Careers and career interests | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Careers and career interests

Re: career

I have had several careers. I was a mother at home for years. I loved that. I owned a genealogy bookstore (hated that - I'm not retail material). My bookstore was beautiful and people stole from me a lot. I have done medical transcription (for an oncology unit, and for a lock-down part of the local psych hospital). Listening to doctors pee while they recorded, or eat raisins while they recorded made me urp. I transcribed for private investigators for Worker's Comp. - an independent investigative agency, and for a defense attorney. The private investigator transcription was interesting and then horrifying. I have worked in accounting for a computer company. Now I am going back to school for my Master's and then my PHd, in trauma psychology. which is not quite a field yet. Can you tell I have lived on the earth for a while? ;)

I'm really going to go lie down now, really.

Holy crap, you’ve tried a few different things! ^ ^

GenlDevora said:
How about working for a cruise line?
Open to all and any suggestions but I fear I would get sea sick [actually that reminded me of a fear I keep forgetting to admit to, must revisit that thread] I don’t like being too far off land in the ocean. My other dilemma is I like earning a good wage I find that a difficult thing to mix with the hospitality/travel industry :(

Lurker said:
Holy crap, you’ve tried a few different things! ^ ^

GenlDevora said:
How about working for a cruise line?
Open to all and any suggestions but I fear I would get sea sick [actually that reminded me of a fear I keep forgetting to admit to, must revisit that thread] I don’t like being too far off land in the ocean. My other dilemma is I like earning a good wage I find that a difficult thing to mix with the hospitality/travel industry :(

Well, you could always do travel nursing! Get that degree, make the big bucks . . . pay is awesome. 42 american dollars an hour is nothing to gripe about . . . !

(no, I don't do it. Can't stand being resettled all the time, even if housing is free)

Kwistalline said:
Well, you could always do travel nursing! Get that degree, make the big bucks . . . pay is awesome. 42 american dollars an hour is nothing to gripe about . . . !

(no, I don't do it. Can't stand being resettled all the time, even if housing is free)
I have nothing but the upmost respect for what you do Kwissy, it’s something that I couldn’t. Biology is one subject that makes my eyes glaze over and dealing with sick people all the time, it would do my head in, I feel the same way about social work. I'm in awe of those who do it and do it well but I prefer the cold, emotionless corporate industry - well that's not really true but I *sigh* only seem to get satisfaction out of helping those who want help, will do something about it and can be helped or if it fits in with improving a bigger picture, however selfish that sounds (yup, we all know I'm not an INF :D ).

Love the concept of it though.

Hi everyone! I am so happy to have found this forum. I have tested myself several times and I am definitely an INFJ. Everything in the description fits me to a T. It's crazy.

I am a 24 year old female and I am currently a hairdresser. I received my cosmetology license shortly after graduating high school because I had enough credit to graduate earlier so I did the co-op thing my senior year of HS and went to cosmetology school half of the day. I absolutely hated it from day one and wanted to quit, but my parents wouldn't let me. So I have been stuck in the field this long while trying to put myself through college and it has not been easy.

Like a lot of INFJs, I consider my career to sort of define me in a sense. I've gone through a lot of emotional torment because I don't feel "hairdresser" is who I am and I don't really want people knowing me as one...not that it's the worst career in the world, but it's just not me. I don't like being around people constantly and having to cater to them. Some of my coworkers are very loud and chatty...I hate when they get loud and carry on. I like my work environment to be quiet and professional...and sometimes they really get out of hand.

I've done a lot of soul searching trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. For a long time I wanted to be a speech-language pathologist (speech therapist), but after a lot of research I don't feel as drawn to that field anymore. I think I want to be a junior high/secondary English teacher or an editor..most likely get an English & Secondary Education degree so I can have the option of doing either one. I have a LOVE of words..

Welcome, Vivi!! The career in lit sounds like a good choice. I wish I had focused more on psychology or literature. Somehow I got into nursing (still don't get that one). I have a feeling those two feilds are where INFJ's shine the most.

Never thought of Jackie K as an INFJ. Interesting idea!

Thank you! So do you like being a nurse? I have 2 aunts that are nurses. One of my aunts was a hairdresser and then became a nurse (which seems to be a common thing). I considered it for a while. I even know a lot of girls I went to cosmetology school with that became nurses. But I don't think I could do it when I really sit and think about it. I respect your profession so much, but I think some of the job duties are just things I couldn't do. I don't do well sometimes with the things I run across as a hairdresser (moles on peoples' scalps, every once in a while bad hygiene, etc)...I know I had a hard time giving pedicures to 70 year old women in beauty school!!

Nursing is in such demand, so I did seriously consider it for a while...(sigh)

I don't want to just major in English because I'd fear I wouldn't get a job. It will definitey be a dual major that includes secondary education...I have to know that there is some security behind the major.

Most times I enjoy nursing, but I can's really say I love it.It's hard on me emotionally, especially since I'm now more in critical care. I may go back to med-surg for the sanity and patient interaction. Now I get more time watching cardiac monitors, titrating meds/non pt interaction activities. It's not my ideal. That, and critical care nurses tend to be EST's. I'm getting run over a lot.

