Amazing Foreign Movies... | INFJ Forum

Amazing Foreign Movies...

Solongo

Mar 18, 2009
MBTI
INFJ all day
I love foreign movies because it gives me perspective on what is going on in the world outside of the US and how the rest of the world thinks and acts. its fascinating to me and I learnt a lot. I am sick of the American media and it's propaganda...so please include some of your favorite foreign movies.

Mine:

The Counterfeiters - Nazi area film focused on a mastermind currency counterfeiter who was Jewish and used by the Nazi's to create fake UK Pounds and eventually fake US Dollar which attributed much to the fall of the Nazi regime. Great acting.

2046 - The ultimate movie about lost love and longing. beautiful cinematography. Moving and beautiful.

Malena - humorous Italian movie

Volver - Penelope Cruz masterpiece

Run Lola Run - Everyone probably saw it

Ong Bak - Great movie focusing on the art of Muay Thai

Empire of the Sun - Young Christian bale WWII drama - epic

I love foreign movies because it gives me perspective on what is going on in the world outside of the US and how the rest of the world thinks and acts. its fascinating to me and I learnt a lot. I am sick of the American media and it's propaganda...so please include some of your favorite foreign movies.

Mine:

The Counterfeiters - Nazi area film focused on a mastermind currency counterfeiter who was Jewish and used by the Nazi's to create fake UK Pounds and eventually fake US Dollar which attributed much to the fall of the Nazi regime. Great acting.

2046 - The ultimate movie about lost love and longing. beautiful cinematography. Moving and beautiful.

Malena - humorous Italian movie

Volver - Penelope Cruz masterpiece

Run Lola Run - Everyone probably saw it

Ong Bak - Great movie focusing on the art of Muay Thai

Empire of the Sun - Young Christian bale WWII drama - epic

I have to admit I don't watch a lot of foreign films. I did like Empire of the Sun. I have also heard great things about a (Swedish?) vampire film called "Let the Right One In" that I want to see. Really great reviews on that one by people I respect.

A majority of the foreign films I have seen are kung-fu flicks--which I love.

* Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon * (especially good, very emotional)
* House of Flying Daggers
* Kung Fu Hustle

All great films!

* Anything with Jet Lee or Chow Yung Fat too!!!

Yes, i like so much crouching tiger hidden dragon , it is really good movie. Its story is really nice and heart-touching. I watch it every week, to learn something from it.

I couldn't agree more with OP. It's a really great way to see into another culture's social values, and a really great way to learn about places when you can't go there.

"Goodbye Lenin" - Germany - A fantastic coming of age story that takes place in East Berlin right after the fall of the Berlin Wall. It's about family and how people respond to vast, sudden changes.

"Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress - China/France - takes place in the Chinese countryside, during the "Sent Down" movement of the 1970s, when bourgois or city youth were sent to the countryside to farm (and not cause trouble). Details the lives to two best friends who fall in love with the same young woman, and takes a really interesting look at human nature.

"Waltz with Bashir" - Israel - A truly brilliant movie about war that remains surprisingly free of bias or politics. Instead, it takes a look at the trauma and human suffering caused by war. It's animated and done in a documentary-style, which is really brilliant because it draws in the viewer and causes them to lower their guard. It's also really brilliant because it points toward how diverse political opinion and culture is in Israel (something most Americans just don't realize).

I couldn't agree more with OP. It's a really great way to see into another culture's social values, and a really great way to learn about places when you can't go there.

"Goodbye Lenin" - Germany - A fantastic coming of age story that takes place in East Berlin right after the fall of the Berlin Wall. It's about family and how people respond to vast, sudden changes.

"Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress - China/France - takes place in the Chinese countryside, during the "Sent Down" movement of the 1970s, when bourgois or city youth were sent to the countryside to farm (and not cause trouble). Details the lives to two best friends who fall in love with the same young woman, and takes a really interesting look at human nature.

"Waltz with Bashir" - Israel - A truly brilliant movie about war that remains surprisingly free of bias or politics. Instead, it takes a look at the trauma and human suffering caused by war. It's animated and done in a documentary-style, which is really brilliant because it draws in the viewer and causes them to lower their guard. It's also really brilliant because it points toward how diverse political opinion and culture is in Israel (something most Americans just don't realize).

im ordering those 3 movies right now.:m057:

2046 is awesome, as is its "prequel", In the Mood for Love.

Others to enjoy:
Jean de Florette & Manon of the Spring (early Gerard Depardieu)
Cinema Paradiso
Armarcord
Pretty much anything by Bergman
Kieslowski's Red & Blue (didn't see White)
Fellini's always interesting...
...as is Fritz Lang.
Ran, Hero, Rashomon, and more.

I love world cinema.:m129:

I like El Mariachi, but more interesting than the film itself is the story of its making. Most of my foreign movie exposure has been Chinese martial arts films — in addition to those mentioned above — Fearless, Hero, The Legend of Drunken Master, etc.

I like El Mariachi, but more interesting than the film itself is the story of its making. Most of my foreign movie exposure has been Chinese martial arts films

2046 is awesome, as is its "prequel", In the Mood for Love.

Others to enjoy:
Jean de Florette & Manon of the Spring (early Gerard Depardieu)
Cinema Paradiso
Armarcord
Pretty much anything by Bergman
Kieslowski's Red & Blue (didn't see White)
Fellini's always interesting...
...as is Fritz Lang.
Ran, Hero, Rashomon, and more.

I love world cinema.:m129:
Yes I saw In the Mood For Love...but I still prefer 2046.

I gotta check out the Bergman films. I heard a lot about it in my film class in college.

I've taken quite a liking to French films. I want more recommendations ):.

Oh, and I like Crouching Tiger ...and House of Flying Daggers because my celeb crush is in it haha.

^ Gee thank you ^-^!

I think I'll try that French horror film one soon

For me all of Hollywood production is foreign :D

anyways you have not yet mentioned the best from France - Amelie, Before Sunrise, Leon. From Germany all of Tom Tykwer production is great stuff (director of Run Lola Run). From Asian directors I would highly recommend Takeshi Kitano.

A few more recent good movies:
- How to Lose Friends & Alienate People (2008)
- In Bruges (2008)
- Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Last edited:
*Holds heart*

I LOVED In Bruges. That film was so underrated! Seriously. It's an *Awesome* film, and it was up for an Oscar (best screenplay). I guess you could call it a really, really *really* dark comedy. Or tragicomedy. Very much in the vein of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern.

Cidade de Deus

One of my favorite movies of all time.

* Bin-jip
* Spring, summer, fall, winter and spring
* Cashback
* Autumn Sonata
* Wings of Desire
* L'Auberge Espagnole
* The Science of Sleep
* Whale Rider
* La Tourneuse de Pages
* The Motorcycle Diaries
* Il Piccolo Diavolo
* De Battre mon Coeur s'est Arr

Cidade de Deus

One of my favorite movies of all time.
Also known as "City of God" -- awesome movie

I've taken quite a liking to French films. I want more recommendations ):.

Oh, and I like Crouching Tiger ...and House of Flying Daggers because my celeb crush is in it haha.
If you like French films you'll really like He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not or