Caricatures of Muhammad | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Caricatures of Muhammad

In regards to Jyllands-Posten publishing caricatures of Muhammad, I think that:

• They should not have published them because a violent reaction was an obvious outcome

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I see there is some hate towards Muslims around... I'm Muslim, just saying.

In what way does a caricature of Muhammad in any way logically imply hatred for Muslims? We're talking about free speech in this thread. This logically unsupported jump from caricature to "hatred" is a non-sequitur. It seems that you don't understand how critical free speech is to a free society. On the other hand, many muslim nations, if not theocracies themselves, are still not very democratic. This may explain why at least a large number of muslims do not seem to appreciate the importance of free speech. "I may hate what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it."

Now as far as the caricatures are concerned, my opinion of the matter is that "Your freedom stops where other people's freedom starts".

The caricaturists' freedom of expression has clashed with the Muslims' freedom of belief. Plus, the Prophet, Muhammad (SAW) is looked up to and those depictions just seemed to "show the world how blah Muslims are" on top of attacking the persona... I let you do the math.

In short, there's a cultural bridge that the caricaturists awkwardly bum-rushed by unknowingly disrespecting a whole faith. I don't, however, condone the death threats and fatwas on the caricaturists (overboard). It'd have been a better way to actually show them what is offensive in their deed; that's all.

Summing it up: The caricaturists lacked understanding of faith, the Muslim reaction lacked understanding of the occidental world and values.
Hatred settles in logically, with far overboard reactions to be expected from either side - not to be condoned. Instead, some understanding would have solved (or even prevented) that.
To focus on your summing up.
Like I confront Christianity with, what 'kind' of Islam did the caricaturists lack understanding in? You will no doubt profess that Islam is a faith of peace despite there being plenty of evidence to suggest the opposite. JUST like Christianity, Islam for individuals is defined on a personal basis, so whilst you may justify your condemning of the caricatures as inappropriate because you flaunt the peaceful 'side' of Islam, it does not in any way render the religion as a whole - or figures like Muhammad - unassaible or deserving of immunity from jest and humour. To assume that is to assume superiority which sureeely peaceful, tolerant Islam does not preach.

You aren't the only muslim on these forums. I think there is generally a lot of ignorance of the Islamic religion and culture. However, many people that you find critical of Islam are equally critical of other religions as well.

Understandably so.

I only have a problem with the tendency of radical religious types to condemn non believers to death. The recent slaying of a medical doctor here in the US for providing legal abortions to women whose pregnancies became life threatening is an example.

In what way does a caricature of Muhammad in any way logically imply hatred for Muslims? We're talking about free speech in this thread. This logically unsupported jump from caricature to "hatred" is a non-sequitur. It seems that you don't understand how critical free speech is to a free society. On the other hand, many muslim nations, if not theocracies themselves, are still not very democratic. This may explain why at least a large number of muslims do not seem to appreciate the importance of free speech. "I may hate what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it."

Hatred usually implies direct, contradicting opposition.

It could be that the principle of free speech is directly opposed to a fundamental aspect of Islam, in many muslim's minds.

If such is the case, anyone openly presenting anything which Islam does not permit (not simply to muslims themselves, but absolutely to anyone) will be considered an enemy in the minds of such muslims.

Ugyah~

About the theft thing, there are some cases when the sentence isn't applied, such as a poor man/woman stealing food for their survival or their brethren's survival when they cannot afford it in a legal way (syn.: buy it). Do consider that the theft implied here is burglar-type or worse. Oh ya, and children don't have that sanction either.

As for the caricature, I'm conscious that the satyrical message they wanted to convey was that suicide bombing, polygamy, etc. might be a Muslim's norm... Ahem ahem (Suicide bombing is actually Forbidden as it is equivalent to Suicide - Polygamy has a huuuuuge condition to it that I'm sure I will never ever fulfill in my life, neither would any ordinary person).

As Christians often say, it's important to know the context of when and where that was written/drawn.

But as for hatred of Islam goes on this forum? Those who hate it generally hate it for it's attempts to take over secular life and impose upon nonbelievers, or when on believers, against secular law.

Same reason Christianity is hated.

Not for the religion itself.

As Christians often say, it's important to know the context of when and where that was written/drawn.

But as for hatred of Islam goes on this forum? Those who hate it generally hate it for it's attempts to take over secular life and impose upon nonbelievers, or when on believers, against secular law.

Same reason Christianity is hated.

Not for the religion itself.

Exactly