Caricatures of Muhammad | INFJ Forum

Caricatures of Muhammad

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Krumplenump, Mar 13, 2010.

Share This Page

?
  1. They had every right to and the reaction from elements in the Muslim world were unjustified

48.5%
  2. They had every right to but the reaction from elements in the Muslim world were justified

27.3%
  3. They should not have published them because they were offensive

12.1%
  4. They should not have published them because a violent reaction was an obvious outcome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm indifferent

12.1%
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by Krumplenump
  1. Krumplenump

Krumplenump Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    Half a decade old, but it's still a very inflammatory topic in some places.

What are your opinions on the caricatures being published in the first place, the response from areas in the Muslim world and the response to Muslim reactions from various western sources be it apologetic or defensive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. enfp can be shy

enfp can be shy people vs the bad people?
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    enfp
    Enneagram:
    -
    They should be flattered, people used to not care enough to do that. There are caricatures of Jesus, of Buddha, of practically anybody influential enough to deserve ridicule. All such cult systems are based on worshiping a hero, so all heroes must be denounced, eventually, in order for people to finally realize we don't need heroes anymore. It will take some time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    Krumplenump

Krumplenump Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    eftagawrg
    The point you make about the caricatures of other religious figures is bang on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8565610.stm

4. NeverAmI

NeverAmI Satisclassifaction
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    In Islam, I thought the whole point of not having pictures or statues of Muhammad was to take the worship away from him, because only God deserves the praise/worship/idolism.

If that is the case, then it seems as though some people are confusing the idea in Islam. Especially considering how common the name Muhammad is.

5. Jasmine85

Jasmine85 Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INxx
    If some group of people want to hate, then they'll see insults in all sorts of things. Whatever it takes to fuel their fire.

6. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    From what i have heard muslims arent supposed to depict anyone artisiticly and that is why they use architecture as their creative outlet.

7. muir

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I think the elephant in the room is immigration

How do you harmonise areas which have people of different cultures/belief systems?

Hostility towards immigrants....will it help integrate them or will it make them angry and more isolated?

8. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I dont think you can harmonize cultures without creating a new culture that both groups will have to settle on.

9. Solongo

Solongo Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ all day
    Its common in Muslim art to not depict humans at all and focus on the divine. This is a time issue as Muslim religion has very little tolerance for modernism.

10. Norton

Norton XXXX

Threads:
    MBTI:
    XXXX
    Enneagram:
    XXXX
    A free society demands free speech. If a culture, country, society doesn't like it, tough.

11. muir

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I'm not sure islam is any less able to adapt to modernity than any other religion

I think it depends on how literal people want to get with their chosen 'message'

Perhaps instead of saying this is the literal word of god from the mouth of such and such prophet, perhaps people need to look at the spirit in which the prophet intended their message

For example, Mohammed was creating a message which fitted with his time. This was centuries ago and as we can all plainly see, things change

Islam has messages of peace and tolerance within it just as christianity has. This seems to be the spirit in which many prophets, as enlightened people, intend their message to be.

If people focus too much on taking things at face value (literal fundamentalism) then you are going to have all sorts of problems. If people look at the example set by a prophet and the spirit in which they intended their message then i think there can be some very useful insights and perhaps some valid ideas about how we should live our lives

There are fundamentalist christians just as there are fundalmentalist muslims and there are christians who live their life in a spirit of peace and tolerance, just as there are muslims who do the same.

12. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    The artist had the right to draw this cartoon, and the muslims have the right to be upset. Seriously what did cartoonist expect to happen, for the muslims to send him cards saying this is a realy great picture.

#12 Barnabas, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
    testing likes this.
  13. muir

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I agree that free speech is important in a free society

I would argue our society is perhaps not as free as we would like to think it is, but that would be going off on a tangent

I wonder though, in a pragmatic way, whether going on the offensive against Islam is the best way of dealing with the cultural contrasts (as well as all the political baggage due to the conflict over oil and over palestine)

Perhaps it is tough love, or perhaps it will encourage more division and violence

#13 muir, Mar 13, 2010
  14. Stu

Stu Constipated
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    I did not vote

They had every right to and the non violent reactions were justified.

15. NeverAmI

Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    My understanding is that there is no doubt to the orthodox Muslim that the Quran is the word of god, the only true word of god, and there will never be another prophet to provide further clarification.

As for the literal interpretation of the words, that is largely contested by scholars.

Geometry shows a heavy influence in arabesque architecture. As to the true origins of the various architectural types, a lot comes from influence of other areas, the Middle-East was quite the melting pot of cultures in the past. I believe a lot of influence came from times prior to the founding of Islam as well although I agree that it probably hit a nice climax during that time.

Goths also had a heavy architectural style due to limited expression from religion as well.

16. NeverAmI

Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
  17. muir

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    It might seem set in stone that muslims must believe that the koran is the literal word of god, but i think all things are eroded with time

I'm not sure how much religion has influenced architecture, that is an interesting topic in itself. It has certainly been a patron of architecture

The inability of muslims to depict living things lead to a lot of abstract decorations of their buildings.

Islam adopted arch building from earlier sources and from Islam it went into Europe and the Romanesque style. There has been a lot of cross pollination between christianity and islam and it is possible the way muslims pray is in fact taken from early christianity.

Maybe the two are not so different at heart

18. Barnabas

Barnabas Time Lord

Threads:
    MBTI:
    wiblywobly
    Enneagram:
    timeywimey
    interesting thing, not sure if it's related or not but, the Kor'an isn't supposed to be translated out of it's original language. It was mentioned to me that it would lose some of it's meaning if it was.

The Bible is similar, though you don't lose to much of it's meaning you lose some of it's poetry and how the writters played on words.

also muir, there both Abrahamic religions so there bound to share some views and culture.

#18 Barnabas, Mar 13, 2010
  19. NeverAmI

Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Sharia law does a pretty damn good job of ensuring the nations don't stray too far from their heritage. However, Sharia is not based solely on the Quran.

Sharia law scares the shit out of me. Amputation, stoning, flogging, beheading, etc.

Of course, it all depends on the country's implementation.

5:38 As to the thief, Male or female, cut off his or her hands: a punishment by way of example, from Allah, for their crime: and Allah is Exalted in power.

Waalssariqu waalssariqatufaiqtaAAoo aydiyahuma jazaan bimakasaba nakalan mina Allahi waAllahuAAazeezun hakeemun
    [​IMG]

5:39 But if the thief repents after his crime, and amends his conduct, Allah turneth to him in forgiveness; for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

Faman taba min baAAdi thulmihiwaaslaha fa-inna Allaha yatoobu AAalayhiinna Allaha ghafoorun raheemun

[​IMG]

#19 NeverAmI, Mar 13, 2010
  20. bs98r3kjf

bs98r3kjf Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    none
    Enneagram:
    none

Agreed.