Carl Jung's Examples Of Ni Types | INFJ Forum

Carl Jung's Examples Of Ni Types

Lilithx

Aug 24, 2017
MBTI
INFj
Enneagram
278sx/sp
Hello all! I've been doing in depth research of what Carl Jung had to say about the functions and so far, it seems as though most sites and practitioners have distorted the original characteristics of Introverted Intuition. The reason I say this, is because on some sites, Ni is described as having 1 vision as in 1 goal in life and seeing it through to the end or it is described as connected ideas . (Which I think would go more to Ti now.) When I look at Jung's examples of Ni types, Seers , Mystics, and Artists, they are nothing like the MBTI descriptions. The same goes for "being organized." There is nothing ( in my opinion) that makes Ni organized in the outside reality other than when inferior Se makes one suffer from a type of OCD. Other than that, Ni doms are generally passing by sensory details and objects and using them in simplistic ways.

Anyways,I wrote a long article about this and I want some input. I was hesitant to do this because I noticed it triggers people's attachments to a point where they scramble to discredit Jung but the reason I've tried not to do that is because Jung is where MBTI & Socionics claimed to "build on." So, I just thought I'd read what Jung said, myself instead of going by Myers' comprehension or anyone else's. I think it's much more important to interpret things myself. So , I went searching and after I found Jung some years ago, I went from swearing I was an INFP to knowing I was an INFJ.

here's the article:

There are many articles online about Introverted Intuition, yet none of them seem to capture the core of what it is about as many other functions. I spent free time researching Carl Jung's books and seminars as a means to further gain clarity of the functions. Of course, I am aware the following writings are my interpretations, alone and that nobody is encouraged to take my word for it. However, if you are interested in MBTI, Socionics or Jung, I do encourage you to do as much research as you can about what Jung states about the functions because this is where MBTI and Socionics claim to have gotten their descriptions of the functions from. Carl Jung described himself as a Ti dominant. He went into analytical psychology and basically rationalized his patients and esoteric things. Most people think Jung was an INFJ but he made it clear Feeling was inferior during an interview. (If it is important, I'll put up the reference.) There is also another passage where Jung states he thought a woman was crazy but she was just highly intuitive. If you think of Jung as Ti dom, Ni is bound to look crazy to him as Ne and Se are concrete functions. They work with reality, even though Ne is intuition it is intuition that bounces off the objective and transforms/advances .

Introverted Intuitives are given unique visions and pick up intuitive things through their perceptive gut feeling. (This is not to be confused with Introverted Feeling, which reacts to rational/ethical issues, right/wrong.) Perceptive gut feeling is the intuition in all of us that "detects" something that is not available to conclude via the 5 senses. Naturally, we call this the "6th sense" but Jung deems this as a bridge between the collective unconscious and the conscious. So while Ni most certainly feels like a foretelling function that gives one visions and a spirit of discernment, what is actually going on, is an organization of the collective unconscious, in one's unconscious. In other terms, you might pick up *that* slot machine is the right one to play but you can't explain why. (This is not to be confused with Ne as Ne is that part of us that actually plays the machine due to the possibility of winning millions..but Ni is detecting which machine. ) Again -- This isn't to make claims that Ni is psychic but to demonstrate that Ni is perceptive gut feeling and provokes images of archetypes of sorts which is what Jung calls "visions and phantasies." However, I will get back to this later.

Allow me to give an example of what I mean about perceptive gut feeling... Let us look at Jung speaking of the Ni dominant who intuits a negative "intuition" about a man:

" An intuitive does with her feelings very much the same thing she does with her thoughts; that is, if she gets a negative intuition about a person, then the person seems all evil, and what he really is matters not at all. "

So, here you see that Ni clearly works like a 6th sense that leads the other functions. In actuality, it is the deepest psychological mind trick that happens to us and we tend to take our visions , dreams and perceptive gut feelings at face value. So , the INTJ/INFJ that gets much too stuck in their dominant Ni, will need an argument that would intrigue the auxiliary function into conflicting with its opposite, which in MBTI terms, is the tertiary or in pure Jungian terms, "The 2nd Auxiliary" or "The Inferior Function's Auxiliary." (Jung specifically said the inferior had an aux which is opposite to the conscious aux.)

