for him almost broke this countries back. We were headed into a a small recession when he took office that he turned into an almost full blown depression. Its good that we have a President who is actually rebuilding America now. The economy is booming and people are seeing more of their money in their pay check and the unemployment rate here is lower than it has been in 45 years . Just an outstanding job from Trump. Its funny because if Trump really is a buffoon like so many slack jawed mentally disabled drones like to say he is, what was Obama who after doubling the nations spending barely saw a tick in any type of economic growth for having done so in his 8 years of failed Presidency? Trumps a buffoon? Well I guess that makes Obama something like a tape worm doesnt it? At least some type of host killing parasite anyway.
Americas culture has been to give the slower of mind a voice for the past 8 years before Trump began leading the country away from its death spin with Obama at the helm. Thankfully with Trump, critical thinkers stood up and took their country back. We just have to figure out a way to silence the village idiots now who cant stop attacking him for things he has not even done so that the capible of mind can help heal our great nation.

Reactions: Wyote
I have never made it through one whole episode of Seinfeld and have never even so much as cracked a mildly amused smile while doing so...

*gets forcibly expatriated*

The genius of Seinfeld is too complex in its simplicity for some

Appologies to OP...
I have never made it through one whole episode of Seinfeld and have never even so much as cracked a mildly amused smile while doing so...
The genius of Seinfeld is too complex in its simplicity for some
Yeah. It's shit
I couldn't stand Seinfeld. Jerry and George were always trying to solve everyone's dilema but there own, and Elaine, OMG she was always bitching about some radical situation while she was two sandwhiches shy of a picinic.
It was Kramer for me :rainlove: I would endure the other characters so I could enjoy the character that was Kramer. He was the freshness of comedy that made the show sucessful...otherwise it was wasted humor on bad acting.

Similar to Alice from my timeline...an earlier version of Friends. If it weren't for Mel's supportive character this show would have flopped too :p #root4theInderdog

I actually do love Seinfeld though. I've watched it in its entirety a couple times. It's pretty dated at this point though. Curb Your Enthusiasm is also good. The comedic timing has to resonate for those shows to be enjoyable I think. I am George.

i-feel-like-my-old-self.jpg

For me, if Seinfeld were IRL, it would be a long boring story that someone tells that I can't get away from, with many interruptions in which they stop themselves to laugh at their own story, and the punchline of the story is "I guess you had to be there".

*gets forcibly expatriated*
What....the hell???
As an intj I even found emense humor in Seinfeld. How could you not be amused at muffin tops? Where when homeless people were given the "left overs" from that muffin craze they took offense because "they were not good enough" to get a full muffin.

I dont think you are human and now things are starting to make a lot more sense.

Let me know when you figure out that solution
Well there is a solution wyote. Its just that even as an intj apparently I still posses some amount of empathy, compassion and conscious. If I did not perhaps Id do something like make drugs legal and watch those same people overdose removing themselves from the gene pool or convince them any lie you tell them is the truth. Oh wait though, I cant take credit for that idea. Some group has already implemented that strategy.

Last edited:
What....the hell???
As an intj I even found emense humor in Seinfeld. How could you not be amused at muffin tops? Where when homeless people were given the "left overs" from that muffin craze they took offense because "they were not good enough" to get a full muffin.

I dont think you are human and now things are starting to make a lot more sense.

You are quite correct, good sir! Because I did not find, uh... "emense" humor in watching Seinfeld, I am indeed not a human, and things are most assuredly starting to make a lot more sense.

Me trying to find entertainment on Earth:

alien-park-rocking-ride.jpg

Boredom 24/7 :C

For me, if Seinfeld were IRL, it would be a long boring story that someone tells that I can't get away from, with many interruptions in which they stop themselves to laugh at their own story, and the punchline of the story is "I guess you had to be there".

The idea of you actually experiencing this made me lol though

Reactions: invisible and hush