Jill Hives

fhtagn
Retired Staff
Oct 11, 2010
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
PETERBOROUGH — Jackie R. Whiton of Antrim had been a six-year employee at the Big Apple convenience store in Peterborough until a single transaction sent her job up in smoke. The store clerk was fired after she refused to take a customers Electronic Balance Transfer card to pay for cigarettes.

Whiton said a young man came in to the store to buy two packs or cigarettes on May 29. When she asked him for his ID, he handed her his EBT card.

EBT cards are used for both food and cash assistance programs. There are two types of cards: one can only be used for food. The other can be spent on anything and used just like a debit card. Whiton said she did not think EBT cards could be used to purchase cigarettes and refused to sell to him. The two “had a little go-around” as the line got longer behind him, said Whiton.

“I made the statement, ‘do you think myself, that lady and that gentlemen should pay for your cigarettes?’ and he responded ‘yes,’ ” Whiton said.

The next day Whiton said the customer’s foster mother came to the store to complain. Whiton received a call later that day from the company’s home office in Maine, telling her it had received a complaint about her and reprimanded her.

“I said I would bow out gracefully and give my notice because I didn’t want to be a part of it. I’m 65 years old, you know?” Whiton said.

Charles E. Wilkins, the general manager of the C.N. Brown Co. that runs the stores, said the EBT cards in the cash phase could be used for any items, including alcohol, tobacco and gambling. Wilkins said the company gave Whiton the option of staying but she said she would not accept the cards anymore.

“She didn’t think it was right and just wasn’t going to sell to people in that program anymore,” Wilkins said.

Whiton said when she came to work the next day, her manager asked her how much notice she was giving. When she responded “a week,” she was told the home office had just called and fired her. Wilkins said she would have had to accept the cards within that week. Whiton said she was not looking for another job. Whiton said she does not object to using the programs for food assistance, but does not think a person should be able to use public funds to buy cigarettes.

“They can’t even buy toilet paper with the EBT grocery cards but they can buy beer and cigarettes with the EBT cash cards,” Whiton said, “Go figure.”

Article source here- http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/...cle_87627ed5-5d4e-5ff0-a781-f14deb034771.html

~

What are your thoughts on this? Did the clerk deserve it? Should she be given a medal? :p

My personal opinion on this is as follows...

It was legal for the customer to use those benefits to purchase cigarettes. I do not agree that it should be legal, but that doesn't mean I have the right to decide in the moment based on my own morality what other people can or can't do with money they have qualified to receive from the government, that the government has stated they can spend on whatever they wish.

You can also use food and cash benefits cards to buy junk food and soda. I don't really see much of a difference and I bet the clerk would have handed over the Coke and Milk Duds without so much as a second thought.

Unrelated but somewhat similar circumstances, I had a pregnant acquaintance of mine recently go into a Starbucks and order a coffee, not decaf. The barista refused to give her anything but decaf. She complained to the manager and now that barista is fired.

Bottom line, it is not an employees place to make sales decisions on the companies behalf based on how they personally feel about things.

So, yes I think the clerk absolutely deserved to get fired. I'm surprised they even gave her an option to stay after pulling that kind of crap. When she is in charge of her own convenience store then she can make the call as to whether she will refuse business and lose revenue based on personal moral bias. Until then, she doesn't get to make that call. Sounds like a shitty employee, I would have fired her on the spot.

The next day Whiton said the customer’s foster mother came to the store to complain.

Wait a minute. Foster Mother?
This makes me think he wasn't old enough to buy them in the first place.
That, or he is one of those adult males that sends Mommy to fight his battles.

Last edited:
Wait a minute. Foster Mother?
This makes me think he wasn't old enough to buy them in the first place.
That, or he is one of those adult males that sends Mommy to fight his battles.

I have no idea, but since the age of the person buying the cigarettes wasn't mentioned in the article, I figured it probably wasn't relevant to the story.

I don't support her declining the sales. If the customer card an EBT cash balance she had no right to deny a customer. I would have fired her for shaming a customer like that, on the spot. You don't shame a customer like that. For whatever the reason.

As for EBT. I buy beer with my SSI money. I also pay rent on time, and my bills on time. I have no problem buying whatever you feel you need. I also receive food stamps I buy food with it....

I think its immature as fuck for someone judge how they spend their money. I don't go to a store where I've purchased something, only dictate how an an employ is spending their checks. Because guess what when I fund a business I'm paying their pack check.

I also support allowing people on assistance buying alcohol, cigarettes or junk food. If you don't want people to buy those things then outlaw them for everyone. You can buy these things and still be reasonable and good with your money. Again I've never ever been late with rent, have no debt, and pay bills on time. So to say that people on assistance are less of a person or less capable is insulting. There is a reason some people have a payee , especially if they have trouble with money.

this entire issue pisses me off. And I would have fired her for being a bitch. She shamed a customer and didn't do her job.

Last edited:
Reactions: z523x4gr98j
She made her decision. Just like the dude on government assistance decides to blow it on cigs, just like a pregnant woman decides to drink caffeine. They all accept the consequences.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Odyne
EBT food benefits do not allow the purchase of cigarettes or alcohol, but an EBT card that also provides cash benefits, does. You can buy whatever you want with that money. I believe that is what this article was referring to.

EBT food benefits do not allow the purchase of cigarettes or alcohol, but an EBT card that also provides cash benefits, does. You can buy whatever you want with that money. I believe that is what this article was referring to.

Yup its like getting SSI money only SSI goes into your bank account not on too a different card. She wouldn't have known if he had SSI based benefits and handed her a debt card.

I do agree it was wrong of her to do what she did.
Are the food EBT cards set up in such a way that if trying to buy cigarettes or alcohol with them, the transaction is refused when the card is swiped?

I do agree it was wrong of her to do what she did.
Are the food EBT cards set up in such a way that if trying to buy cigarettes or alcohol with them, the transaction is refused when the card is swiped?

Yes EBT cards tend to have two options on the card reader, cash or food. If you don't have any cash the transaction will be declined on none food items.

She wasn't fired she left the store of her accord. This story is more of a "Old lady pitches fit and quits job." Then a "Lady loses job for what she believes"

Read the story again she was fired when she refused to cooperate for the last week before she quit.

Read the story again she was fired when she refused to cooperate for the last week before she quit.

The point I'm trying to make is that she had the opportunity to stay, it seemed like they even wanted to keep her. Her getting fired is entirely on her.

Edit: on another note, at least she's consistent, She really believes that the system is being abused and refuses take part in it. That's an admirable thing.

She wasn't fired she left the store of her accord. This story is more of a "Old lady pitches fit and quits job." Then a "Lady loses job for what she believes"

Yeah well according to the article what ACTUALLY happened is different than that. She said she was going to quit, but the company fired her before she could do that.

"Whiton said when she came to work the next day, her manager asked her how much notice she was giving. When she responded “a week,” she was told the home office had just called and fired her. "

Also, had that not happened, this reeks of what would have very likely been one of those "you will either quit now to save face, or we will fire you" situations. Which to be honest, in the end, is basically just getting fired.

This kid didnt pass his ID over to the cashier, so he must not have been old enough to smoke anyways.

She has a good point.

You've got to live with your principles sometimes.

Our world makes that difficult.

:m123:

Well it's messed up that you can actually buy smokes with EBT.. I did not know that.
I thought it was only for food items.
But it bothers me more that she judged him like that.

If she feels that way, she needs to get out there and rally people to ask for legislation banning that,
not nit pick one customer at a time..
But then again maybe the publicity from this will get people to do something, as I didn't even know it was legal to make those purchases.
Bah. I still am annoyed by her.

I completely agree that there is something that seems really off about being able to buy booze and cigarettes with government allotted money. BUT then again... there are a lot of frivolous things people buy on a day to day basis. Some people are addicted to junk food, some people are addicted to cigarettes. Both can kill you if you have too much of them for too long. Where do you draw the line as to what people should or should not be allowed to use that money for?

One thing I feel pretty much certain of is that the government as a whole absolutely does not care where someone spends that money, only that they spend it. Cigarettes and alcohol are heavily taxed, so if someone spends their government money on that, a large majority of that money is going right back into the governments pocket. Why wouldn't they want that? If what you spend it on makes you sick, that is even more money you will end up having to put into the system.

It's economic stimulation either way, why would they care if someone spends it on cigarettes or organic vegetables?

Personal rant aside, I agree that what would be better to do in a situation like this is to write your congressman and complain, rally for a change. Pushing your values on customers who are within their legal rights isn't changing anything.

@acd I get EBT assistance but it is for food items only. Food item only EBT you are not allowed to purchase any non-food items, cigarettes, liquor, toilet paper, diapers, you name it. Where as cash EBT can be used like a debit card to purchase anything.

Reactions: acd
Yeah well according to the article what ACTUALLY happened is different than that. She said she was going to quit, but the company fired her before she could do that.

"Whiton said when she came to work the next day, her manager asked her how much notice she was giving. When she responded “a week,” she was told the home office had just called and fired her. "

Also, had that not happened, this reeks of what would have very likely been one of those "you will either quit now to save face, or we will fire you" situations. Which to be honest, in the end, is basically just getting fired.

I'd buy the save face kind of thing if this was a larger company that actually had to worry about a it's image. But it's a gas station they don't need to worry about the clerk ruining there image because likely don't have much of one in the first place and clerks can be replaced with in the blink of an eye so if she's causing trouble it doesn't make sense to keep her. the fact that they gave her the option to stay at all seems like they were trying to sort things out properly.

Were probably not getting the whole story on this one anyway, I'm sure both the manager and Ms. Whiton are both sincere we just don't know what the gas stations corporate branch was thinking.

Personally I don't think anyone is in the wrong here, the lady is within her rights to be upset. The company can't have an employee that's refusing to work so they fire her.

I find it odd that this article getting attention now that I think about it.