To further explain, if an INFJ is picking up that a man is evil and begins to act out the dominant irrationality, their Extraverted Feeling will center around the intuitive perception and cause them to preach things about him that contradict the truth.. In order for one to make an INFJ who has gone overboard with Ni come back down to Earth, is to create conflict between her Extraverted Feeling and Introverted Thinking. You would say to her, "You are giving that man a bad reputation and he is not a threat to group harmony. He is not interrupting and he is polite." The INFJ will begin to open up because you used an Extraverted Feeling based argument. Jung demonstrated a similar scenario with an INTJ woman who projected her reality and thought out onto the world:

"
I cannot bring such a case down to a sense of reality through sensation directly, for to the intuitive, facts are mere air; so then, since thinking is her auxiliary function, I begin to reason with her in a very simple way till she becomes willing to strip from the fact the atmosphere she has projected upon it. Suppose I say to her, "Here is a green monkey." Immediately she will say, "No, it is red." Then I say, "A thousand people say this monkey is green, and if you make it red, it is only of your own imagination."

[ Introduction to Jungian Psychology, Notes of the Seminar on Analytical Psychology Given in 1925 -- C.G. Jung -- Pg 134-135 ]

In the above quote, Jung used a Te argument to bring her back to Earth. Had she been a Ti user, Jung couldn't use an argument pertaining what color the monkey is, according to everyone else to make Te/Fi go at it.

As we know from Psychological Types, Jung pertained to Introverted Intuitive types as Seers, Mystics, And Fantastical Cranks. In the following passage, Jung is referring to a Seeress, (Ni Dominant).

" From childhood she was given to day dreams which, though they bordered on visions, were not neurotic symptoms.

She was so interested in these phantasies that she liked to reproduce them in drawings and embroideries."

[ Carl Jung on the seeress of Prevorst ]

I do recommend that entire article. It can be found, here: https://carljungdepthpsychologysite.blog/2018/01/09/carl-jung-on-the-seeress-of-prevorst/

Most people claim Jung only spoke of the mentally ill, but here he makes it clear that her visions were not that of neurosis. The Ni dominant, Seeress got visions in her mind about things and she would draw them. This is how the INJ artist works. When people read the word "artist" in MBTI, they assume someone who enjoys are for the sake of it. However, the Ni artist creates art based on their dreams and visions. Perhaps you were to lay down, close your eyes and meditate. The collective unconscious stirs up an image of a woman with pink eyes, which flashes into your inner vision and you see her chopping down a tree. As an Ni artist, you would then try to describe your vision , paint it, draw or, or create another piece of art that you feel gets the essence of your visions out.

In that passage, Jung also refers to stories where the girl detected that "spirits " were near her and that she had a "spirit guide" in the form of a monk or guardian angel. According to Jung, this was the mere doing of the unconscious mind , which formed the connection between the man who had formerly saved her from trouble before. The man became a symbol [spirit guide] of "the rescuer" whenever the woman was in trouble. Jung further refers to the Ni dominant as a spiritualist of sorts by speaking of the lady who spoke of a snake in her abdomen. Those who are informed about what Kundalini is knew what the lady had gone through and Jung later solidified that indeed, the woman had a Kundalini awakening. (These teaching are popular in specific spiritual communities.)

Many people in the MBTI community shirk at titles given to INFJs such as psychics, spiritualists and fortune tellers. However, the type more than likely to take the following practices seriously, are Ni dominants:

Psychic Reading
Astrology
Psychology
Ghost/Alien Hunting
Dream Meaning
Numerology
Energy Detection
Mediumship
Tongues Translator

That is the ironic thing. ..And I'm not talking about scammers but those of us who have prophetic dreams and who have intuitions about the future and others.. Some say, "you took Jung too literal" but when we take a look at the examples of Ni Jung gave: John The Baptist, Seers, Prophets, Astrologers, and etc., they are In fact, bordering along those very lines. Jung referred to practices such as Tarot Card Reading and Astrology as Ni practices because they use archetypes as symbolic ways to make predictions about others , themselves and the world. In Jung's view, Astrology is projected psychology, archetypes and synchronicity. Tarot Cards connect with humanity's collective unconscious by using archetypes to as symbols to try to predict the future. So, when you read about examples Jung used to describe Ni, you get a sense of how off most MBTI websites and practitioners are when speaking about this function...and it is no wonder why there are so many claiming these types.

Contrary to popular belief, Introverted Intuition has little to do with creating a vision for how they'd like to live their lives. (This is not to say they cannot but that it does not belong to the Ni function.) Extraverted Intuition coupled with another function, is more likely to help us manifest our realistic visions. Introverted Intuitives have no control over visions they see, perceptive gut feelings they get or insights they pick up. This is where certitude comes in. The Ni vision is almost always either foretelling of coming events or getting gut feelings and odd insights that are unconsciously stimulated by the outside world.

Another portion of Ni I'd like to point out, is that Ni doms chase just as many possibilities as Ne users do. The difference, is the direction/attitude of the N function. Ne doms act on possibilities in their surroundings and Ni users expect certain things to happen depending on what they've picked up or their dreams and visions. It's sort of like the example Jung gave of the Ni dominant woman, seeing a man in her dreams and waking up and expecting every knock at the door to be him. That is true Ni potential and true Ni possibility. It is reliant on the subjective factor -- *HER* inner dream. (When I use dream here, I literally mean a dream..as in you go to sleep and have a prophetic dream.) Not a "dream" like Martin Luther King, (who I now believe could've been ENTP or ENFP), where you seek to manifest this dream. Ni doms expect the dream/vision to come to past , regardless while Ne sees an opportunity for themselves or others to transform a thing or advance .

Many people read Psychological Types and attempt to make an argument claiming, "Jung is outdated" and that PT was only "pertaining to mental illness" to discredit the descriptions of the functions that they don't fit with or relate to. However, my research includes much more than psychological types and in no way has Jung eluded to a theory about Astrologers nor Tarot readers, being neurotic . In fact, Jung found a way to rationalize Astrology and Tarot cards and found these helpful in figuring out some of his patients. (Attributing these things to archetypes of the collective unconscious of humanity.) As an astrologer and tarot reader, myself, I naturally believed in the images as they were while studying Jung helped me explain these things more intelligibly.

Another point I'd like to make--INFJ's Fe will most definitely not look like ENFJ's Fe because both have different aims. The INFJ's Fe has to coincide with their visions, dreams, and perceptive gut feelings, if there are any about a given person or situation. The ENFJ's aims are the people. The INFJ's the intuition. The INTJ's Te will not look like an ENTJ's Te because Te is aiming at Ni. The ENTJ's aim is to feed his objective systematic idea. The INTJ's , the intuition. Furthermore, Jung states Te auxiliary tends to be more reflective of where one could've been more or less efficient at.

After the research I have done thus far, I'm confident in saying that INJs are the strangest to society because they appear removed from comprehending reality correctly. Most people claim that "prophets, seers, and artists" that Jung describe don't exist in the world today but they do. The truth is, a lot of people in MBTI who claim this, don't value Ni and so they naturally don't put themselves among such characters. They say, "I don't relate to what Jung has said" and so they rearrange the original characteristics of the functions to fit society or their own character, making Ni more concrete than what the examples Jung always gave, are. But what sort of bothers me, is I thought the purpose of Typology was to learn the functions so we can help ourselves and each other. Yet, people get too attached to being specific types and hung up on that rather than being accurate. After finding Jung's original teachings, he has helped me.

As I have said... If people saw Ni for what it truly was, perhaps the types probably wouldn't be as coveted. The archetypes of Ni in the world in which we live, are (but not limited to) , your Astrologers, Tarot Card Readers, Mediums, Spiritualists, (Not to mix this with religion), Conspiracy Theorists and those who warned everyone about 2012, in society. Ni is the function the wild predictions of the apocalypse belongs to, to give you a better idea. Everyone has Ni. The intuition that tells you "something is off" is how it collectively presents itself in society. In the Ni dominant, though it gets priority and guides the INJ.

"Perspectives" - Jung talks about how the Ni dom has the capacity to create a new life energy. By this, through their convictions, insights, and dreams they can. A really good example of this from who I believe to be an INTJ is Arcturus Ra on YouTube. He lives his life through his Intuitive perception of life, (spiritualistic views, starseeds, Arcturian Council, etc) and translates his ideas into tangible ones that can be used for all. (Such as the RA Key.) (Ni/Te) Teal Swan is another archetype who is probably An INFJ. (She could be an ENFJ) and another great example is Arcturus RA's partner, Krista Raisa. There are hundreds more who demonstrate Ni dom types and auxes, the way Jung described them but you find these types in specific communities where they are accepted.