You know, you could always be a journalist. One of my regrets is that I never applied for newspaper in College. Some silly lack of confidence thing, even though my english teacher thought I had a little something more.

I too considered nursing for a while..but I just don't know If the demanding side of it will suite me I am SOOO laid back and I hate stressful jobs! (LOVE deadlines HATE stress!) I have been thinking about getting my degree in graphic design because I already dabble A LOT and would love to do it as a career!

Kwistalline, have you ever worked in the NICU? If I were a nurse, I'd want to work in the NICU or in womens' health/obgyn. Sometimes I still think about pursuing this in the back of my mind, but then I think of all the things you have to go through in nursing school and I just don't think I could do it. I've heard some nasty stories.

I don't think I want to go the journalist route, but thanks for the suggestion. It's really cut throat and competitive...and they don't make much money unless they reach the top of the ladder and for that, you'd have to live in a big city like New York, etc. I'm not even completely sure about the English major because it's so generalized...I want to major in something that I know I will come out with a job in and that I will love and be happy with. Ughh. It's so hard.

Never worked the NICU. I'll be honest with you . . . babies, at least caring for them as a nurse, SCARE me. It's one thing to give critical care drugs to an adult. It's quite another with a baby. You screw up the dose on an adult, there are things that can be done if it's caught early enough. I've never had problems here, but if I did, I'd rather screw up on an adult than on a child/baby. It's literally a matter of life and death for them with such a smaller body mass. One decimal point over . . . (shivers).

Do you like History? Or you could just get a job in teaching. I realize they don't always pay that great, but I think people, if at all possible, should be happy in their jobs. For me, if that meant a cut in pay, I'd do it. I'm sticking with the unit I'm on b/c all the nurses there keep telling me everyone has to adjust, and I'll get used to it in time.

Forgive my newbiness. Greetings and all that.

Me: I don't really like careers that service others. No real good experiences to be had there for me. I work in IT. (trying to get a career there anyways). I also enjoy arts. Presently, I work in a small office. The manager I have can't manage to open a peanut much less manage 3 to 4 others. Ironically, right now, my job entails sifting through the behavior of others and kicking them out of a system or giving them a thumbs up. ultimately, I'd like to couple art and IT all in one. THAT.. that right there is my true goal. And just thinking about it makes me smile.

I didn't find any threads about this. I am interested to find out whether there are similarities in careers for infjs.

If you are currently employed, what is your current career/job?

If you are studying, what do you hope to do when you begin working?

If you are working and don't like your job, what are you doing and what would you rather be doing?

CHEMISTRY!!!!!! I loooooooooooooooooove chemistry! I'm currentlly studying it in college, and love every minute of it. (mostly focusing on organic chemistry)

When I graduate, my ideal situation would be to become a college professer. I want to be able to do research, and be able to teach at the same time. I really enjoy research because you solving problems that have never been solved before. And I just love teaching so much. I just enjoy helping people in general.

Student. I do part time work as a ticket writer when I can.

Either Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Worker or Public Health Social Worker.

If you are working and don't like your job, what are you doing and what would you rather be doing?

I love being a student. I also love my practicum and actually getting to work in the community.

CHEMISTRY!!!!!! I loooooooooooooooooove chemistry! I'm currentlly studying it in college, and love every minute of it. (mostly focusing on organic chemistry)

I'm jealous. Chemistry was my weakest subject. I think I got a C+ in Chem 111. Although from the descriptions, it sounds like INFJ scientists can rival their INTJ and ISTJ counterparts.

Last edited:

Student. I do part time work as a ticket writer when I can.

Either Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Worker or Public Health Social Worker.

I love being a student. I also love my practicum and actually getting to work in the community.

I'm jealous. Chemistry was my weakest subject. I think I got a C+ in Chem 111. Although from the descriptions, it sounds like INFJ scientists can rival their INTJ and ISTJ counterparts.

I like to think that I do. Lord know's they hate me though! haha.

Chemistry just makes sense to me, I don't know how else to put it. I find it highly intuitive. And it is relaxing to me. And it facenates me to no end because it's pretty much everything.

I didn't find any threads about this. I am interested to find out whether there are similarities in careers for infjs.

*merged with older career thread*

Seems like social work/caring is a reoccurring theme so far.

*merged with older career thread*

Seems like social work/caring is a reoccurring theme so far.

Thanks Lurker. It hadn't come up when I searched careers..

I just completed nursing and an arts degree... I'm already thinking of a career change. Maybe something related to writing, editing, arts, or maybe something more people focused - maybe something psychology related but sometimes I still question my people skills (yeah even though I am in nursing, albeit public health).

Thanks Lurker. It hadn't come up when I searched careers..

I just completed nursing and an arts degree... I'm already thinking of a career change. Maybe something related to writing, editing, arts, or maybe something more people focused - maybe something psychology related but sometimes I still question my people skills (yeah even though I am in nursing, albeit public health).

I'll advocate social work. It definitely requires a lot of psychology knowledge. It does require people skills, but those can be developed. I certainly don't have great people skills, but the profession is mostly about personality.

I don't mind being a tornado chaser.My dad would get a heart attack.If i should ever do that job, i would do it secretly sneaky.:m094: