Cognitive Functions and Recreational Activities | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Functions and Recreational Activities

"... I'm not saying Germans are mean, they are very warm and sociable people who
DO
NOT
GET
JOKES.
It's like a Star Trek planet 'Here, have another comforting bowl of soup. What is this Limerick you speak of?'

We're driving into Berlin, we pass a nightclub and you know those little laser pointer things? Well they pointed 4 thousand of them on the outside of the nightclub to create a visual effect so i said 'Looks like all the snipers are out tonight' *laughs unenthusiastically to himself* the tour guide stops what he's doing and says 'Those are not sniper rifles at all what they've done is point many lasers to create a visual effect...' That happened every time you told a joke, everything came to an ass-grinding halt, they would explain how what you just said was not so and then explain the reality.

EVERY FUCKING TIME" - Patton Oswalt

:p
If only they met people like me...

Reading - Ne & Fi. Just a note, I'm no expert on the functions, but I will use a general idea of the functions to explain my understanding of the connections between them. I can't see the functions as separated into activities, because each activity is likely inclusive of many processes occurring at once, similar to what Ren mentioned.

What you describe @Ginny in your discussion of reading and Fe + Ni, is something I experience almost exactly and I am supposedly the opposite in functions. This is why I'm not sure functions can be typed to specific mental activities. I think specific mental processes may reflect a particular function orientation if the entire focus of that activity is on one specific task but I don't think we always or maybe know for a fact what function, whether Ni or Ne, we are using when you apply a particular mental activity to a concept or process. For example, I can look at a film and discuss the scene, setting, emotion or mood, and use both Se, Ni, Ne, etc. But I could be wrong about the function I am using to perform that process. Another example, Fi is an analytical function. It processes things along with Ne through the lens of values and possibilities. But Fi can also be Ni-ish in that it can pick up on insights about selves or others in how it analyses something in a story read or movie watched. Yes, this could be self projecting, but it could really be thoughtful insights afforded by the combo of functions picking up on different things. And then it's no longer a simple case of Fi or Fe, or Ni or Ne. More are combined to notice or process what is seen.

Another example, Se is often associated with enjoying the outdoors or processing things through the senses, and considered a highly visual function. But when I am outdoors, taking a walk in some type of nature, yes, I may like the seeing the green and enjoying the fresh air, but maybe the experience I have is due to the introverted aspect of the walk including the alone time, quiet, the avoidance of noise or crowds, or having the chance to hears ones own thoughts or reflect or memory of a previous outdoor activity. It can allow moments of self reflection in Fi-like ways, or maybe make you wonder how you would feel taking the walk with someone else (Fe). So a sensory experience such as a walk in nature can have both Se and Si elements at play. So, that's my take on it.

The Ti-Ne-Si axis is great for watching movies

Ti analyze the way the movie is constructed and what it's purpose is

Ne pick up on motifs and metaphors recognize the connection between events and characters

Si Remembering other films so that you can compare them with what you are currently watching

Great for movies.

I use these similarly for listening to music and playing video games (and yes, watching movies too, although that tends to be further down my activity list).

- Regarding music, Ne is probably the function I use the most because I tend to focus more on the patterns within the music than the lyrical content, etc.
- The INTP function stack is great for video games because it allows for subconscious analysis and deconstruction of a game's systems (Ti), quick identification of interrelations and patterns (Ne) and recognition of elements/systems I've seen before (Si). Fe even nudges in there sometimes if the story/writing is sufficiently moving. :wink:

When reading I use a ton of Ti/Si, and a fair bit of Fe, moreso than during other activities. When reading fiction it helps to try and engage the emotions of the characters as much as possible. One reason I enjoy reading very long book series (hellooo Robin Hobb) is an appreciation of the personal growth characters will experience throughout their "lifetimes" and all the events that befall them. I tend to feel this more strongly from books and long-form TV than other sources of entertainment.

Recreationally, I typically don't watch films because there's no control over the ending's outcome. I play computer games and exercise.

What function is that supposed to be?

You like for your leisure to be interactive, which I think is more of a personal preference than a type-driven one. It's one I happen to share.

In MBTI terms maybe it's a combination of your Te (control of the external) and Ni (desire to shape one's own outcomes). Se probably comes into play as well, particularly around your enjoyment of exercise.

I've had a highly developed Se since I was a kid. I have played football ('soccer') all my life. I do martial arts too. So, as far as Se goes, I suppose I do it well. I am always striving to improve my 'shadow' functions. Of course, Se isn't a 'shadow' function; still, I must focus more strongly on trying to use Te and Si. I'm working on it! A work in-progress! ;-)