After understanding all of this, it is no wonder many people in the MBTI community do not identify with Jung's version of NJs, especially INJs. If you take off the INFJ or INTJ label and looks out into society, people who speak in such ways and practice such things, are often taunted as being either insane, out for money or weird. Even Jung himself mistook the Ni dom for a crazy person until he realized she was intensely intuitive. I am under the impression that most INJs in the community are not these types because they hardly hit on any accuracy when compared to how Jung originally described the functions. In fact, a lot of people who have their "type" are still using the tests instead of starting with Jung on the functions.

I don't really like having unpopular views on this because it tugs at people's insecurities because people have a habit of getting attached to ideal types, instead of focusing on self development or understanding others. My goal, since 2015 was to get down to the bottom of my type and others' so I could know my way around their personalities and to develop my own by detecting issues.

I hope nobody reads this and hates me. I just wanted to bring more Jung to the forefront so that we could grow more accurate in typing ourselves.

The more I research, the more I learn!

TL;DR

Ni doms are magical kundalini masters and also entirely useless potatoes.

Most infjs on this forum already know this.

Last edited:
I hope nobody reads this and hates me. I just wanted to bring more Jung to the forefront so that we could grow more accurate in typing ourselves.
Thank you gor bringing your findings to us. I don't believe anyone will hate you for sharing your ideas, hoping you'll post more here. That really was an informational read.
discussing Jungian versions of the functions
I'd like to learn more...:rainbowlove:

I wonder if anyone is actually interested in discussing Jungian versions of the functions instead of MBTI's....

They are the same. Just packaged differently.

Reactions: Sandie33 and Asa
Ok so I've been reading a bit, and there are some somewhat important distinctions, and I quite like what Jung had to say about it. I think it was closer to the truth of it than what MBTI has done, but I think MBTI is more readily digestible to the general populace. I also think there is some truth in the MBTI's assertion that people innately have a preferred mode and develop through it.

"Jung theorized that the dominant function acts alone in its preferred world: exterior for extraverts and interior for introverts. The remaining three functions, he suggested, operate together in the opposite orientation. "

"The terms used for each dichotomy have specific technical meanings relating to the MBTI, which differ from their everyday usage. For example, people who prefer judgment over perception are not necessarily more "judgmental" or less "perceptive", nor does the MBTI instrument measure aptitude; it simply indicates for one preference over another.[17]:3 Someone reporting a high score for extraversion over introversion cannot be correctly described as more extraverted: they simply have a clear preference.
Point scores on each of the dichotomies can vary considerably from person to person, even among those with the same type. However, Isabel Myers considered the direction of the preference (for example, E vs. I) to be more important than the degree of the preference (for example, very clear vs. slight).[14] The expression of a person's psychological type is more than the sum of the four individual preferences. The preferences interact through type dynamics and type development."

"Jung's typological model regards psychological type as similar to left or right handedness: people are either born with, or develop, certain preferred ways of perceiving and deciding. The MBTI sorts some of these psychological differences into four opposite pairs, or "dichotomies", with a resulting 16 possible psychological types. None of these types is "better" or "worse"; however, Briggs and Myers theorized that people innately "prefer" one overall combination of type differences.[1]:9 In the same way that writing with the left hand is difficult for a right-hander, so people tend to find using their opposite psychological preferences more difficult, though they can become more proficient (and therefore behaviorally flexible) with practice and development."

So yes, they are the same functions in essence, but being viewed through a different lens and presented in slightly altered packaging.

Carl Jung
Subjective | Objective
Perception | Intuition/Sensing | Introversion/Extraversion 1
Judging | Feeling/Thinking | Introversion/Extraversion 2

Myers–Briggs
Subjective | Objective
Deductive | Intuition/Sensing | Introversion/Extraversion
Inductive | Feeling/Thinking | Perception/Judging

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers–Briggs_Type_Indicator#Differences_from_Jung

Last edited:
Wyote said:
Jung theorized that the dominant function acts alone in its preferred world: exterior for extraverts and interior for introverts. The remaining three functions, he suggested, operate together in the opposite orientation

I know you're probably quoting the article, but just wanted to respond to this -- it's more accurate to say Jung thought this of people with undeveloped auxiliary. Jung thought of people with two developed functions as roughly having two "conscious" functions, and these pair together in the SAME attitude. Nietzsche, thus, in Ch. III and Ch. X is revealed to have introverted thinking to complement his dominant introverted intuition.

OTOH, yes, in say the Ti-dom portrait, he does show how intuition, sensation, and feeling are all extraverted...in Ch. X, but here he's pretty clearly describing a situation where all of them are considered inferior/undeveloped.

