Amazing Foreign Movies... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Amazing Foreign Movies...

And anyone who hasn't seen Life is Beautiful, an Italian film, should see it, stat. It's incredibly sweet and tragic. Centered around a beautiful little family and the Holocaust.

I'm right with you LM, and I love El Mariachi too. Forgot about that one. Selma Hayek, ummm....... I love the dark-haired heroines!! I Fe them all!
Salma Hayek wasn't in El Mariachi, though, only the sequels.

And anyone who hasn't seen Life is Beautiful, an Italian film, should see it, stat. It's incredibly sweet and tragic. Centered around a beautiful little family and the Holocaust.

Yes, now how did I forget about that one?

[MENTION=884]solongotgon[/MENTION] I know this is an old movie - but I feel you'll enjoy it anyway. It has a subtle blend of mysticism woven throughout the story of love and rigid cultural ideals. Takes place in Mexico.

Like Water for Chocolate

Storyline:

This movie is about how life used to be in Mexico. It is a love story between Pedro and Tita, and their journey to get married. It shows how marriage was imposed on those times, and how a love between two people can change everything. This picture set a new epoch in Mexican movies all over the world.

:0 ! Amelieee that one crazy french movvieeee

Anything by Shunji Iwai. In particular: Swallowtail Butterfly (aka Yentown), All About Lily Chou-Chou.

Anything by Bergman. (Persona is my personal favourite.)

And others:

Y tu mam

American Beauty.

Empire of the sun was the first movie I saw in theatres, I was like 4 or 5 and it is still one of my favorites.

Last edited:
I love foreign films - I'll take them all.

Two of my favorites were Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources (Manon of the Spring). Manon was the sequel to Jean de Florette. Both really, really good movies.

What? No one has mentioned Brotherhood of the Wolf!

C'mon.

Reactions: Questingpoet
Thanks for the ideas!!!! I'll watch some of them...
And I fully agree with 2046, Lola runnt, wals with Basir, y tu mama tambien.

One German movie I liked is Gegen die Wand. I have also watched the Edge of Heaven and Soul Kitchen and I think that Fatih Akin is a great artist.
I watch every film under the sign of Kim Ki Duke, my favorites are: The Isle, The Bad Guy, 3-Iron. Kim Ki Duke is my favorite director.
But I can not forget to praise Akira Kurosawa: The Runaway Train, The Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai.
The above are masterpieces, to (my humble) opinion.

I have watched Alodovar but I think he gets repeated, however the best of him, to my opinion, are: Matador, Carne Tremula, La mala education.
I can also recommend the trilogy Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and Old Boy.
Paradise Now from Israel, The Milk of Sorrow from Peru, Soul Deep from Greece, Pour Elle from France, City of God from Brasil, Die Welle from Germany are good movies.
Enjoy :mhula:

I typically do not like foreign films, because it's too hard to keep track of all of the subtitles. (Not that I have anything against them in general though.)

I did enjoy this one Chinese film. Believe it was called something like "Life is wonderful" ? Was like 10 years ago.

That reminds me, Red Cliff is awesome.

Cidade de Deus

One of my favorite movies of all time.
Great Movie!

Princess and the Warrior One of my favorite movies ever.

Kolya

Central Station

Open Your Eyes The American remake of this was called Vanilla Sky. But Open Your Eyes is soooo much better than Vanilla Sky.

Sion Sono films... Suicide Club, Noriko's Dinner Table, Love Exposure, Strange Circus

Wings of Desire

Brother

Oldboy

Black Orpheus

The Killer

Holy Land

And I'm probably totally alone in this opinion but...I did not care for Amelie.