Can you change your type? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Can you change your type?

Scientia said:
I have stopped trying to change my type. I am less expressive, however, with what I feel. I am making a conscious effort to not be as open or expressive, even with friends.

I think my strategy is just to go with friends where this doesn't become an issue; they're rare, and I live hermit-like, but I have long distance friends at least where I totally trust them.

I usually resent the idea of having to hold back, so I ensure I always have a few of these around; I guess logical analysis is how I try to arrive at the fact that they truly are harmless/understand me

Reactions: Scientia
I have stopped trying to change my type. I am less expressive, however, with what I feel. I am making a conscious effort to not be as open or expressive, even with friends.

I will say this. It appears that the world is continuing to push toward a thinking mentality. To get ahead in this world seems to correlate with thinking, a lack of emotion, and a drive for profit at any cost. I feel this is the wrong thing for society and we all need to be pushing more toward compassion. You being less expressive in you feelings may be the right choice at times but much of the time you can't truly have compassion for those around you if you hold back what you know to be true inside.

I feel for your situation. I obviously only know your persona of an actress (not even sure if that is real or just an avatar) and what you have stated on this board (that I have seen). If in fact those are the circles you are running then I can appreciate what that means. I also have connections to that world, though slightly removed, yet I know what is being asked / demanded of that environment. I know you feel like you are being intruded upon to be and accomodate with certain people and that is not fair. I wish I could offer some kind of advise or solice to help with this conflict as it is directly opposed to who you are as a person / woman. I don't suspect this will get easier as time progresses. I know that saying NO can get you ostricised.

Be true to your self. Hide what you must when you must. If you have to give in to a moment that seems unfair, make sure it is for a reason that may (at the very least) be promoting you, or someone that you trust and is on your team. I know it's guerilla warfare out there and sometimes taking a little at a time can have big results in the long run.

Best wishes.

hush said:
just... honestly... I've known so many people who are "T" types, known them deeply It doesn't make anything easier. It doesn't weaken feelings.

Just adding on top of this:

- T is mostly independent of "Neuroticism" on the Big 5, and the latter is what is about negative emotion experienced/negative affect; a neurotic T would be, say, Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. Pretty "emotional", but one of the strongest dichotomies T's. The intensity with which one experiences negative affect relative to the stimulus is more related to Neuroticism than T-F by far

- there's of course also subtle differences between T-F in the MBTI dichotomies and T-F in a more Jungian framework -- the latter has more to do with the fact-value dichotomy often discussed in philosophy (similar to the mind-body one) , and my take (and honest guess as to what Jung's motivation was) is whether you take the philosophical position that there exists such a dichotomy or not, it does seem to exist psychologically at least, and the former has more to do with the tough-tender dichotomy. I'm probably more T in the latter sense than the former, and by no means unemotional (pretty high in neuroticism). It's possible to be tough-minded/value-focused and more tender temperamentally relatively and less value-focused.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scientia and Asa
Oh, also, openness with expressing affect relates plenty to the E/I continuum, though it's true all things totally equal, that's somewhat T-F-related too.
{here I'm just going with dichotomies, as affect isn't really covered in functions theories}

Reactions: Scientia and Asa
You are all going to laugh but I am really tired of being INFJ. I know people say you can't change your type and it doesn't really matter what you are but I strongly want to change my life and just about everything about how I express myself. Is it possible to do this out of sheer willpower? Have any of you tried?

I am quite close on the T/F . I don't want to express the feels so much and I think I might be able to control it.

I am going to try. I think I can do it.

MBTI has been creepy for many years.

Just tilt the other way.

800px_COLOURBOX2272121.jpg