Careers and career interests | INFJ Forum

Careers and career interests

Kwistalline

Permanent Fixture
May 16, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
As you all know, I'm a nurse. It's such a huge part of my life, I can't seem to not tell people, out of pride/stress!

What do the rest of you do? I know what MBTI says about our "ideal" careers, and where we are most often found, but I've been wondering how this community plays into the MBTI big picture.

Re: career

I am a career Administrative Professional. I am currently unemployed, but I usually work as an Office Manager or an Executive Assistant.

I had my son at a young age, and chose raising him in lieu of college. I know that women and men have done both sucessfully, but I was selfish and I did not want to miss one minute more than necessary with my son.

I would really have liked to have been in library sciences or something of the sort (for the organizational aspects of it and the research posibilities, NOT the quiet, lol!) or really, really cool would have been a fighter pilot in the Navy!

I think the recommendations are big generalisations that try to cover as many people of that type as possible. As an INTJ I’m supposedly suited to careers involving Science or Maths, that is sooo not me. I ignore it and concentrate on finding what I'm passionate about.

Currently I work in finance/management (with the use of a calculator).

I'm looking for a way I can use my skills in a position that involves travel.

I was Corrections Officer/Youth Worker and I was working towards my social work degree. I couldn't reconcile the difference between my experience in the penal system and what I was learning in school, so I promptly quit. I started realizing that I made little or no difference in the human services field. I took electronics and started working in the telecom field and realized I needed more human interaction. So I started my own company with a few friends and decided to become wealthy as I thought I could do more for the people I love and the charities that I believe in as a wealthy person.

Aquinas said:
I was Corrections Officer/Youth Worker and I was working towards my social work degree. I couldn't reconcile the difference between my experience in the penal system and what I was learning in school, so I promptly quit. I started realizing that I made little or no difference in the human services field. I took electronics and started working in the telecom field and realized I needed more human interaction. So I started my own company with a few friends and decided to become wealthy as I thought I could do more for the people I love and the charities that I believe in as a wealthy person.

As someone who is interesting in becoming a social worker, I will have to get you to share some of your experience sometime.

Ask away.

Aquinas said:
Ask away.

i dunno if this is the appropriate place, so I will create a thread for it tomorrow.

KK sounds good.

I have always gotten professional energy from careers involving service, too....I'm currently in something of a second career.

I spent over 20 years in broadcasting...short-form documantaries was my specialization. I had always been in the arts...I just vented everything into that particular medium. The stories I worked on and the people I met (all over the world) provided some very, very rich experiences and, in the course of story development, demanded much time contemplating and interpreting the various circumstances I encountered. The group I was with was involved in some major historical twists and turns from the late 80s/90s, and that was fascinating.

However, the company slowly folded up in the mid 90s and rather then move to one of the coasts, I switched careers. It went something like this: I had always felt an observer of stories, but I came across a chance to actually be "in" a significant story, so I took a position w/ the U.S. EPA. I thought I was leaving TV but I wasn't so lucky. Now I hire various producers to work on a different kinds of projects and (a wonderful surprise) got to go back to my roots in graphic design. Along with EPA pieces, we frequently assist local/state government and tribes to work on items they feel are important. The interesting thing is that all the organizational and communications design skills I used in TV totally apply here, and the up-close community interaction I enjoyed in producing is still very much a part of what I do not. It is very complex work given the community, technical, political, legal factors, but I really enjoy that, too. I love having something to offer that brings about solutions in the midst of an issue with a huge overall story arc. I don't miss 20 years of weekly broadcast deadlines, either. It's a nice gig for an old guy.

Satya said:
Aquinas said:
Ask away.

i dunno if this is the appropriate place, so I will create a thread for it tomorrow.

Yes, please do! I'd like to join in, too, because I want to go back to school for a master's in social work.

Right now I'm at a pharmaceutical company, doing lots of clinical-trial-monitoring paperwork. This is not completely unrelated to my future career plans, because I'm in the psychiatric department and quite a few social workers work on the studies.

I'm planning on being a doctor. Dunno which field yet though. Not really good with people so I'll probably go into research. Lots Mownay :p

sriv said:
I'm planning on being a doctor. Dunno which field yet though. Not really good with people so I'll probably go into research. Lots Mownay :p

You'll still have to do internship, honey! That is, if you aren't talking about a mere Phd (you sound like you mean a doctor of medicine vs doctor of theology/psychology/etc)

Tips: if you plan on surviving internship, 1) suck up to the nurses, 2) write legibly 3) smile at the patients . . . a lot. Even if your bedside manner sucks, little things like smiling and briefly touching a hand or shoulder help the patients warm up.

In otherwords, you'll make it easier on yourself.

Kwistalline said:
sriv said:

You'll still have to do internship, honey! That is, if you aren't talking about a mere Phd (you sound like you mean a doctor of medicine vs doctor of theology/psychology/etc)

Tips: if you plan on surviving internship, 1) suck up to the nurses, 2) write legibly 3) smile at the patients . . . a lot. Even if your bedside manner sucks, little things like smiling and briefly touching a hand or shoulder help the patients warm up.

In otherwords, you'll make it easier on yourself.
Yeah, doctor of medicine more likely. I think you mean residency, not internship. I am well aware that my bedside manners need a lot of work. A LOT OF WORK. Too much work for me to bother with, so that's why I want to go into research. So I can make relatively tight friendships with a few peers and not just shallow, artificial gestures to a lot of stangers.
Thanks for the tips. :D

Right now i do medical data entry and hate every mundane and pointless minute of it...I have a few ideas of what i would love to do something either in Art, Nursing or Speech therapy...but since were still paying for DH's schooling im sure I wont be able to attend classes for a while :(

Career Politician. I'll probably end up as both an author and a politician.

electrical, telecommunications, network maintanence and management... i work in a technical filed... and i love it..

Im going for a career in animation. But i dont want to limit myself to that only, i really want to do all kinds of stuff. :\
From political satire drawings, writing fiction or scripts, comics, painting, movies.. everything that i find fun and interesting. Ill prob just wait and see where life takes me.

ShaiGar said:
Career Politician. I'll probably end up as both an author and a politician.
Im looking forward to the first zombie novel... written by a politician. :D

How is that script going on btw? Just another project of yours that you are not able to finish? ;)

Yeah, I'm actually looking into getting a career in art too, when I'm older. I've got big dreams of opening a studio with my sister and best friend and bringing back 2D animation, but we're going to start with comics :)
If I wasn't going to do that, though, I'd be interested in sociology or psychology, preferably in a research or counseling position

Lurker said:
I think the recommendations are big generalisations that try to cover as many people of that type as possible. As an INTJ I’m supposedly suited to careers involving Science or Maths, that is sooo not me. I ignore it and concentrate on finding what I'm passionate about.

Currently I work in finance/management (with the use of a calculator).

I'm looking for a way I can use my skills in a position that involves travel.

How about working for a cruise line?