A world with no death | INFJ Forum

A world with no death

rdeaf

Dec 7, 2008
MBTI
infj
I have been thinking lately about the pain of losing loved ones. Pets, friends, family. Waiting at the end of a long and loving relationship is loss. No way around it--right?

So imagine a world with a finite number of people, animals and plants. What if death didn't exist and these numbers never changed. How would our world be different? What would be better, what would be worse.

By working this out backwards, maybe we can get a grip on how death really affects us?. Does that make sense?

We might not ever appreciate other people fully.

I have been thinking lately about the pain of losing loved ones. Pets, friends, family. Waiting at the end of a long and loving relationship is loss. No way around it--right?

So imagine a world with a finite number of people, animals and plants. What if death didn't exist and these numbers never changed. How would our world be different? What would be better, what would be worse.

By working this out backwards, maybe we can get a grip on how death really affects us?. Does that make sense?

I think it depends on how you look at it.

It could be heaven...or it could be hell.

If it's a finite number of people, then no one could be born. No babies, no one growing up, no changes in the family, no new people to look forward to. With the same emotions, anger and hatred could run wild and it wouldn't matter if you stabbed, shot, poisoned, or otherwise bludgeoned someone because you know they'd never die (would they feel pain?). You would have an eternity of constant bloodshed and destruction, with perpetual pain and sadness every single day, with no relief. Ever.

On the other hand, you could meet every single person in the world, know them all by name, and it would take you centuries to meet and talk with everyone in your immediate city - not to mention the travel. Every tv talk show could be about knowing someone. If you essentially cared about everyone and everyone tolerated everyone, and no one had any real prejudices that mattered, it could be heaven. Every day could be a new experience with a new person, forever.

A world without death is a frightening thing to contemplate, unless it was also a world where procreation ceased at the exact moment death was eradicated, and I can't imagine that would be a positive existence, either.

The planet can't sustain us even now. If nobody died... I shudder to think.

You can checkout any time you like/But you can never leave

Would there be love if there were no death? It seems as if they are connected. I've been thinking about this since my grandparents died. Grandma first after being together for over 65 years. Grandpa was crushed and died 3 months later. I couldn't help but notice the connection between their wonderful life together (a dream marriage, they still held hands). And how the end--the first to die was equally tragic. So do we love more because our lives are temporary and we cannot replace those relationships?

Thanks for playing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Quinlan on this one. I doubt I'd be able to appreciate people/things completely!

I do not like the idea of eternal life. As much as I love Kimchi, I cannot imagine eating it for a trillion years! ): Or a world where the art of making Kimchi becomes forgotten!

Anarchy would become the norm. Without murder, Anarchy would be an incredibly stable society.

No Leadership, means no land taxes, means you can live on the land and produce enough for yourself without ever paying the government for the right to live.

Anarchy would become the norm. Without murder, Anarchy would be an incredibly stable society.

No Leadership, means no land taxes, means you can live on the land and produce enough for yourself without ever paying the government for the right to live.

I beg to differ. There are still many evil people who would steal, lie, cheat, following "an eye for an eye" type mentlites, and thus would break down very very quickly. Unless you have "perfact people" anarchy wont exsist as a functioning worldly lifestyle.

This reminds me of Aristotle's On Man In the Universe. HIs writings on ethics.

How can you steal from someone who wont ever die?

You can just take your stuff back without fear of consequences like death.

How can you steal from someone who wont ever die?

You can just take your stuff back without fear of consequences like death.

But there is the consequence of injury (assuming one has to put up a fight). Surely one wouldn't want to be blind/lame their whole life much less eternity.

Shoot. Even if limbs grew back, there's still the *pain* factor of being injured...or worse, you'd have those ubermonsters out there who simply want to continually torture people. Forever.

Could you imagine if Hitler were immortal? Or Mussolini? Or Idi Amin? If the "ultimate solution" didn't exist, I think they'd just kill for the sake of killing. Like that ol' Star Trek episode...the two guys ended up trying to kill each other for all eternity.

*Shudders*...

uh huh... but if noone died, then eventually you'd have to sit down and talk with the peoples.

Would give a whole new meaning to life in prison.

uh huh... but if noone died, then eventually you'd have to sit down and talk with the peoples.

True, eventually...but if we can't do it now, how long will it take us to change in the future? Will we end up changing, or will we simply be the same ol' nasty people we've always been...but worse? Finding new, more inventive, and crazier ways to inflict damage on each other?

I don't think people really change all that much on their own. Nasty people stay nasty...and they can get nastier. I think in the end we'd be left with a completely barren world with nothing left in it except people wandering around, naked and miserable.

It'd be a true definition of HELL.

((Wow, I'm cheery today...:m194:))