Clerk loses job over taking a stand | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Clerk loses job over taking a stand

Well it's messed up that you can actually buy smokes with EBT.. I did not know that.
I thought it was only for food items.
But it bothers me more that she judged him like that.

If she feels that way, she needs to get out there and rally people to ask for legislation banning that,
not nit pick one customer at a time..
But then again maybe the publicity from this will get people to do something, as I didn't even know it was legal to make those purchases.
Bah. I still am annoyed by her.

The EBT cash option is seperate from EBT food. For example I get EBT Food but not EBT cash.

I completely agree that there is something that seems really off about being able to buy booze and cigarettes with government allotted money. BUT then again... there are a lot of frivolous things people buy on a day to day basis. Some people are addicted to junk food, some people are addicted to cigarettes. Both can kill you if you have too much of them for too long. Where do you draw the line as to what people should or should not be allowed to use that money for?

One thing I feel pretty much certain of is that the government as a whole absolutely does not care where someone spends that money, only that they spend it. Cigarettes and alcohol are heavily taxed, so if someone spends their government money on that, a large majority of that money is going right back into the governments pocket. Why wouldn't they want that? If what you spend it on makes you sick, that is even more money you will end up having to put into the system.

It's economic stimulation either way, why would they care if someone spends it on cigarettes or organic vegetables?

Personal rant aside, I agree that what would be better to do in a situation like this is to write your congressman and complain, rally for a change. Pushing your values on customers who are within their legal rights isn't changing anything.

@acd I get EBT assistance but it is for food items only. Food item only EBT you are not allowed to purchase any non-food items, cigarettes, liquor, toilet paper, diapers, you name it. Where as cash EBT can be used like a debit card to purchase anything.

The problem guys is you can do both. I get booze and pop with my SSI money. I also have enough money from food stamps / SSI to pay my rent, bills and get good quality food. Again I think people are acting like you can do only one or the other.

I don't think most you guys have every actually had to be on assistance. Me or some other person buying junk food, pop, booze, or cigarettes with money they get from assistance is perfectly fine. As there are lot of people like myself who actually manged my money well.

Its like saying someone who has students loans can't buy these things for selves cause its not there money.

I don't know I think I'm going to drop this thread. This issue is very personal for me. As someone who as actually on federal assistance and is doing right and not causing trouble.

Reactions: Cornerstone
Not sure why you are responding this way to the post of mine you quoted? /confused

Not sure why you are responding this way to the post of mine you quoted? /confused

Sorry Jill I didn't want to quote everyone and have a bucket full of quotes. not trying to pick on you!

Reactions: Jill Hives
I agree with you [MENTION=3240]Jill Hives[/MENTION] .

I don't really see this as "taking a stand". It was an obviously ineffective way of voicing and implementing her beliefs. An inappropriate situation to bring her personal beliefs into.

Regarding her belief itself, I don't think that government money should be used to buy things like junk food, tobacco, and alcohol, but when it comes to tobacco and alcohol people can have bad effects if they don't feed their addiction sometimes.

Hopefully she ends up on EBT and some asshole store clerk doesn't want to sell her tampons for her giant bloody vagina.

This whole "food stamps" idea is fucking archaic and should be removed immediately.

I don't care if you call it Electronic Balance Transmogrification or w/e, it's a fucking food stamp.

Oh and they should be free to spend it on whatever the hell they want to, if they starve themselves from buying too many fags then that's one less person on welfare.

Reactions: Trifoilum
Hopefully she ends up on EBT and some asshole store clerk doesn't want to sell her tampons for her giant bloody vagina.

Well, considering the fact she is 65 years old -- and working a high-flying top-dollar career as a convenience store clerk, most likely in order to make ends meet -- it is highly unlikely she will be purchasing tampons with her EBT.

And his Foster Mother? He sent his foster mother in there to complain? That is wrong on so many levels.

She probably should have been fired for bad customer service, because no, it was not her place to argue with a customer. But I do feel quite sympathetic for her, for taking a stand against idiocy. Maybe I'll find out how I can send her a donation or get a group to support her like they did that old lady bus driver who got bullied and is now $500,000 + richer for taking that crap. Shrug.

I was going to applaud the clerk,
but then I realized it's the customer that's a bit douchey himself. :|
(Or maybe it's just my personal bias. Employment benefits for cigarettes... seriously?)

So it's a somewhat 'conservative' (in the traditional sense) old lady meets a douche.

Oh-kay.

If this was not a customer > clerk situation, I'd applaud the old lady over her conviction, minimal. (I recognize the belief is not entirely positive or universal, so it would depend)
Since this was a customer > clerk situation, I'd at least applaud her for having some decency by quitting and not whining over it, 2011-2012 Republican-style.

At 65 she probably doesnt have a bloody vagina anymore.

Reactions: 5r6jhd
They just give money in the UK (not much, mind)

I think food stamps that can only be exchanged for food is a good thing if it's a family with kids. Most would be responsible with the money if they were parents (mine were) but of course there are some who need to be kept on a tight leash for the sake of the children. I don't know how to make that work whilst maintaining dignity for those who could easily be responsible with money, though.

I don't think most you guys have every actually had to be on assistance. Me or some other person buying junk food, pop, booze, or cigarettes with money they get from assistance is perfectly fine. As there are lot of people like myself who actually manged my money well.

I was on assistance for a short period in 1987, but back then you received paper food stamp coupons. So my knowledge of how it works these days is lacking.
I do remember however other people in line at the grocery store, and how they would look over the items in your cart and give you the evil eye, or whisper disparaging comments to others should you God forbid have a treat like ice cream in the basket. Overlooking the produce, meats and other healthy things I was also buying.

I recall wishing I could buy cigs or beer with them too though.
There were corner markets near were I lived at the time in South Mpls., that would buy foods stamps for 50 - 75 cents on the dollar, then turn them in to the government for face value. I never went that route myself.
There was a whole underground economy centered around them. I imagine there still is today.

This whole "food stamps" idea is fucking archaic and should be removed immediately.

I don't care if you call it Electronic Balance Transmogrification or w/e, it's a fucking food stamp.

Oh and they should be free to spend it on whatever the hell they want to, if they starve themselves from buying too many fags then that's one less person on welfare.

What is your issue with "food stamps"? As someone currently using them, I'm glad other people disagree with you. They are really helping me and my family right now.

Reactions: MindYourHead
They just give money in the UK (not much, mind)

I think food stamps that can only be exchanged for food is a good thing if it's a family with kids. Most would be responsible with the money if they were parents (mine were) but of course there are some who need to be kept on a tight leash for the sake of the children. I don't know how to make that work whilst maintaining dignity for those who could easily be responsible with money, though.

Normally those that have been shown to be irresponsible and have children would have social workers and their spending monitored.

What is your issue with "food stamps"? As someone currently using them, I'm glad other people disagree with you. They are really helping me and my family right now.

My problem is that not only does it cost money to actually produce food stamps, it creates a false economy and treats everyone whose only crime is not having a job like a fucking moron.

Just hand out the cash equivalent.

My problem is that not only does it cost money to actually produce food stamps, it creates a false economy and treats everyone whose only crime is not having a job like a fucking moron.

Just hand out the cash equivalent.

Still not sure I see what the problem is with getting money that is designated for food alone. How is that treating someone like a moron? Do you mean because the government is the one deciding if they have to buy actual food with the money they are given and not buy other things if they're assigned to food stamps? And how does that affect the economy differently than just receiving cash?

I'm just trying to understand, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you. Actually if they did it that way it would help me because at this point I usually have quite a bit more money than I really need for food, but still sometimes not enough to buy diapers and other non-food necessity items without some help from my mom. Which does annoy me a bit, truth be told... Still, I am super grateful that I have the option to be getting the assistance in the first place though.

Corporate policy says "Do A" and employee does "B".
Corporation says, "Are you going to do A ever?".
Employee responds "No".
Employee gets fired.

This seems less about how to properly use an EBT card and more an argument for collective bargaining (unions).

Corporate policy says "Do A" and employee does "B".
Corporation says, "Are you going to do A ever?".
Employee responds "No".
Employee gets fired.

This seems less about how to properly use an EBT card and more an argument for collective bargaining (unions).

Actually, that's quite a good point. She could start a union... or she could say it violated her religious beliefs and sue the company for age discrimination and mental truama. What's worse? One unemployed and presumably underage (?) person unable to buy cigarettes with his food stamps (possibly illegally, since he has a foster mother and is probably therefore too young to buy cigarettes... so it violated the law...) at that particular convenience store from that particular clerk, or one (admittedly crotchety and grouchy) working poor convenience store clerk who wants to uphold the law now out of a job and probably headed for public assistance. I guarantee there will be a lot of people who are firmly on the side of the clerk. I hope she makes out like a bandit.

I think food stamps are better than cash equivalent. Beggars cant be choosers after all.

I agree @Op, its messed up they can do that - but the employee does not get paid to make those decisions. That's why managers etc get paid more, because they have to take risky decisions like that.

I have three friends at work, one get a $200 food EBT card every -week- for her four kids, she then goes and "sells" $100 of it for $60 cash to my other friend at work. Then, the third friend comes into the picture with her WIC program and shares it with the other two.

Not because they are needy, because they are lazy as hell and figure "hey they ain't stopping me!" ... They also got Section 8 housing for their kids so their kids could move to FANCY EXPENSIVE NICE AS HELL apartments, and their rent will only be about $300 total for the place. I confronted her about the abuse of section 8 and she said "hey i applied like 4 years ago the government didn't have to approve me!" Its about personal responsibility. I have started to part ways with those people after that occurrence.