Can you change your type? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Can you change your type?

If she feels I wronged her in anyway, whether true or false, I openly invite her to vent her frustrations with me. As I've heard others note, maybe I confronted her too strongly. I can accept that and am willing to apologize for it.

Lol. You didn't confront her too strongly.

Reactions: James and aeon

Reactions: James
@Anywhere But Here

I'm sorry if I caused you any distress. I believe your intentions were good and honest. It was my fault for quibbling over such small details and blowing it out of proportion. I sincerely apologize and hope that you can forgive me and would also understand if you are unwilling.

No distress at all. And that is correct. My intentions were good and honest. Some may not see it that way but they are getting caught up in how the words made them feel and ignoring the thought behind them. As Hush said, I am straightforward.

Don't worry about it.

Last edited:

If she feels I wronged her in anyway, whether true or false, I openly invite her to vent her frustrations with me. As I've heard others note, maybe I confronted her too strongly. I can accept that and am willing to apologize for it.
God no. I'm fine, lol. No worries!

im sending monkeys :m032::m045::m023: ya'll need vacations. :md:

I’m not sure if MBTI type can be changed, but sometimes the results change after periods of healing and/or growth.

For a long time I thought I was INFP, and the description seemed to fit very well indeed. What I came to realize, however, was that my score for Introversion was likely being influenced by my tendency to withdraw and isolate as a result of chronic trauma earlier in life.

As I began to heal, and grow, different aspects of my self began to emerge, and I began to wake up to parts of myself that I had forgotten.

And so my result changed, to ENFP...what I tested as years and years ago, before the consequences of my childhood really came home to roost.

So I’m not sure I changed type, but I certainly did change over time as a person, and previous to now I had no way to understand, much less separate, my post-traumatic sequelae from my sense of self. Now I do. :)

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:
I don't know what is going on in here with @Anywhere But Here but for the record, I did not encourage either of these of these men. my original question: is it possible to change your mbti? I think most of you said no.

@Anywhere But Here

I'm sorry if I caused you any distress. I believe your intentions were good and honest. I sincerely apologize and hope that you can forgive me and would also understand if you are unwilling.

Since this is the INFJ Forum, a land flowing with kittens and honey (the latter courtesy of @Pleiades), I propose a group hug

:grouphug:

This could get a lil sticky lol

No distress at all. And that is correct. My intentions were good and honest. Some may not see it that way but they are getting caught up in how the words made them feel and ignoring the thought behind them. As Hush said, I am straightforward.

Don't worry about it.
I’m not sure if MBTI type can be changed, but sometimes the results change after periods of healing and/or growth.

For a long time I thought INFP. What I came to realize, however, was that my score for Introversion was likely being influenced by my tendency to withdraw and isolate as a result of chronic trauma earlier in life. So I’m not sure I changed type, but I certainly did change over time as a person.
Ian

I can't believe it, I had almost completed a screenplay based on this thread, and now it has a 'happy' ending. The whole thing is ruined..
And no I don't think it was due to some one who sounds like a bandit for milk toast.. it's more likely to @hush. Now that I read back through things, I can see hush was the 'lex luthor' behind the whole episode. Hush was probably responsible for the "Lysol" spraying incident as well..

"Just when I thought I was out... they pulled me back in"

Last edited:
I can't believe it, I had almost completed a screenplay based on this thread, and now it has a 'happy' ending. The whole thing is ruined..
And no I don't think it was due to some one who sounds like a bandit for milk toast.. it's more likely to @hush. Now that I read back through things, I can see hush was the 'lex luthor' behind the whole episode. Hush was probably responsible for the "Lysol" spraying incident as well..

"Just when I thought I was out... they pulled me back in"

My fault? Lex Luthor, supervillain extraordinaire?? The Lysol??? Next you'll say I'm the one who spiked the Kool-Aid... and took at least 3 dozen cakes...

Just+because+lex+luthor+took+forty+cakes+that+doesn+t+mean+_d320c0b55b98c845814a3e8785d8dbc1.jpg

5501415+_9d63a62870506044b6de3b9c7c29f44b (1).jpg Now, I'm not saying if you said it, that it wouldn't be true...

Reactions: James
My fault? Lex Luthor, supervillain extraordinaire?? The Lysol??? Next you'll say I'm the one who spiked the Kool-Aid... and took at least 3 dozen cakes...

View attachment 29331

View attachment 29332 Now, I'm not saying if you said it, that it wouldn't be true...

Thank goodness for that, the screen play is saved... Lol. That was "The Usual Suspects" type ending I was looking for..

Cue film title credits, menacing classical music, and spilt popcorn crumbs...

Reactions: hush and Scientia
If you change your type, can you reverse the change if you change your mind?

Reactions: Scientia
If you change your type, can you reverse the change if you change your mind?

Yes. I changed my type to INFJ and all those emotions and feelings, ugh. I quickly changed back to INTJ.

Yes. I changed my type to INFJ and all those emotions and feelings, ugh. I quickly changed back to INTJ.

INTJs are the most emotional NT type.

INTJs are the most emotional NT type.

images

I believe we can change how we respond to certain situations, as in, it is possible to entertain a thought without accepting it or allowing it to control your emotions, to some extent. Psychologically, I can't imagine those fundamental emotions / innate intellectual responses changing prior to making a conscious decision to see or act differently based on the stimuli. Maybe this is a poor expression on my behalf, but does what I say make sense?

I've grown tremendously over my short 27 years both intentionally and by way of circumstance, but I don't think those innate psych processes will change, regardless of what I tell myself. I'm still feeling those emotions in response to extroverted stimulation just as I would if I was little. We simply grow, and learn how to handle or hide things better. I know the struggle though, I've wished things were different as well, but we just have to make the best of the hand that life has dealt us.

Not to repeat what may have already been said but one's type changes over time but trying to change your type deliberately can cause a lot of distress.

You are all going to laugh but I am really tired of being INFJ. I know people say you can't change your type and it doesn't really matter what you are but I strongly want to change my life and just about everything about how I express myself. Is it possible to do this out of sheer willpower? Have any of you tried?

I am quite close on the T/F . I don't want to express the feels so much and I think I might be able to control it.

I am going to try. I think I can do it.

Ive felt that being an INFJ is a blessing and a curse. It has great potential and can be hard on a person. I've also wanted to give it away at times. But the older you get, I think the less likely you are to change.

In my adolescence I was on the F side of the equation, in my 20s I moved into the T side, late twenties and on I was back on the F side. I don't think a person can will their self into another personality but I do believe environmental factors can change you if you are close in a dichotomy. In my early twenties I started a career in IT and was surrounded by thinkers. Already being close in the TF dichotomy I do believe I switched but I found that it made relationships much more difficult. In my late 20s and early 30s I had my daughters and there is nothing more powerful than little girls when it comes to getting emotions out of their dad (for me). Back to INFJ is where I went and have been fine with being who I am.

I personally believe that it is best to be who you are. Trying to be something else will get you hurt way worse than being what you currently are.

Reactions: Scientia and Wyote