A world with no death | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

A world with no death

With age comes wisdom... With two or three hundred years? How much wisdom could we attain?

With age comes wisdom... With two or three hundred years? How much wisdom could we attain?

I could wish for that - even hope for it - but I don't think it would happen. I think we'd end up holding our grudges longer. Although, granted, a few people would hold out for peace and some would try building societies, but there would be the same ol' folks out there who want to tear it down.

Would an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of days eventually type "Hamlet"? Maybe...but it's highly unlikely.

And where would the joy be? Eventually everyone would win the lottery, if they played. Everyone would need something bigger and better to keep them striving. As intuitives I think we'd be just fine. But for people not prone to naval gazing or meeting new people? I think...they'd decide to destroy things, just so they could rebuild it *their* way. And then when they're bored with that way, they'd choose another. They'd force some kind of change in a world that does not change, just for the sake of change.

the main reason people want to tear down society is because, very rarely does society leave people be hermits.

A world with no death would be rather depressing, from how I see it. What do you look forward to when you've done everything you wanted? It could go either way, but generally, I expect the worse from people.

Lol! If only, Shai, if only...I want my Ten Forward!

Gots to say all the negativity about living in a world without death is so, well depressing. So we tell ourselves that death is part of life, we know it happens but when someone close to us passes it's one of the most painful things.

Ya'll are looking at a half empty glass (except Shai who’s still hoping for that apocalypse) methinks. So death as part of life is something that has always been but I don’t understand why that’s such an important factor in people not doing certain things or appreciating life... How many people do stupid things regardless and how many people really appreciate life? Joy and love are not reliant or even linked to death I say, most people don’t think to hard about the consequences for death to be a factor in day-to-day thinking.

The no procreation part would be sucky except for the lack of babies crying on planes.

What do you look forward to when you've done everything you wanted?

Dunno about you but as soon as I finish one thing I've wanted to do there are 26 new things begging to be tried. There’s an infinite amount of things to do with new inventions every day I’m never going wake up one day and say, kay, I’m done, all finished with the list of things to do.

One lifetime isn't enough I say.

Terrorism gone, famine gone, diseases that kill millions, illnesses that take countless lives gone.

Not all bad yaknow.

Gots to say all the negativity about living in a world without death is so, well depressing. So we tell ourselves that death is part of life, we know it happens but when someone close to us passes it's one of the most painful things.

Ya'll are looking at a half empty glass (except Shai who’s still hoping for that apocalypse) methinks. So death as part of life is something that has always been but I don’t understand why that’s such an important factor in people not doing certain things or appreciating life... How many people do stupid things regardless and how many people really appreciate life? Joy and love are not reliant or even linked to death I say, most people don’t think to hard about the consequences for death to be a factor in day-to-day thinking.

The no procreation part would be sucky except for the lack of babies crying on planes.

Dunno about you but as soon as I finish one thing I've wanted to do there are 26 new things begging to be tried. There’s an infinite amount of things to do with new inventions every day I’m never going wake up one day and say, kay, I’m done, all finished with the list of things to do.

One lifetime isn't enough I say

But if you lived forever, i'm pretty sure that you would eventually find yourself without anything to do, I guess VR games are a possibilities to make you forget your 'woes' Idunno, I don't think living forever is a great as most people 'tend' to think

i'd finally be able to read every book ever written, and all the ones everyone is writing in the time i'm reading them, write my own and create a robot army and have adventures in space.

Much Star Trek, SG! Anyways, I don't think we would move forward much because with no illness to die from, everyone would stop research. Well, medically, it would have a great stop to things. I feel bad for those doctors.

Hm I am afraid of death. Nevertheless asuming there was a way around it, if there is no death = there is no reproduction. Because that is the cycle! You are born and are 'alive' till you die. Why? and what happens after?

Well don't look to even think about those questions, because even science only answers What Is not Why.

Death is merely a bodily end, although it could symbolize hate, time and evil.
Love does not go along with the term Death itself but merely the symbol of the term. However Love can be associated with death in the act of 'dying for the one you love' which should be more conventionally known as tragic chivalry.

what if you did not die and you could lose body parts like eyes arms legs fingers ect ect. They never grow back boy there would be some grizzly looking things out there lol I think you would become a zombie lol. I think life needs death and vice versa.. Sounds fun to think about though. Except I cant get past the facts...

Last edited:
I don't think you can have a situation where you can't die but can lose body parts. I mean one could still tolerate losing a finger or eyes but how does one reconcile losing both lungs, heart, kidneys and so forth and still remaining immortal? Does that even make sense? How about facing a complete destruction of your body whereby your brain is the only thing that remains intact? You are still immortal but what if someone then decided to split the two hemispheres of your brain? Where are "you" then? Or are there two of you? I won't pretend I know anything about human physiology but it seems to me that immortality presupposes having a body which is indestructible (presuming, of course, we are not talking about an eternal spiritual existence). Subsequently we would need no more food, or oxygen. Elements couldn't hurt us so there would be no need for shelter. Scarcity of resources would also be a thing of the past and we would live in something which would be very different from a society we have today.

I don't think anything can live forever in the flesh. In the spiritual now there is a question...

Subjects like this I tend to just say "ask how I feel about it when it happens" There are just so many factors to look at in this hypothetical world that it's just a headache waiting to happen.

How ghastly.. no children to name. Eating might prove difficult in a world with no death. Does the no death thing only apply to humans? It would be weird to watch the seasons change and watch the horses foal when my own womb would more tomb than garden. Doesn't life lose its meaning without death? What would happen to our sexual organs... I'd assume after a time we'd evolved as sexless as Barbie and Ken. Can't have creation without a little destruction.

No Sex and No Food sounds like a fate worse than death. Living in a world where everything but humans gets to grow and change and fall away sounds extremely melancholy at best. Death is a strange friend, but it's still a friend.

This was dealt with quite well in Dan Simmons's Hyperion Cantos. Especially the last two books Endymion, and Rise of Endymion.

Basically there was something called a cruciform, and it was an organic parasite of sorts. It would send out little nodes throughout the hosts body. When they died, as long as the cruciform was salvageable the person could be reconstructed memories intact. Sounds good, right? Well the downside was that the massive amount of information that was a person's body and accumulated memories needed to be stored. It was being stored by some not-so-friendly artificial intelligences that were abusing places in the universe. They're really great books, and I suggest that y'all may want to check them out. It gets kind of sciencey at times which is pretty awesome too. And to clarify, by abusing places in the universe...they had corrupted some of warp and woof of the universe, the stuff that is smaller than planck space (smallest measurable unit of distance) and planck time smallest measurable unit of time), kind of like quantum foam. But basically in order to resurrect people, they were corrupting the quantum foam (which was called "The Void Which Binds") but there were other sentient creatures, and memories that lived there...

Um...sorry to nerd out up there ^

Moral of the story...the no death thing looked really great, but it was BAD, and caused humanity to stagnate among other things...and was messing with other sentient beings....

On another completely different topic.

Can Wolverine die?? Ever?