@charlatan right right! I just tried to throw down some general thoughts from the wiki. It's tough to explain all of it in a simple way :)

I don’t know the clear difference between all the theories, but what I appreciate is the definition of what intuition is and knowing that I have it. In this sense, I give Jung a lot of credit.

The US especially, is a concrete world, which means Ti/Te tends to be acknowledged and rewarded more easily while Ni/Ne, is somewhat mistrusted. I find this part of the hardship of being intuitive. It can feel like a parlor trick to some when it’s not.

Reading that article, I doubt that my intuition (if that is what it is) is in any way dominant. Function tests (if they can be used as a reference) show my Fe as most developed. Not having a clear definition of Ni, or a knowledge that it is even there, makes me doubt myself more often than not. Doubly so reading this article, because I have an internal struggle about whether to believe in this or not. For the most part, my rational part, thinks it is bogous, but when I whimsically indulge in it, and it is true in that instance, I am having doubts again (as much as I try to find rational-sounding excuses to pursue it further), as if that were the most integral part of myself. One which I hate, because I have an innate desire to know everything.

Gut feeling, okay, everybody has them every once in a while, but how do you know?

Jung wrote about a functional stack and he actually elaborated on the 2nd Auxiliary he referred to in Psychological Types, in another seminar. He described the 2nd aux function as an unconscious function and one that sides with the inferior. In fact, he says the (what Harold Grant calls the tertiary), the aux to the inferior function, here. Jung also made it clear that the tertiary function would be the inferior of the aux function, so that clearly lays out a valid argument for the Harold Grant stacking. (Ni-Fe-Ti-Se.)

"For all the types met with in practice, the rule holds good that besides the conscious, primary function there is a relatively unconscious, auxiliary function which is in every respect different from the nature of the primary function. The resulting combinations present the familiar picture of, for instance, practical thinking allied with sensation, speculative thinking forging ahead with intuition, artistic intuition selecting and presenting its images with the help of feeling-values, philosophical intuition systematizing its vision into comprehensible thought by means of a powerful intellect, and so on.

The unconscious functions likewise group themselves in patterns correlated with the conscious ones. Thus, the correlative of conscious, practical thinking may be unconscious, intuitive-feeling attitude, with feeling under a stronger inhibition than intuition."

{CW6 - Pg 406-407, Par669-670}

Here's more:

"If we think of the psychological functions as arranged in a circle, then the most differentiated function is usually the carrier of the ego and equally regularly, has an auxiliary function attached to it. The "inferior" function, on the other hand is unconscious and for that reason is projected into a non-ego. It too has an auxiliary function."

And finally,

"
Looking at it the other way around, if you are an intuitive type, you can't get to your sensations directly. They are full of monsters, and so you have to go by way of your intellect or feeling, whichever is the auxiliary in the conscious. It needs very cool reasoning for such a man to keep himself down to reality. To sum up then, the way is from the superior to the auxiliary, from the latter to the function opposite to the auxiliary. Usually this first conflict that is aroused between the auxiliary function in the conscious and its opposite function in the unconscious is the fight that takes place in analysis. This may be called the preliminary conflict. The knockdown battle between the superior and inferior functions only takes place in life. In the example of the intellectual sensation type, I suggested the preliminary conflict would be between sensation and intuition, and the final fight between intellect and feeling."

{Introduction to Jungian Psychology, Notes of the Seminar on Analytical Psychology Given in 1925 -- C.G. Jung -- Pg 75-76}

So Jung makes it clear here that the tertiary function, (3rd and unconscious aux function) will be the inferior to the conscious aux function , solidifying the Harold Grant stack of Ni/Fe/Ti/Se. It seems to me that all other "expansions" of Jung's work have been miscomprehended by this information. There are way more teachings Jung did outside of Psychological Types on Ni and other functions and that actually helped me understand better what he was saying. I do not agree to the way MBTI went about things because there is clearly the Ni/Ne type, a difference between Intuitions. One is an Extravert, so they are naturally geared towards Ne while another says they are an Introvert, naturally geared towards trusting their own inner intuition, Ni. In my mind, if Fe is more utilized than Ni, one is an ENFJ.

I am not a fan of the way MBTI do the J/P thing. I think it causes tons of mistypes and confusion and it throws off the purpose of typology. It is not to box people in, of course but it is to figure out how others and ourselves operate in order to create better atmospheres and get around each other's flaws. What good is Jungian Typology if it is no longer Jungian, a qualified psychologist? Myers was not a psychologist in the least and in my view she has distorted Jung's original teachings.

I agree that the US is more Sensing based but just because the US is like this doesn't mean Jungian functions get to be bent. It would simply mean it would make your living in the US a bit tougher leading with Ni but the way Ni functions does not change.

And as I've said, we have ALL the functions I can could give an example of how every functions works in the collective humanity as a whole. You will be able to relate to every function at a point because you're human but what makes the difference is when it takes priority.

For example: I use Introverted Sensation for comfort as does millions of people in the world. However, when Si takes priority a person becomes a tad more rigid when it comes to change and more in tune with their inner body and more strict with finances.

The 4 dichotomies only tap the surface and don't get into these things. An ISFP and ISFJ lean towards 2 different types of sensing. One is focused on concrete sensing in accordance with Introverted Feeling while the other is more comfortable with abstract sensation backed by Extraverted Feeling.. and so you will get one who may appear more expressive than he other once you get to know them... because Fe is more expressive of feeling than Fi is. (As Jung stated, Fi types sometimes come across as T types because they need indirect modes of expressing feeling.)

Everyone of course is entitled to follow what makes the most sense to them but sometimes, Jung flat out states the opposite of what these MBTI sites do. Socionics is much more effective and accurate when it comes to Jung's original works. A way to tell I understood a function correctly is to find more examples Jung gives for each dominant type and where he further explains it in other books , letters, and lectures. Had I not done that, I wouldn't have had confirmation that Astrology and Tarot were considered an Ni practice by Jung. It's called Active Imagination... which Ni doms rely on. It can come across as perceptive gut feeling, visions, or dream interpretation/translation but in the end Jung states the Ni dom is reading images from the collective unconscious while they mostly don't relate their visions to their own psyche. This is why we speak in symbols and such. For example, in Astrology the Moon represents emotions while Mercury represents the intellect. If one has Moon square Mercury in the chart, it would mean that your emotions are constantly at war with your logic. Yet, to onlookers, Astrologers look and sound crazy because sensing types or types that don't understand symbolism will think we are saying these actual planets have impact on our character while Jung has described this as projected psychology. The intuitive just speaks so different from the rest of the world that they think we are nuts but we understand ourselves. This is the reason the Ni dominant is hidden from society but there are plenty of us in the US, just we hide in certain communities that will accept our Ni. The same goes for Ti, Fi and Si. Nobody is special here, just different. Introverts rely on their own subjective views and depending on the dominant, each will feel misunderstood should they try to convey the intensity of their dominant function, as Jung makes clear in PT.

The wise Ni user would stay silent about the intuitions they pick up. So if you get all of these visions and things, it does not mean you are not an INFJ/INTJ just because you don't do anything with them. In fact, Jung says this is the normal type.. but perhaps more quieter. I am the morally inclined type where I am determined to "help" others by reading their birth charts and trying to read their lives for them for free. So, I try to make use of my Ni visions for myself and others but you don't have to do this. If you use Ni, you will know if you study Jungian examples and etc of Ni.

Fi users are quiet about ethics and emotions but they express them by joining specific groups that surround their morals and they get their emotions out by creative art.

Ti users are quiet about theories to the public but they may express ideas and theories to groups that share the same thought or engage in debate for the opportunity to intensify their thinking.. or learn something new that makes more sense to them than what they originally though. They mostly keep their opinions on the inside.

Si dominants receive impressions about the outer world.. sort of like sensual moods we get into when we listen to certain songs. It's not the same as an emotion, like feeling sad but a mood like a "sexy song without words" has a "sensuous mood" attached and we all get that. But the introverted sensor also noticed smaller specific details that stick out, is in tune with their inner body and gets attached to first impressions or things as how the Si dom has come to know them.

So Si doms are quiet about the impressions they get because they don't feel anyone will understand what the heck they are talking about if they were to say, "This song has a nice vibe" meaning the subjective sensations they are getting from the song.. an Extraverted Sensor might not get it or one who is not so in tune with that type of stuff. The Se dom may be focused more on the actual beat and lyrics while the Si is being impacted mood wise by the song...

Sorry to be so longwinded . I have a bad habit of doing that..

Reactions: Skarekrow
I admit to having a passion for psychological topics, this is partially why I am an Astrologer and why I'm so obsessed with Jungian theory. I feel as though some people either don't "feel like" studying Jung or that they've been fed so many distortions by MBTI and sites mixing Jung/MBTI up that it almost seems impossible to undo it all and I get that. I'm just here to share some information just in case anyone is interested in learning more... :)

Reactions: Skarekrow
Reading that article, I doubt that my intuition (if that is what it is) is in any way dominant. Function tests (if they can be used as a reference) show my Fe as most developed. Not having a clear definition of Ni, or a knowledge that it is even there, makes me doubt myself more often than not. Doubly so reading this article, because I have an internal struggle about whether to believe in this or not. For the most part, my rational part, thinks it is bogous, but when I whimsically indulge in it, and it is true in that instance, I am having doubts again (as much as I try to find rational-sounding excuses to pursue it further), as if that were the most integral part of myself. One which I hate, because I have an innate desire to know everything.

Gut feeling, okay, everybody has them every once in a while, but how do you know?

The way I know is similar to the way INFPs are Fi dominant. That is to say, if my intuition tells me something, I will suppress Fe if it doesn’t align with what my intuition tells me. Though I’d like it to be kumbaya all the time, I will go with my own vision over group harmony. Another way to think about it is to contrast with those who are Ne dominant. They’re just going to go where the wind blows, regardless of appointments, plans and what-not.

The way I know is similar to the way INFPs are Fi dominant. That is to say, if my intuition tells me something, I will suppress Fe if it doesn’t align with what my intuition tells me. Though I’d like it to be kumbaya all the time, I will go with my own vision over group harmony. Another way to think about it is to contrast with those who are Ne dominant. They’re just going to go where the wind blows, regardless of appointments, plans and what-not.
But that is merely a definition of something by what it is not. It is not a finite definition. What is Ni?

You described exactly how Ni works in an INFJ. INFJs aims are their intuition, not people first. Fe works as a slave to Ni so the Introverted Intuitive will use Fe where Ni sees fit.

But that is merely a definition of something by what it is not. It is not a finite definition. What is Ni?

Ni is the direct link between the collective unconscious and the conscious. Ni is created by unconscious Extraverted Sensation +The collective unconscious, meaning people take in reality passively and the collective unconscious, ( the part of the unconscious mind that is derived from ancestral memory and experience and is common to all humankind, as distinct from the individual's unconscious.) -- conjures up images, visions, and perceptive gut feelings. By the time it reaches consciousness with the Ni user, it appears as the certified truth. (This is where it becomes Ni.) This is why Ni doms tend to seem bizarre to the outside world.

You described exactly how Ni works in an INFJ. INFJs aims are their intuition, not people first. Fe works as a slave to Ni so the Introverted Intuitive will use Fe where Ni sees fit.

Ni is the direct link between the collective unconscious and the conscious. Ni is created by unconscious Extraverted Sensation +The collective unconscious, meaning people take in reality passively and the collective unconscious, ( the part of the unconscious mind that is derived from ancestral memory and experience and is common to all humankind, as distinct from the individual's unconscious.) -- conjures up images, visions, and perceptive gut feelings. By the time it reaches consciousness with the Ni user, it appears as the certified truth. (This is where it becomes Ni.) This is why Ni doms tend to seem bizarre to the outside world.
One hundred percent true. I am literally guided by my gut. It is so strong and so often have I told people that something was going on or about to occur and when asked how I knew this, I could only provide the response: "I just know". There is no formal structure of logic to it, no metered rhyme or reason, only the power of the mighty intuition in and of itself, which in some of us is indeed alien like to the rest of the logical world, making us INFJ / intuitive types seem very weird.

Here is what Jung directly says about Introverted Intuition in Psychological Types and a bit of commentary thereafter:

"The introverted intuitive type, like the extraverted intuitive, has an uncanny capacity for smelling out the future, the notyet-manifest possibilities of a situation. But the intuition is directed within, hence they are primarily found among seers and prophets, poets, artists; among primitive peoples they are the shamans who convey the messages of the gods to the tribe. On a more mundane level, persons of this type tend to be mystical day-dreamers. They do not communicate well, are frequently misunderstood, lack good judgment about both themselves and others, and never accomplish anything. They move from image to image, writes Jung, "chasing after every possibility in the teeming womb of the unconscious," without establishing any personal connection.108 This type is especially liable to neglect ordinary physical needs. They often have little awareness of their own bodily existence or its effect on others. It often appears (especially to the extravert) that reality does not exist for them—they are simply lost in fruitless fantasies. Jung counters this by describing the value of this type to the collective community: The perception of the images of the unconscious, produced in such inexhaustible abundance by the creative energy of life, is of course fruitless from the standpoint of immediate utility. But since these images represent possible views of the world which may give life a new potential, this function, which to the outside world is the strangest of all, is as indispensable to the total psychic economy as is the corresponding human type to the psychic life of a people. Had this type not existed, there would have been no prophets in Israel.109 Introverted intuitives are characteristically vague about details in the "real" world. They easily get lost in strange cities; they misplace possessions, forget appointments, seldom turn up on time, arrive at airports at the very last minute. Their working environment is usually chaotic; they can't find the right papers, the tools they need, clean clothes. There is seldom anything orderly or tidy about them. They tend to muddle through life, dependent on the tolerance and good will of sensation-oriented friends."

Some but not all Ni dominant types are the ones to tell you they channel or talk to spirits, feel spirit guides, get gut feelings about events but not based on any moral reasoning or logical reasoning as the above poster, stated. We are not psychics but we appear that way and it may feel that way to the INFJ/INTJ. Seers are clairvoyants but Jung put this into better perspective as he was a concrete analyst.

The possibilities the Ni dominant sees are ones of a possible future such as forecasting events. Jung even suggest one who predicted the weather was using introverted intuition. That's the difference between Ne and Ni. Ni predicts/forecasts the future while Ne makes the future happen through seizing new opportunities that arise in the actual reality/situation and transforming people and things to create new and whole things. It's like Simon Cowell putting together one direction, he used Ne potential for that. But Ni is more like forecasting something to come instead of making it come or happen.

That’s funny because in my first post I was going to say something along the lines of I know I’m intuitive, but until I started thinking about my own personality and going down the MBTI rabbit hole, I didn’t quite realize that most people were not.

It is not just a feeling, though there is a feeling to it. It is insight and an understanding of how something is and may be, arrived at largely in an unconscious manner. So for instance, I’ll be consciously working on a proof for a math problem, then the answer will arrive while I’m in the shower. I’m not logically working at it step-by-step. In fact, my logic can stand in my way of getting the answer and I’d be better off flying a kite.

In terms of definition, thinking about correlations between MBTI and the Big 5, I think intuition is partly defined by openness, though I think there’s more to it. It might be openness and a difference in brain structure. Dunno, not my field.

Here is what Jung directly says about Introverted Intuition in Psychological Types and a bit of commentary thereafter:

This type is especially liable to neglect ordinary physical needs. They often have little awareness of their own bodily existence or its effect on others. It often appears (especially to the extravert) that reality does not exist for them—they are simply lost in fruitless fantasies. Jung counters this by describing the value of this type to the collective community: The perception of the images of the unconscious, produced in such inexhaustible abundance by the creative energy of life, is of course fruitless from the standpoint of immediate utility. But since these images represent possible views of the world which may give life a new potential, this function, which to the outside world is the strangest of all, is as indispensable to the total psychic economy as is the corresponding human type to the psychic life of a people. Had this type not existed, there would have been no prophets in Israel.109 Introverted intuitives are characteristically vague about details in the "real" world. They easily get lost in strange cities; they misplace possessions, forget appointments, seldom turn up on time, arrive at airports at the very last minute. Their working environment is usually chaotic; they can't find the right papers, the tools they need, clean clothes. There is seldom anything orderly or tidy about them. They tend to muddle through life, dependent on the tolerance and good will of sensation-oriented friends."

Dear Lord, and all this time I thought it was my adhd! I see now that by this description it all fits... because I always read that INFJ's are never late and I was telling another member worried she was not a real INFJ because she was sometimes untidy and late that we all have diff ennetypes and upbringings and traumas and things like perhaps ADHD can also effect that side of an INFJ. But that we also are so perfectionist that we get stuck worrying we won't do it perfectly and we freeze at the end of novel or giant project we have indeed been honing for months or years... terrified to pull that final trigger for fear of it not being absolutely perfect. Then I found memes about INFJ's being forgetful... one of Dumbeldore, in fact which also echoes the message you are teaching here. Us introverted intuitive types are weird.. good weird imo. But we do forget the practical. I am often mocked for this. My parents used to say things like: "You'll be late for your own funeral", and "You'd lose your head if it were not attached"... ;)
e2865d1a066835ea46ff11aca299ec0f.jpg