Being confident of your type | INFJ Forum

Being confident of your type

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by arbygil, Dec 3, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 14 users.
More threads by arbygil
  1. arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I've adapted the link from this page: http://www.careerplanner.com/PT/Importance-Of-Accurate-Type.cfm but the information is both down to earth and relevant. If you're stuck, or feel as if you're "between types" see if this article can help encourage you.

2. Wyote

Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    2 & 3 are cause for most of the issues in general and also around here methinks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Milon

Milon Director of Glomps
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ!
    Enneagram:
    6w5 SO
    Good post, Arby! But I need a little help....

I've always had a problem with people saying this. I don't know how to NOT think too much (most of the time). Don't I need to think to have an answer? Frequently, I have to reread things a few times before I actually know what it says as I often misread things. Simply choosing something quickly would cause my tests to be inaccurate. Anyone have thoughts/advice for me on this one?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PastelpinkPuppy likes this.
  4. KazeCraven

KazeCraven Graduated from Typology : May 2011
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    Milon, that would depend on how much test taking you have done. I think once you have gotten somewhat familiar with the theory, you should shy away from test taking and go more by trying to see the different functions in yourself on a day-to-day basis or at least go by the descriptions.

I can't take MBTI tests anymore. Not only can I tell what each question is forcing me to choose between on each question, but also I can usually pick up pretty quickly what method the test makers are using to type participants. Usually people use the four dichotomy model, but some tests try doing it by cognitive processes too. In rare cases it is by Gestalt, i.e. the 16 types as a whole, but I'm pretty sure that ends up being just identifying with the types (which is basically reading the descriptions and deciding which fits). Once you get to that stage, test taking is silly.

5. OP
    arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Kaze is right - but also, if you know the answers (or you can predict the outcome) it's too easy to "know" what you're supposed to say. If we're truly honest with ourselves, we should answer the question with how we're most like, all of the time (not what we were like in one or two particular situations). I think we know ourselves, but we also have an inflated idea of who we want to be, and who we think we should be. It might not be nice, but when we really sit down and have a chat with our inner self, we'll know what the answers should be (even if we don't like them).

As to the overthink problem, it's hard to say. Personally, I think if it takes you longer than 3 seconds to answer the question, you've probably over thought it. First instincts are probably correct.

6. KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    I started to take a test to point out the problem with test taking:

My first instinct is to say "logical and analytical". But if I've been dealing with people a lot lately, or if I'm going through a rough emotional spot, I'm going to say A. Also, it depends on from where I am looking. Previous questions have gotten me thinking about my past, and I've been sensitive in the past. So depending on the context, I'm going to jump to one or the other, and once I've started saying F, I'm very likely going to keep erring towards the side of F because my context is fixed on that.

This one's worse:
    This isn't so much a problem for me, but if you were feeling misunderstood you might say that everyone sees you as one way, but you think of yourself another way, so it depends a whole lot on how closely you read the question. I tend to interpret these questions still as "Are you..." rather than "Do people see you as..." too, and I have to slow down to notice this.

Etc. I think tests were made for people who are getting acquainted with the theory, not people who hang around forums dedicated to it.

Even more deliciously:

If you know why this question is being asked, and why you feel the way you feel, why would you trust the test to tell you what your type is?

:fencing:

#6 KazeCraven, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  7. NiennaLadyOfTears

NiennaLadyOfTears Goth Hobbit Lass
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    I did have some confusion earlier but I will say with 95% certainty that I am an INFJ. This is based on several tests and reading the descriptions, as well as reading the entirety of INFJorINFP.com, which answered questions I had about the differences between the two of them. While my outer space is rather disorganized my thoughts tend to be intensely organized. I may not show much of my N side here but I am not sure it's possible to really show that on an internet forum anyway. But in whole I identify with the INFJ type and much less with INFP.

I think it is possible to appear as different types in different settings, depending on how open you are or not. I am beginning to think that internet forums shouldn't attempt to type anyone because it's all based on what the forum has seen of the person, and if someone hasn't expressed a certain function then results are likely to be skewed.

8. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy

This is why i've always been reluctant in identifying with a particular type because the questions on these tests are subject to our own interpretations or misunderstandings about what the questions are really asking.

9. OP
    arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    And that's the problem, isn't it? We keep wondering what the test maker meant by the question, rather than interpreting the question itself. It's the problem of anticipating the question. The problem is, once you've taken *any* MBTI test more than three times (doesn't matter which test it is), you're automatically going to anticipate the answer to the question and you'll be unable to answer objectively.

The only other option is - possibly - seeking a professional in the field (someone who doesn't know you) or, finding a friend who knows you well enough to not pull punches to take the test on your behalf. :p

10. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Agree. I've always been curious about the possibility of going to a counselor/psychologist and have them do an oral/written personality test and see whether the results i've received with online tests would match up.

11. Jana

Jana Searching...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Somehow from the first time I took the test and read description many parts of my life started to make sense, I felt deliberation. I never doubt my type, because that first reading made me feel like I came back home.

Odyne likes this.
  12. Odyne

Odyne Organic

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    I think that this was the greatest factor in my type confusion.

Being female, and having been raised by an ESFJ mother, having an ISFP sister, with the only male figure in my life is an INTP, played a huge factor in my F development making me appear another type than I am.

It certainly helped me achieve a balance between the two ends of the spectrum though. =)

Jana likes this.
  13. DoveAlexa

DoveAlexa Chaz's Lovey Bunny
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    So its like you me and Arby who are the only people here who believe their type is their type.

14. OP
    arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Heh, I'm sure there's more who are sure. Mind you, sometimes we do need other people's opinions. Most of the time if we're sure of our type we don't need to go around asking folks if we're X type or not, because we're satisfied. But it doesn't hurt to get an outside consensus, because we can indeed be wrong, and we can assume we're one thing when the truth is something else, altogether.

That's the thing, though: Why would anyone want to own any other type than the type they always were and should be? How can you be happy being the round peg, trying to force yourself into the square hole? And honestly, be yourself. It's annoying when you're not, and it's not the real *you.* Don't be something you're not. Enjoy the real you, because...

[​IMG]

Misty, Jana and Gaze like this.
  15. DoveAlexa

DoveAlexa Chaz's Lovey Bunny
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Thanks arby, but don't worry, I've had lots of outside feedback from people and they are all certain about my INFJ ness.

16. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    This is interesting because although i'm supposed to be INFP, in my habits, the way i handle my work, etc. I'm very J - structured. I have to organize myself and address one thing before I handle another. If i don't, i feel out of control. But i'm not like that in every area of my life, so it's conditional.

This is my problem with the questions - if you have a particular trait but its presence is dependent on the mood and situation, then can you absolutely sure you are one thing more than another? If one trait feels natural in one circumstance but not in another, how do you decide between them?

17. KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    [MENTION=1669]Anita[/MENTION], I think the questions are only good as guides. I would look to the Gestalt, seeing whether overall you think mostly in terms of Fi-Ne. Whether or not you are structured at work to feel comfortable is a minor thing that could be explained by many things.

If I wanted to, I could impose a rigid schedule on myself for an extended period of time and be fine, perhaps just to spite the type descriptions. But overall I'm going to be filtering pretty much everything that comes in through my dominant function, and no matter what I do that's how I'm going to understand things. That's what we're getting at; the part that's unchangeable. But of course a test can't ask that of people so it goes for more superficial traits.

Also, as an aside, we can be reasonably confident about our types without needing to be absolutely sure. I'm probably a contender for most uncertain member, and I'm not doubting my MBTI type. Though that doesn't mean I won't play around with the alternatives for fun.

Gaze likes this.
  18. OP
    arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    :D I meant for folks in general (the universal "you") but you're still awesome!

19. Jana

Jana Searching...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Well, I think that people can be confused if their description is not 100% accurate to their person. It is not necesary because types are usually models of personality, not portaits od individuals.
    I am sure of my type even when I make little anylize.
    I always get the lowest score in N, but I know i am not ISFJ because I am not SJ. If you don't belive me, ask my mum:)
    I could be maybe INFP, but that means that my Ne wil bee good and I am not Ne type.
    Fe is rather high, but I have times of need for being "outside" people, too much socializing makes me worn out, so it can't be first one, so it's not my first function.
    And I get better in analyzes like this one with years, yes my Ti is coming from the dark...

And yes - I just know that I am right (because I am never wrong:) with my type.

20. Ria

Ria Snow White over the ocean

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ.
    Enneagram:
    4 x 6 (I think).
    I think now that I'm nicely adjusting to being out of the abusive relationship that I was in when I first joined the forum, I'm far more at peace with saying I'm infj. Due to the nature of my former living conditions within my home, I tended to lean more to infp. I think what wasn't working for me during that time, was my trying to "settle into" the type and the lifestyle that I was in, and I just couldn't get it to work.
    When I first took the test and came out as infj, I was happily single and in a balanced place in myself. So I think that this says a great deal. Although I must admit, I feel pretty frustrated when I'm seen as infp for the simple reason that I feel within myself that it just doesn't fit somehow. Infp or anyother type just feels like a misrepresentation. It doesn't resonate with my "truest" sense of identity when I'm happy within my home life. For me this is KEY to successfully coping with all others aspects of my world.