Any INFJs that are good at maths? | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

Any INFJs that are good at maths?

Reactions: o2b
Reactions: dZpADTLrPmX4c
You bet!

Did you ever come across the paradox I posted a couple of years ago? It's quite a familiar one in maths circles but looks really weird the first time you come across it.

https://www.infjs.com/threads/write-what-you-think-part-9.34750/page-142#post-1122531

Let x = a
then x+x = x+a
i.e. 2x = x+a
so 2x-a = x
i.e. 2x-a-a = x-a
2x-2a = x-a
or 2(x-a) = (x-a)
Divide both sides by (x-a) -
ie 2(x-a)/(x-a) = (x-a)/(x-a)

Cancelling top and bottom .......
So 2 = 1

It is very, very, very, very wrong to divide by zero!

A lot of the issues with Math stem from some instability in the foundational understanding, which carries over as the difficulty is increased. I noticed this often in teaching students. If they had no concept of the idea of base 10, then they couldn't comprehend multiplication as repeated addition and borrowing in place value. So, the gaps in their foundation only served to further complicate their understanding. There are rules, but once you know them, then there is a correct answer. Numbers are nice that way. I think it feels daunting to some because maybe they aren't aware of where those gaps are in their foundational understanding. Once, you get past that, into trigonometry and calculus, it is similar. You must know one component before moving to the next, or you will lack a fundamental understanding and will struggle until you work to fill in those gaps.

I used to be really good in school times. Many other subjects, like geography and history I studied only enough to reach the points, to be approved.
First year in high school I literally got maximum score in all maths related subjects. Today I really don't know if I could do the same.
Being good in math involve constant practice.