A list of your most favorite movies from every genre, and WHY! | INFJ Forum

A list of your most favorite movies from every genre, and WHY!

Persona

Community Member
Dec 10, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I've recently been pondering on a lot of movies of various genres,
and I'm curious to see what yours are, and why! I'll leave a list of
my personal preferences below with a short description of why I like
them, and categorize them as an example of how you could post.

Fantasy:
Inception: Expands the origin of your mind & ideas.
Ex Machina: A touch on artificial intelligence, & how it can deviate.

Thriller/Drama
The Prestige:A stage-dive of plot twists, majestic storytelling, and intriguing performances
on character.
Limitless: Mind expanding, and idealistic.
V for Vendetta Complexity on character, overthrowing power, self redemption.
Exam:Stimulates your intelligence, and forges the unknown.
Law Abiding Citizen: Excellent delivery on revenge, and self worth, strong meaning.
The Machinist: Psychological bend with Schizophrenia.
Source Code: Stimulates your intuition and possibilities.
Into The Wild: Nature-filled, freedom.
Southpaw: Redemption.
Prisoner: Suspenseful, deeper meaning.
2 Guns:Enjoyable for what it's worth.
The Kings of Summer: Adventurous getaway.
Whiplash: Great performances, very excellent movie on a musical theme, and redemption.

Action
The Equalizer: Being selfless, and self redeeming.
Shooter: A twist on Imperialism
John Wick: Kinetic, & concise.
American Sniper: Touching, war movie.
Safe: Redemption.
Safe House: Suspenseful, intrinsic.
World War Z: Good Delivery, attained Simplicity.
Push: Idealistic
Wanted: Simplicity throughout the plot, yet delivering the point, & idealistic.

The Bourne Legacy: (All 4 movies) Interesting concepts throughout each movie.

Romance
P.S. I Love You: Reawakening.
The notebook: Realization.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind A deeper connection for what it's worth.

Comedy
We're the millers

Keep in mind some of these movies can have more than one genre,
and this is my own formulated calculations.
I have a lot of other movies I could name, and write in depth reviews for,
but we'd be here all night, so name yours! And let's have a discussion!

Last edited:
This is a great topic. I'll give you my list soon ^_^

Sounds good, I'll be awaiting your feedback!

No I haven't actually, but I do know of it. Is there a dubbed English version,
or did you watch it with the English subtitles?

No I haven't actually, but I do know of it. Is there a dubbed English version,
or did you watch it with the English subtitles?

I watched subtitled. I don't necessarily object to the practice of dubbing, but I feel like it compromises the performances somehow.

Great post! I'll have a go - this is a "work in progress" first attempt and I'll edit/update if I think of anything else (apologies that it's not neat and structured as yours):

FANTASY
Hmmmm.....need to think about this section...not a great start! Enjoy sci-fi but can't think of my most favourite... it'll come to me at some point. Let's say Matrix for the moment (but this may get displaced)....also Iron Man.

THRILLER DRAMA
American history x
Usual suspects
Defiance
The dark knight
The counterfeiters
When did you last see your father?
12 Angry men
Into the wild ("Happiness is only real, when shared" - powerful quote)
A street car named desire
Saving Private Ryan
The kings speech
Cast away

ACTION
The hurt locker
Back hawk down
Shooter
Salt
Forrest Gump

ROMANCE
Pride and prejudice (one with Keira Knightley)
It's a wonderful life

COMEDY
Toy story 3 (all of them but particularly 3)
The devil wears Prada

Why? Too many reasons but here's a few: examination of the human spirit and heart, grit and determination, freedom and purposefulness, life and solidarity, rawness v redemption, romance and passion, exploration and learning, associations and memories, laughter and relationships, strength and gentleness, surrealism, going against tradition and social norms, expectations and choices....and it goes on.

Fantasy
LOTR: Because duh.
Star Wars: Because duh.
Harry Potter: Though not perfect, when you compile the best portions it is truly a gem and has heavily influenced society.
The Matrix: Greatest cyberpunk movie ever. It has paved the way for the genre and influenced the film industry as a whole. It will continue to pave the way for things like Ready Player One and hopefully one day Neuromancer.
Clash of the Titans (original): I have watched this movie so many times, it is timeless.

Thriller
Seven: It builds suspense so effectively and delivers the goods at every point.
Oldboy (original): It's such a mindfuck, hits the ground running and never stops.
Black Swan: Seriously disturbing. I have never been so uncomfortable in a movie theater.
The Machinist: It pulled me in, it's filmed so well I could not look away the entire time.
Taxi Driver: Timeless. De Niro's best performance hands down.

Drama
The King's Speech: Such a surprisingly interesting and engaging movie with the dullest premise.
Gran Torino: Of everything Clint Eastwood has ever done, this is my favorite thing.
Scarface: It has some slow points but if you stick it out, it's a great one with still a lot of relevance today.
Dead Poet's Society: A bit dated now, but I love Robin and it's one of his best performances.
The Departed: Pure awesome gangster drama. Superb acting by every single person.

Action
The Professional: The definitive action film. Flawless.
Drive: This movie will rock your face off. Gossling kills it. One of the most incredible movie intros to boot.
The Legend of Drunken Master: Jackie Chan being the most badass person ever. That stunt work.
Aliens: SciFi action at its finest.
Red Cliff: Epic Chinese battle action. Doesn't get much cooler.

Romance
Sleepless in Seattle: Seattle is a great place, and a great place for a movie. Also Tom Hanks.
Wall-E: OMG Squeeee. The feels. I can't take it.
A Walk To Remember: UHGG MY HEART.
Juno: It's popular for a reason. Cute. Dorky. Real.
Edward Scissorhands: We are all Edward. So tragic. So adorable.

Comedy
Ghostbusters: My favorite since I was little. Always funny.
Napoleon Dynamite: What's not to like? Good fun. Good laughs.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Timeless. The jokes, the delivery, the absurdity, perfection.
Groundhog Day: It may not be the "funniest" movie, but damn is it comfortable, watchable, enjoyable. Also funny.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles: SO relatable. Too real. Too funny. Will never not be funny.

Yeah I agree with you Invisible, i might just go with the English subtitles then. I started
watching a bit of it, the visuals were very abstract and interesting. I'll try to finish it
with the subtitles now that I know there's no English copy, or at least I can't find it, but thanks!

Last edited:
Very good list you got going Isabella! I've seen quite a few on your list, reminding me of some
movies I also liked as well! I hope you finish your list as I am grateful for the feedback!

But I must ask, what was your favorite overall movie on your list, or that you can just
remember in general? Or top 3 movies at least if you cannot pick a favorite.

Quite an interesting list you got going as well Wyote, which three movies would you
claim as your favorite, or recommend to definitely watch?

And thanks for the great feedback!

Fantasy
Harry Potter: I have grown up with them, the characters are like childhood friends.
LOTR: What can I say? I just love it. But not the Hobbit ones.
Never Let me go: It's based on my favorite book. Babies raised to be living organ donors till they die, devastating.

Thriller
The Wave: It's disturbing how easily influenced is society.
Old Boy (2003): There're some scenes I would like to forget but I just can't, too impacting.
No Man's Land: I love that they can't seem to know why they're fighting.

Drama
Life is Beautiful: So inspiring, he made a heaven out of hell just with a game.
Miracle in Cell No. 7: It's so tender, the love between a girl and his father, but the end is just, they make beautiful something very unfair.
Slumdog Millionaire: A tough story with happy ending.
Butterfly's Tongue: The prelude of the spanish civil war from a kid's perspective.
Hachi: A dog's tale: Dogs are loyal and pure, I love them.

Action
Kill Bill: I don't usually watch action movies. I loved the scenery even when it was all bloody.

Romance
Amélie: So dreamy. So beautiful.
Love Story: I cried my eyes out, lol.

Comedy
The dinner game (1998): Hilarious, seriously watch it.
Death at a Funeral (2008): So funny, it will always make me laugh.
Castaway on the Moon: I don't know if it's really a comedy but I love it. It's about losing faith in life but then start again and value every little detail.
Welcome to Dongmakgol: It's beautiful, it shows you how stupid are wars.​

Last edited:
Good listen as well! Kaleidoscope. I must say Slumdog Millionaire was quite a touching movie,
having seen it in years, but I remember it being pretty deep!

What would you say your top 3 movies are that you'd recommend to anyone?

Reactions: Kaleidoscopic
[MENTION=14357]Persona[/MENTION] it's really difficult and it probably will change on my mood :m187:

Miracle in Cell No. 7, Castaway on the Moon, Never Let me Go

Sounds good. I'll be checking them out and see what I think of them. For me, my favorite movie by far I've ever seen, is The Prestige. Runner up would probably have to be Ex Machina, but it's not nearly as good.

Reactions: Wyote
Quite an interesting list you got going as well Wyote, which three movies would you
claim as your favorite, or recommend to definitely watch?

And thanks for the great feedback!

Well, I'm going to give you eight movies. Three I already listed and five new must see movies.

The three that no person should live their life without seeing are:

1. Star Wars: A New Hope
2. The Matrix
3. Ghostbusters

These five are in no particular category but they are must see movies:

1. Dances With Wolves
2. The Exorcist
3. Whiplash
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. Cool Hand Luke

Reactions: PintoBean
Sounds good. I'll be checking them out. I have seen the matrix and whiplash, very good movies. I've heard of the others you named being good as well so I'll see where it goes! Thanks!

[MENTION=13723]Misadventure[/MENTION] [MENTION=13729]Free[/MENTION] [MENTION=12327]Anywhere But Here[/MENTION]
Let's see what you've got!

Reactions: Free
Very good list you got going Isabella! I've seen quite a few on your list, reminding me of some
movies I also liked as well! I hope you finish your list as I am grateful for the feedback!

But I must ask, what was your favorite overall movie on your list, or that you can just
remember in general? Or top 3 movies at least if you cannot pick a favorite.

Hello [MENTION=14357]Persona[/MENTION] - please tag me otherwise, I'll forget to look here...

Top three:
The Kings Speech
Pride and Prejudice
Toy Story 3

Top one: :)
The Kings Speech

Hello [MENTION=14357]Persona[/MENTION] - please tag me otherwise, I'll forget to look here...

Top three:
The Kings Speech
Pride and Prejudice
Toy Story 3

Top one: :)
The Kings Speech
What is it you like most about the kings speech?