[INFJ] - How do you 'train' your cognitive functions? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum
Absolutely. I think the weird and strange needs to come together and make a utopia of outcasts. The only real kind of utopia there is.

Gah! lolol!

(I SO enjoy this and being here ^^)

@Impact Character @Rowan Tree

It was fun reading your posts back and forth :) Shame I wasn't there at the time.

I love Toothless as well, had him as my avi some time ago :D And curiously started re-watching the first Dragons series only last night (fortuitous occurrence :tearsofjoy:)
Don't beat yourself up over not being a native speaker, IC, you are doing very well (bin ich auch nicht *psst*). In a very weird sense I can see some German-ness in your posts, which is kinda familiar and yet completely alien. But this is nothing that you need to worry about, could just be my subconscious trying to find a pattern even though it isn't there (now there's some Ni-Ti for you) :sweatsmile:

I am myself intrigued by the function dynamic, almost more than the functions themselves. I am currently in the process of writing something on the so-called PoLR function. If you're interested, I might tag you when I have finished the piece. But in the meantime, if there is anything you want to learn, there are loads of informative posts and threads in the forums ;) Or if there is something more specific, I think that anyone on here is happy to help you out.

@Impact Character @Rowan Tree

It was fun reading your posts back and forth :) Shame I wasn't there at the time.
xD I'm sure there will be plenty of future opportunities! :3
(I love the fact that the joy of a conversation can be shared through time and space - the magic of words xD)

I love Toothless as well, had him as my avi some time ago :D And curiously started re-watching the first Dragons series only last night (fortuitous occurrence :tearsofjoy:)
Really? And my fiancé asked me yesterday if we were going to see the next movie in cinema xD xD

Don't beat yourself up over not being a native speaker, IC, you are doing very well (bin ich auch nicht *psst*). In a very weird sense I can see some German-ness in your posts, which is kinda familiar and yet completely alien. But this is nothing that you need to worry about, could just be my subconscious trying to find a pattern even though it isn't there (now there's some Ni-Ti for you) :sweatsmile:
I love this! <3 <3 *hallo hallo, ich freue mich sehr!* ^^ Is that German-ess through writing style or structure/type of thoughts? I wonder. If there is something alien to it, it might be a glimpse of the person I learned English from (an US-American). But to be honest. I don't know (still it's very interesting!)

I am myself intrigued by the function dynamic, almost more than the functions themselves. I am currently in the process of writing something on the so-called PoLR function. If you're interested, I might tag you when I have finished the piece.
Maybe because there is more 'energy' to a dynamic state between two than to a single aspect..? (changing and interacting state.. the feeling of life :3)
PoLR function? Please do so! I'd love to.

But in the meantime, if there is anything you want to learn, there are loads of informative posts and threads in the forums ;) Or if there is something more specific, I think that anyone on here is happy to help you out.
I don't know how I can thank everyone enough.. When I woke up today (post first day in the forum) I was very emotional. ^^""
(I'm looking forward for the day I know how I can return your kindness. Because sharing is best. *g*)

Ni
giphy.gif

Fe
giphy.gif

Ti
giphy.gif

Se
giphy.gif

@bonfire

you're awsome! :smile:
#thehumorousaccuracy xD

Thanks, it's was meant to be as much a joke as what I actually do, lol.

Usually I don't intentionally think about how to seriously develop my functions. I'm just on the lookout for each state of functional development and monitor if it manifests appropriately according to the timeline. If perhaps I feel like a function is underused or overused, I'd try to develop its axes to counter it, i.e. Fe/Ti or Ni/Se. Balance is the my primary concern. In general, It's my nature to take in to account what happens and how I respond to it, and why, then analyze them, then retrospect about why I do things way I do, by doing so I think I already use Ni-Ti. At the same time, when I applied this understanding towards others, I'd use Fe. Lower functions follow higher-ups' lead, so my Fe follows what Ni has visualized, not in a standalone kind of way. The last one is Se, which is vigilance to what's happening around, at the immediate moment. It's a great asset when it's used to feed Ni the information, not to distract it from its bigger picture. Se is more challenging to me than other functions, and since I practice mindfulness meditation it's pretty easy to understand how it can integrate with Ni, instead of hindering it. Se is to be aware the the present, the wholeness of the senses, instead of cooping up in my head. In short, I'd say mindfulness meditation helps a lot in functions development.

Last edited:
Well, I do writings and arts too. I've kept journals consistently for 20+ years, I draw, sing, do a lot of arts, but what helps me the best is meditation. Just saying from my experience. I'm probably a very frustrated soul, lol. :blush:

I've kept journals consistently for 20+ years, I draw, sing, do a lot of arts,

I'm impressed—I've kept a journal for about a decade now. I could never do it for the longest time, then the habit just stuck for some unknown reason.

I'm impressed—I've kept a journal for about a decade now. I could never do it for the longest time, then the habit just stuck for some unknown reason.

If you don't feel like doing it, then you may stop doing it for a while, and resume it when you feel like writing again. Don't feel too obliged to follow the routine. Ni is the darnest thing sometime because it needs to have the moment to actualize something for INFJs to feel the sense of purpose, and without it, we'll not to going to be able to do anything.

Sometimes I didn't write for months too, even when I have things to say. Sometimes I just wrote about MBTI if I didn't want to talk about my life, lol.

Tahani! Fantastic.
Omg xD Tahani? (the good place?! lol) ö.ö

Thanks, it's was meant to be as much a joke as what I actually do, lol.
Totally! xD

Usually I don't intentionally think about how to seriously develop my functions.
Though you can formulate a plan or list to work on it to self-improve? xD I’m new to MBTI but I find that intriguing these days. Hence reading and intentionally thinking about it. You seem rather one with yourself.

I'm just on the lookout for each state of functional development and monitor if it manifests appropriately according to the timeline. If perhaps I feel like a function is underused or overused, I'd try to develop its axes to counter it, i.e. Fe/Ti or Ni/Se. Balance is the my primary concern.
Yes.. Totally yes. You don’t sound much turbulent to me right now. This is warm and neat. <3

In general, It's my nature to take in to account what happens and how I respond to it, and why, then analyze them, then retrospect about why I do things way I do, by doing so I think I already use Ni-Ti.
Highly reflective ^^

Se is more challenging to me than other functions, and since I practice mindfulness meditation it's pretty easy to understand how it can integrate with Ni, instead of hindering it.
Se is to be aware the the present, the wholeness of the senses, instead of cooping up in my head. In short, I'd say mindfulness meditation helps a lot in functions development.
Qi Gong, Mindful Journaling and caring for my silent green friends are my anker recently. Really helps in everyway. Hihi ^^
(I need alot Se since my plants don’t come cuddling and bark at me when they need some food.)

(Indeed impressive ^^)
A couple minutes before logging in here. I was there, too Rowan. Reflecting what was going on..

Don't feel too obliged to follow the routine. Ni is the darnest thing sometime because it needs to have the moment to actualize something for INFJs to feel the sense of purpose, and without it, we'll not to going to be able to do anything.
…aaand there is the answer. x’D *sighs* :)

Is there some (how do you say this..) „pleasure“-go-with-the-flow-principle to it? (English is leaving me here..does someone have a better word for it?)

Sometimes I just wrote about MBTI if I didn't want to talk about my life, lol.
*coughs* *giggles* #intentionallythinkingaboutcognitivefunctions <3

(nice to read you, @bonfire! ^^)
*goes back to typing her struggling post*

Is there some (how do you say this..) „pleasure“-go-with-the-flow-principle to it? (English is leaving me here..does someone have a better word for it?)

mmm...I wouldn't say it's a go-with-the-flow, more like waiting for some kind of divine intervention, but yeah sometimes it's like go-with-the-flow when it's the right-timing of the situation. But this tends to happen when I use Ni coupled with Fe, especially in social situations. I call this the dance. Fe is about the right-timing paralleled with Te time-efficiency.

English is not my native language so I'd say English leaves me often too XD Oh, I think Rowan Tree was talking about Ti and struggling with language? This is what confused me most of the time because I don't know if it's me being INFJ or me being a non-native speaker XD. But I'd say language efficiency has to do more with Ne than Ti. Ti helps you generate straight lines of thoughts, but in the matter of linguistic expressions, you'd need Ne. Think about INTPs, they're far more eloquent than ISTPs, aren't they?

Last edited:
I guess that the flow-state is different for most people, maybe depending on the enneagram as well as functions? I could also theorise about people having more than one flow-state...?

I use writing (or even speaking) as a tool to sort my thoughts, because they tend to stay afloat until I can put them into words. It's like they don't properly manifest or become truth until I bring them out in some way. It can lead me to new considerations/conclusions in the process of writing, too. Sometimes it's still hard to find the right words or expressions too, something I ought to keep a better overview of in the future as well. So in the sense of having an "overview", @bonfire may be right in saying it has to do with Ne. But perhaps we should consider that there is also a different relation to words and word uses in different types, before claiming that someone is more or less eloquent (sorry, "claiming" is a strong word, I don't mean to accuse you of anything)? I think the capacity or potential is there for anyone, but it's the way of thinking (and a couple of other factors) that have an impact on expression. Ni (or even Si) could perhaps be used to be precise in expressions, but the way of thinking (function use) may make it look differently because of how the register is ordered in the mind, be it associative, conceptual, analytical or any other way.

I don't doubt that there is the possibility for the INFJ to reach a flow-state by using Se as well, during the performance of an activity. An INFJ may have Se as the inferior function but could still be an exceptional dancer, for instance. It is probably no less efficient or effective than mindfulness meditation or walking meditation (which I just thought may "train" Si and Se, respectively... what are your thoughts? might depend on how you define mindful *lol*).

mmm...I wouldn't say it's a go-with-the-flow, more like waiting for some kind of divine intervention, but yeah sometimes it's like go-with-the-flow when it's the right-timing of the situation.
Right now I struggle alot with the words „divine intervention“. Deep down I know you’re right, though.
(I often just feel like I commit a crime everytime I use the words „spiritual“, „divine“ or something. I’m really just weak, cowardly and far away from self-determined in that particularly case).
Still… looking forward to the day I make peace with this.. and be a bit more balanced out :3

But this tends to happen when I use Ni coupled with Fe, especially in social situations. I call this the dance. Fe is about the right-timing paralleled with Te time-efficiency.
Dance is a lovely word, also like the dynamic aspect it holds.

Do you guys practise small Ni-Fe interactions?
My fiancé and me we enjoy a good sunday breakfast.. with everything.. soul food, good talk, relaxing.. There are times I just know he‘s too restless for a playful Ni-Fe interaction especially when he’s internally processing data/figuring out solutions to daily problems. But those other times we share a playful mini interaction. I don’t know how to explain this.. it’s like a guessing game. I sometimes pass to him what I know he craves to eat. I just know. There is a lovey-dovey moment of being close, deep understanding, nurturing and taking care of each other (*casually dropping in a little exercise for the thread topic*) xD

Oh, I think Rowan Tree was talking about Ti and struggling with language?
A theme is circling in xD xD

This is what confused me most of the time because I don't know if it's me being INFJ or me being a non-native speaker XD.
Also depends on the associations being good or bad and the concepts you hold.. on personal, group or cultural level.. or the picture a word forms internally.. if you think of a tree.. we all talk about a tree.. but still all of us internally see another one. [not to mention the word T R E E is a drawing of lines and sound picture itself already..]

But I'd say language efficiency has to do more with Ne than Ti. Ti helps you generate straight lines of thoughts, but in the matter of expression, you'd need Ne.
Hmhh.. Ne is a perception function, right? It’s about harvesting input. Ti is already judging function and decission making.. are excellent speakers Ti-Ne? Ah, hence that’s INTP for example, isn‘t it? (That explains alot xD)

It is probably no less efficient or effective than mindfulness meditation or walking meditation (which I just thought may "train" Si and Se, respectively... what are your thoughts? might depend on how you define mindful *lol*).
(I wanted to write about this later but welp. xD)
I think it depends on the goal or path you choose.. For example… There are different types of meditation.. as belly breathing.. and some kind of focus… either your body with inner aspects and energyflow (Si)… your surroundings with the 5 senses (Se)… your inner letting yourself ponder over a problem (Ti)… or your emotions and well-being (Fi)… (normally/usually not judging anything that you come across..mostly just taking in or letting it exist and pass on a stream and not clinging to it..).. I believe group meditation can also serve (Fe)… I am lost with Te..

Like I said.. it’s about picking a Core for the task or goal ahead.

To be honest I often personally feel that the actually struggle about communication is the question „how much do you have to cut down or filter this for the outside world/group?“
The Thinker-preferred types I know usually cling very much on the „we define, we sort out facts and we cling to definitions“ kind of approach.. whereas the feeler-preffered types I know seem to lean more into the „we will come up with a shared meaning system as we go because there are more ways to fullfill the task“ kind of approach.

I came across some strategies..for example „loud thinking“ from the communication fields..I believe that goes somewhat in the direction @Ginny was talking about here.

I usually try to sort out my problems myself but it’s in that moment I talk to my love that I manage to really grasp the essence. (There is a delicate timing aspect.. if you do it too early then you cannot put it into words that at least help to lead to the what it is really about..) Journal writing surely helps with getting to that point. *underlining the former activity advice* ^^)

(P.S. flow-state? Csikszentmihalyi ?)

Rowan Tree was talking about Ti and struggling with language?

A theme is circling in xD xD

Absolutely! For me though, I love working through the medium of language and it's not that I find it difficult to do so—well, written language anyway—but... I never feel it communicates everything I want to communicate. Although, perhaps that says more about the ineffability of the Ni I'm trying to express than it does about just the vehicle of the given expression—if that makes sense?

Absolutely! For me though, I love working through the medium of language and it's not that I find it difficult to do so—well, written language anyway—but... I never feel it communicates everything I want to communicate. Although, perhaps that says more about the ineffability of the Ni I'm trying to express than it does about just the vehicle of the given expression—if that makes sense?

Now..I learned a couple of languages.. (it's not just a sytems of words and meaning and sounds - it's also a belief or thinking system that comes with it). I always feel like some cultures point something out better than the other (hence "english is my emotional language" lol) but still..

...and I totally go with @Rowan Tree on that one..

it never really really serves Ni the way I expect or wish for it to do so. It comes close at times. Yet.. welp..
(Maybe because of that Ni-Se conflict that leads to perfectionism? that deep down rooted feeling that nothing of the psyhical world really suits to fully grasp Ni.. ... ... ...

those poor words "how should I put it..?"

....)

[...] either your body with inner aspects and energyflow (Si)… your surroundings with the 5 senses (Se)… your inner letting yourself ponder over a problem (Ti)… or your emotions and well-being (Fi)… [...] I believe group meditation can also serve (Fe)… I am lost with Te..

About that "Te-Meditation":
Fact-based meditating? I sometimes see some kind of INTP tunnel-vision thing going on with him when he is programming. xD
I believe it might also be that weird moment when he wants to sleep during the middle of the night and his brain says "hey man let's talk about quantum physics!"

:tearsofjoy::relaxed: