Any INFJs that are good at maths? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Any INFJs that are good at maths?

My math skills are strange.

I was very good at Algebra 1 and Geometry, as well as the first part of Algebra 2. After the second half of Algebra 2, though... it just became too complex and frustrating for me to handle. I couldn't go on to college as a result.

I blame my poor math skills on some of my early teachers, though. I could probably learn it if I didn't find it so completely boring, complicated, and tedious, that I hate it. It's not that I'm too stupid, I think I just can't make myself sit there and work through something that complex it unless it has some kind of practical application that I can see myself using.

I can force myself to read books or write very easily. Even do science or lower-level math. But complex math seems to cause my brain to say, "Look, either make this relevant to the situation, or I'm going to wander off and do something else."

It's weird, because I have no problem understanding negative numbers, doing a budget, multiplying, dividing, using basic variables, or taking, using, even converting measurements. I can calculate things like speed and interest easily enough. I just struggle with anything more complex than that.

Last edited:
I'm really good at math. Not interested in it though.

I can help you.

Reactions: just me
You'll be alright ;)

I am a major in Computer Science and had truckloads of math. It did not come naturally to me like to some INTPs but I've managed to finish in top ten of my course.

Reactions: Bird
I had trouble with Algebra, mostly due to the busy work, but I always understood the theory very quickly. I was also prone to making small careless mistakes due to the fact that I never had a 'real world' frame of reference to proof from.

Geometry, physics, and any other sciences based in 'real world' rationale, I'm excellent at. For example, when I can proof my answers in geometry by comparing my answers to the shapes I'm working with, I'm almost never wrong... so long as my algebra doesn't have any errors. I made straight A's in physics, so long as there wasn't any abstract math... at which point I'd fall behind a little.

Calculus... yeah... I still can't understand what a Function is, does, or whatever.

But, for the record, I'm notorious for coming up with the correct answers by using methods that I invented myself on the spot. I've frequently broken the rules to find answers, even to problems that were supposed to have no logical answer... so I'm not especially good at math since it presumes that you follow rules.

Last edited:
You'll be alright ;)

I am a major in Computer Science and had truckloads of math. It did not come naturally to me like to some INTPs but I've managed to finish in top ten of my course.

I hope I'll be ok. Cheers for the encouraging words though. God knows I will need them if I get in.

Gr.

Let me download it.

And just so you know, the more difficult the concepts, the more likely I am to be able to do it. In the calculus courses I've taken, we haven't been allowed to use calculators much so you might be wary of this if your basic math skills suck.
For some reason the more difficult the math, the better I do.
For instance I absolutely love calculus and yet struggle with basic addition.

I hope I'll be ok. Cheers for the encouraging words though. God knows I will need them if I get in.

It's actually true what they say: your talents contribute only some 10-20% to your success, the rest is hard work and determination.

Just remember that Ni (introverted intuition) has to process everything before it has an 'aha' moment, so don't get frustrated when things don't make sense as quickly as they might for other people. Just give it time and it will click all of a sudden. Once this happens, your Fe will accept this understanding and work very well with your Ti from there on out.

That's really the most important advice you can get from these forums...

INFJs are designed to do well with math, so long as you understand how your mind is wired, and work with yourself rather than expect your mind to do function in ways that it's not designed to.

Ni has to stare at the pattern a while before it can see the pattern.
Fe has to choose to agree that what it sees is how it should be.
Ti understands how math works.

Therefore, you have to open your mind (aka turn off how you feel it should be and approach it with a blank slate) so your Ti can help your Ni see the pattern. Once you figure it out, then you can allow your Fe to accept that what you understand is how it should be, and your Fe and Ni will work amazingly well with your Ti from there on out.

INFJs can have difficulty with math at first, but finish the race strong. Just remember that.

Last edited:
Just remember that Ni (introverted intuition) has to process everything before it has an 'aha' moment, so don't get frustrated when things don't make sense as quickly as they might for other people. Just give it time and it will click all of a sudden. Once this happens, your Fe will accept this understanding and work very well with your Ti from there on out.

That's really the most important advice you can get from these forums...

INFJs are designed to do well with math, so long as you understand how your mind is wired, and work with yourself rather than expect your mind to do function in ways that it's not designed to.

Ni has to stare at the pattern a while before it can see the pattern.
Fe has to choose to agree that what it sees is how it should be.
Ti understands how math works.

Therefore, you have to open your mind (aka turn off how you feel it should be and approach it with a blank slate) so your Ti can help your Ni see the pattern. Once you figure it out, then you can allow your Fe to accept that what you understand is how it should be, and your Fe and Ni will work amazingly well with your Ti from there on out.

INFJs can have difficulty with math at first, but finish the race strong. Just remember that.

You are awesome. I am going to copy/paste your sentence and remember it. The bit about the "aha" moment you said rang bells for me. There have been COUNTLESS times where I just don't get something, and then all of a sudden one day it will just all click and fall into place like magic.

I had trouble with Algebra, mostly due to the busy work, but I always understood the theory very quickly. I was also prone to making small careless mistakes due to the fact that I never had a 'real world' frame of reference to proof from.
Haha me too.
Geometry, physics, and any other sciences based in 'real world' rationale, I'm excellent at. For example, when I can proof my answers in geometry by comparing my answers to the shapes I'm working with, I'm almost never wrong... so long as my algebra doesn't have any errors. I made straight A's in physics, so long as there wasn't any abstract math... at which point I'd fall behind a little.
Yeah this is me exactly too.
Calculus... yeah... I still can't understand what a Function is, does, or whatever.
Uhg, sometimes I had problems with it just because I was in disbelief that either the answer you got through the problems even MEANT anything, let alone was useful XD. My mind was blown in using stupid derivatives to figure out lengths of sides of shapes with only 1 piece of actual information while the rest were all variables. Mind was bloooooown.

I was and still am very good at it, mostly because I was never bothered too much by what was supposed to be a conventional way to solve a problem, but tried to figure it out by myself.

Math is so much fun, and as it gets to advanced the fun exponentially rises. I liked trig very much and to this day I do proofs and smaller problems just for the sheer fun of solving them. Only part of the math that I'm not very fond of is statistics and some parts of probability and in general applied math used for economics.

Math undergrad student here! :m149:
I'm doing a major in math and in computer science. I do it for the challenge and for the knowledge. It's not too hard, you just have to understand and learn the theorems and practice a bit. What is great with math is that you don't need a good memory (which I don't have), you need analytical skills.

My Introverted Thinking must be pretty strong I guess.

And I know a "feeling type" girl who is also doing math!

I must say that I didn't like much the math material of high school (mostly geometry) but advanced college math is so interesting.

good enough for simple calculus yes. Ironically, I steered away from Comp. Sci. and went to Information Systems because i did not want to take the higher math and i did not want to program.

Math has always been my weakest subject.

I just simply can't grasp the logic. All the math I've taken so far is very black and white, set in stone, and requires a lot of attention to detail. It also makes my head spin..

I hope to eventually get better at it..
Ironically I want to peruse a carrier in chemistry.

I love the theory, but logic classes like Programming have always hurt me.

I blame my poor math skills on some of my early teachers, though. I could probably learn it if I didn't find it so completely boring, complicated, and tedious, that I hate it. It's not that I'm too stupid, I think I just can't make myself sit there and work through something that complex it unless it has some kind of practical application that I can see myself using.

Same here.
Hate, hate, hated math in school!
Could not grasp some of the the concepts they were teaching.
Years later out of school it was as if a light bulb went off. I get it!
Probably because I was trying to solve a real problem that had a real world application.
Still not one of my strong suits, but I get by.

Last edited:
Same here.
Hate, hate, hated math in school!
Could not grasp some of the the concepts they were teaching.
Years later out of school it was as if a light bulb went off. I get it!
Probably because I was trying to solve a real problem that had a real world application.
Still not one of my strong suits, but I get by.

Why would you need a real-world application? We're all intuitive so abstract thinking shouldn't be too hard for most of the INFJ.

I guess that the problem is that high school math is pretty boring and does not show the real beauty hidden in mathematics formula/theorems. It's incredible how we can find mathematical/statistical laws that explain perfectly the laws of nature and some others who simulate real-world stuff really well. Also, there is a lot of creativity and imagination in mathematics, but that is something they don't show us in high school. Did you know that a mathemacian invented a full theory about multiple types of infinity? You can discover mathematical theories about everything, all you need is creativity.

Last edited:
Well I'm jealous of you bunch of boffins as I cannot grasp math AT ALL and can't even add up without using my fingers. I was top of the class in english and could read 10 times faster than all the other kids, but math, I was in the dunce class. I also cannot grasp even the very basics of chemistry and the science subjects. Math is needed for so many jobs and just to get through life.

I guess I am good at math, but I am very, very rusty. I do have some advanced CS degrees, so I should be able to help out in a meaningful way. (I guess technically I'm qualified to teach your classes, although that makes me laugh inside.)

Last edited: