Being confident of your type

arbygil

Passing through
Nov 29, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've adapted the link from this page: http://www.careerplanner.com/PT/Importance-Of-Accurate-Type.cfm but the information is both down to earth and relevant. If you're stuck, or feel as if you're "between types" see if this article can help encourage you.

It's Good To Be 100% Confident That You Have
The Correct 4 Letter Personality Type

It is extremely critical to know precisely what your 4 letter Personality Type is, and it's worth taking a little bit of extra time to be 100% sure.

There are 16 Personality Types, and picking the wrong type is like putting diesel fuel into a car that takes regular gasoline (petrol, for you Brits). The wrong type of fuel just won't work right and you will damage your engine.

Having the wrong Personality Type will waste your time and result in you getting bad information about yourself.

Knowing your correct Type will help you achieve: more job satisfaction, more success and better relationships.

Five Reasons Why Your Personality Test Results May Not Be Accurate

Thousands of people take free personality tests every month. Some will find the correct Personality Type the first time. Others will need some help. Why?

There are five main reasons why an individual's Personality Test results many not be accurate and why you may want to take extra steps to make sure you have the correct type.

1) Cultural Biases and Honesty

Some people answer the questions based on how they wish they were, not how they actually are.

This is because they have an image in their mind of what is proper.

For example, we have seen people who believe that being organized is very important yet they are not all that organized. They will answer as if they were very organized, when if fact they are the opposite.

The important point is that being well organized is not always the best thing for certain Personality Types because they have other things to focus on.

It's important to know yourself and to answer truthfully. Otherwise you are just lying to yourself and that will get you nowhere.

In a world where being on time is seen as a positive attribute and being late is seen as being not so good, a person who frequently shows up late might find themselves answering a question by saying that being on time is very important to them. This would distort the Judging / Perceiving scores.

It would be better for this person to realize that because they get wrapped up in the experience of the moment they don't want to end the current experience to allow enough time to get to their next appointment. So they consciously make a decision to be a few minutes late.

In a world where we are taught that being neat and having a clean desk is good, a person who really prefers to have several stacks of paper on their desk might answer a question in the test by saying they like a neat workspace when in fact they really don't. This would distort the Judging / Perceiving scores. If you like all of your important papers stacked up on your desk, just say so. There is nothing wrong with it.

In a world where carrying a Day Timer or Personal Organizer is the accepted way of doing business, a person who hates "To Do Lists" might in fact say they are a very organized person who plans everyday. This would distort the Judging / Perceiving scores.

In a world where being tough is considered manly, certain men may not want to answer questions about the Thinking / Feeling preference if it indicates they are more Feeling oriented. Yet, there are huge advantages to the Feeling preference. So answering truthfully will result in a more accurate test score.

Thus we find that people can distort their test scores based by selecting what they think or believe is the better, more acceptable answer.

2) Too Much Thinking

We have seen very analytical people "over complicate" and "over think" the questions in the test. The instructions say you should answer quickly and not think too much.

3) Confusion about One's Self

People may not have a clear picture of themselves and how they behave under certain circumstances.

We've seen professional actors and actresses who were so adept at playing different roles that they sometimes forget who they really are. They would slide into different roles while taking the test.

Yet, on the other hand we have seen 9th graders do really well and get an accurate test results.

4) Confusion Over Personality Type Terminology

We have encountered many people who think they are "Extraverted" when in fact they are "Introverted." Once the differences are explained they agree that with the correct definition, they are not Extraverted.

One true test for Introversion vs Extraversion is to see the person when they are out of their comfort zone. An Introvert who is in their comfort zone i.e. with close friends, might talk loud and fast just like an Extravert, but put them in a small group of strangers and watch what they do.

A true Introvert, when put in a small group of people they do not know will become very uncomfortable. An Extravert however gets excited about having more people to talk to, even if they are total strangers.

Another good test for Introversion and Extraversion is to find out just how much "private time" or "alone time" the person enjoys. Introverts love private time whereas, Extraverts would rather be with people.

Public speaking ability is not a good indicator of Introversion or Extraversion. Being able to stand up in front of 300 people and give a talk is not hard for many Introverts, if you give them time to prepare. However, ask them to do it without any preparation and you will see the anxiety build. So public speaking is not a good indicator for Introversion / Extraversion.

The Personality Type system is fairly complex and there are many subtleties. It takes considerable study and practice to become adept at determining a person's Type.

5) The Influence of Age, Maturity, and Learned Behavior

Your 4 letter Personality Type stays the same from birth to death, but it's easier to determine one's Type when one is under 25. The reason is that as one matures and becomes more well rounded one learns to adapt to situations and it's harder to identify one's Type. One learns to modify one's behavior. This can mask one's true personality.

For this reason, when taking the Personality Test, it may help to remember how you behaved back in high school or college.

Three Ways To Make Sure You Have the Right Personality Type

There are three ways to make sure you have the correct Personality Type:

1. Read descriptions of each Personality Type and decide which fits best.

2. Read descriptions of each Personality Type in books, and see which one fits the best

3. Talk to a person who is trained and certified in Myers-Briggs personality assessment and have them determine your Type

People who are trained and certified in the Myers-Briggs system are taught that when administering a personality test to someone you should also include a 1 on 1 discussion to help make sure they have the correct Personality Type.

Why is Knowing Your Personality Type so Important?

Knowing your 4 letter Personality Type is extremely powerful when it comes to understanding yourself and others. There are hundreds of books written about Personality Type that you can access to boost your personal growth and your success.

If you have the wrong Personality Type, all of this information is useless.

Thus if you want any of the following, then making sure you have the correct 4 Letter Personality Type is critical:

* You are looking for insight into which careers you might be good at
* You would like insight into your strengths and weaknesses
* You want to achieve more and be more successful
* You want to be happier
* You want to know how to sell to others better
* You want to know how to be more persuasive
* You want to have better relationships
* You want to know how to get along with others better
* You have trouble getting along with a person and you want help figuring out what to do

Personality Type systems will help you to achieve all of those things, but only if you know your Type. Otherwise, all of the information will be inaccurate.

Reactions: Jexocuha
2 & 3 are cause for most of the issues in general and also around here methinks.

Good post, Arby! But I need a little help....

2) Too Much Thinking

We have seen very analytical people "over complicate" and "over think" the questions in the test. The instructions say you should answer quickly and not think too much.
I've always had a problem with people saying this. I don't know how to NOT think too much (most of the time). Don't I need to think to have an answer? Frequently, I have to reread things a few times before I actually know what it says as I often misread things. Simply choosing something quickly would cause my tests to be inaccurate. Anyone have thoughts/advice for me on this one?

Milon, that would depend on how much test taking you have done. I think once you have gotten somewhat familiar with the theory, you should shy away from test taking and go more by trying to see the different functions in yourself on a day-to-day basis or at least go by the descriptions.

I can't take MBTI tests anymore. Not only can I tell what each question is forcing me to choose between on each question, but also I can usually pick up pretty quickly what method the test makers are using to type participants. Usually people use the four dichotomy model, but some tests try doing it by cognitive processes too. In rare cases it is by Gestalt, i.e. the 16 types as a whole, but I'm pretty sure that ends up being just identifying with the types (which is basically reading the descriptions and deciding which fits). Once you get to that stage, test taking is silly.

Good post, Arby! But I need a little help....

I've always had a problem with people saying this. I don't know how to NOT think too much (most of the time). Don't I need to think to have an answer? Frequently, I have to reread things a few times before I actually know what it says as I often misread things. Simply choosing something quickly would cause my tests to be inaccurate. Anyone have thoughts/advice for me on this one?

Kaze is right - but also, if you know the answers (or you can predict the outcome) it's too easy to "know" what you're supposed to say. If we're truly honest with ourselves, we should answer the question with how we're most like, all of the time (not what we were like in one or two particular situations). I think we know ourselves, but we also have an inflated idea of who we want to be, and who we think we should be. It might not be nice, but when we really sit down and have a chat with our inner self, we'll know what the answers should be (even if we don't like them).

As to the overthink problem, it's hard to say. Personally, I think if it takes you longer than 3 seconds to answer the question, you've probably over thought it. First instincts are probably correct.

I started to take a test to point out the problem with test taking:

Are you more
A) Sensitive, empathetic, and considerate of people's feelings
B) Logical and analytical

My first instinct is to say "logical and analytical". But if I've been dealing with people a lot lately, or if I'm going through a rough emotional spot, I'm going to say A. Also, it depends on from where I am looking. Previous questions have gotten me thinking about my past, and I've been sensitive in the past. So depending on the context, I'm going to jump to one or the other, and once I've started saying F, I'm very likely going to keep erring towards the side of F because my context is fixed on that.

This one's worse:
Do people see you as
A) Imaginative, inventive and creative
B) Down to earth, practical and realistic

This isn't so much a problem for me, but if you were feeling misunderstood you might say that everyone sees you as one way, but you think of yourself another way, so it depends a whole lot on how closely you read the question. I tend to interpret these questions still as "Are you..." rather than "Do people see you as..." too, and I have to slow down to notice this.

Etc. I think tests were made for people who are getting acquainted with the theory, not people who hang around forums dedicated to it.

Even more deliciously:

When making big decisions, do you
A) Usually feel better after the decisions are made
B) Usually find it somewhat uncomfortable and would prefer more time when making big decisions

If you know why this question is being asked, and why you feel the way you feel, why would you trust the test to tell you what your type is?

:fencing:

Last edited:
I did have some confusion earlier but I will say with 95% certainty that I am an INFJ. This is based on several tests and reading the descriptions, as well as reading the entirety of INFJorINFP.com, which answered questions I had about the differences between the two of them. While my outer space is rather disorganized my thoughts tend to be intensely organized. I may not show much of my N side here but I am not sure it's possible to really show that on an internet forum anyway. But in whole I identify with the INFJ type and much less with INFP.

I think it is possible to appear as different types in different settings, depending on how open you are or not. I am beginning to think that internet forums shouldn't attempt to type anyone because it's all based on what the forum has seen of the person, and if someone hasn't expressed a certain function then results are likely to be skewed.

I started to take a test to point out the problem with test taking:

My first instinct is to say "logical and analytical". But if I've been dealing with people a lot lately, or if I'm going through a rough emotional spot, I'm going to say A. Also, it depends on from where I am looking. Previous questions have gotten me thinking about my past, and I've been sensitive in the past. So depending on the context, I'm going to jump to one or the other, and once I've started saying F, I'm very likely going to keep erring towards the side of F because my context is fixed on that.

This one's worse:

This isn't so much a problem for me, but if you were feeling misunderstood you might say that everyone sees you as one way, but you think of yourself another way, so it depends a whole lot on how closely you read the question. I tend to interpret these questions still as "Are you..." rather than "Do people see you as..." too, and I have to slow down to notice this.

Etc. I think tests were made for people who are getting acquainted with the theory, not people who hang around forums dedicated to it.

Even more deliciously:

If you know why this question is being asked, and why you feel the way you feel, why would you trust the test to tell you what your type is?

:fencing:

This is why i've always been reluctant in identifying with a particular type because the questions on these tests are subject to our own interpretations or misunderstandings about what the questions are really asking.

This is why i've always been reluctant in identifying with a particular type because the questions on these tests are subject to our own interpretations or misunderstandings about what the questions are really asking.

And that's the problem, isn't it? We keep wondering what the test maker meant by the question, rather than interpreting the question itself. It's the problem of anticipating the question. The problem is, once you've taken *any* MBTI test more than three times (doesn't matter which test it is), you're automatically going to anticipate the answer to the question and you'll be unable to answer objectively.

The only other option is - possibly - seeking a professional in the field (someone who doesn't know you) or, finding a friend who knows you well enough to not pull punches to take the test on your behalf. :p

And that's the problem, isn't it? We keep wondering what the test maker meant by the question, rather than interpreting the question itself. It's the problem of anticipating the question. The problem is, once you've taken *any* MBTI test more than three times (doesn't matter which test it is), you're automatically going to anticipate the answer to the question and you'll be unable to answer objectively.

The only other option is - possibly - seeking a professional in the field (someone who doesn't know you) or, finding a friend who knows you well enough to not pull punches to take the test on your behalf. :p

Agree. I've always been curious about the possibility of going to a counselor/psychologist and have them do an oral/written personality test and see whether the results i've received with online tests would match up.

Somehow from the first time I took the test and read description many parts of my life started to make sense, I felt deliberation. I never doubt my type, because that first reading made me feel like I came back home.

Reactions: Jexocuha and Odyne
I think that this was the greatest factor in my type confusion.

1) Cultural Biases and Honesty

Some people answer the questions based on how they wish they were, not how they actually are.

This is because they have an image in their mind of what is proper.

[...]

Thus we find that people can distort their test scores based by selecting what they think or believe is the better, more acceptable answer.

Being female, and having been raised by an ESFJ mother, having an ISFP sister, with the only male figure in my life is an INTP, played a huge factor in my F development making me appear another type than I am.

It certainly helped me achieve a balance between the two ends of the spectrum though. =)

Reactions: Jexocuha and Jana
Somehow from the first time I took the test and read description many parts of my life started to make sense, I felt deliberation. I never doubt my type, because that first reading made me feel like I came back home.
So its like you me and Arby who are the only people here who believe their type is their type.

So its like you me and Arby who are the only people here who believe their type is their type.

Heh, I'm sure there's more who are sure. Mind you, sometimes we do need other people's opinions. Most of the time if we're sure of our type we don't need to go around asking folks if we're X type or not, because we're satisfied. But it doesn't hurt to get an outside consensus, because we can indeed be wrong, and we can assume we're one thing when the truth is something else, altogether.

That's the thing, though: Why would anyone want to own any other type than the type they always were and should be? How can you be happy being the round peg, trying to force yourself into the square hole? And honestly, be yourself. It's annoying when you're not, and it's not the real *you.* Don't be something you're not. Enjoy the real you, because...

whos_awesome.jpg

Heh, I'm sure there's more who are sure. Mind you, sometimes we do need other people's opinions. Most of the time if we're sure of our type we don't need to go around asking folks if we're X type or not, because we're satisfied. But it doesn't hurt to get an outside consensus, because we can indeed be wrong, and we can assume we're one thing when the truth is something else, altogether.

That's the thing, though: Why would anyone want to own any other type than the type they always were and should be? How can you be happy being the round peg, trying to force yourself into the square hole? And honestly, be yourself. It's annoying when you're not, and it's not the real *you.* Don't be something you're not. Enjoy the real you, because...
Thanks arby, but don't worry, I've had lots of outside feedback from people and they are all certain about my INFJ ness.

In a world where carrying a Day Timer or Personal Organizer is the accepted way of doing business, a person who hates "To Do Lists" might in fact say they are a very organized person who plans everyday. This would distort the Judging / Perceiving scores.
This is interesting because although i'm supposed to be INFP, in my habits, the way i handle my work, etc. I'm very J - structured. I have to organize myself and address one thing before I handle another. If i don't, i feel out of control. But i'm not like that in every area of my life, so it's conditional.

This is my problem with the questions - if you have a particular trait but its presence is dependent on the mood and situation, then can you absolutely sure you are one thing more than another? If one trait feels natural in one circumstance but not in another, how do you decide between them?

[MENTION=1669]Anita[/MENTION], I think the questions are only good as guides. I would look to the Gestalt, seeing whether overall you think mostly in terms of Fi-Ne. Whether or not you are structured at work to feel comfortable is a minor thing that could be explained by many things.

If I wanted to, I could impose a rigid schedule on myself for an extended period of time and be fine, perhaps just to spite the type descriptions. But overall I'm going to be filtering pretty much everything that comes in through my dominant function, and no matter what I do that's how I'm going to understand things. That's what we're getting at; the part that's unchangeable. But of course a test can't ask that of people so it goes for more superficial traits.

Also, as an aside, we can be reasonably confident about our types without needing to be absolutely sure. I'm probably a contender for most uncertain member, and I'm not doubting my MBTI type. Though that doesn't mean I won't play around with the alternatives for fun.

Reactions: Jexocuha and Gaze
Thanks arby, but don't worry, I've had lots of outside feedback from people and they are all certain about my INFJ ness.

:D I meant for folks in general (the universal "you") but you're still awesome!

Well, I think that people can be confused if their description is not 100% accurate to their person. It is not necesary because types are usually models of personality, not portaits od individuals.
I am sure of my type even when I make little anylize.
I always get the lowest score in N, but I know i am not ISFJ because I am not SJ. If you don't belive me, ask my mum:)
I could be maybe INFP, but that means that my Ne wil bee good and I am not Ne type.
Fe is rather high, but I have times of need for being "outside" people, too much socializing makes me worn out, so it can't be first one, so it's not my first function.
And I get better in analyzes like this one with years, yes my Ti is coming from the dark...

And yes - I just know that I am right (because I am never wrong:) with my type.

I think now that I'm nicely adjusting to being out of the abusive relationship that I was in when I first joined the forum, I'm far more at peace with saying I'm infj. Due to the nature of my former living conditions within my home, I tended to lean more to infp. I think what wasn't working for me during that time, was my trying to "settle into" the type and the lifestyle that I was in, and I just couldn't get it to work.
When I first took the test and came out as infj, I was happily single and in a balanced place in myself. So I think that this says a great deal. Although I must admit, I feel pretty frustrated when I'm seen as infp for the simple reason that I feel within myself that it just doesn't fit somehow. Infp or anyother type just feels like a misrepresentation. It doesn't resonate with my "truest" sense of identity when I'm happy within my home life. For me this is KEY to successfully coping with all others aspects of my world.