16 Common Empath Traits: Do you fit any? | INFJ Forum

16 Common Empath Traits: Do you fit any?

• Quiet achievers; talk about emotional issues as a helpful outlet

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • Overwhelmed by what they feel in the world around them so they block their feelings

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Focused outward, toward what others feel, rather than themselves

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Avoid disharmony caused by emotionally turbulent situations

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • Emotionally sensitive to violence and general chaos

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • Sensitive to loud noise or sounds e.g. television

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Struggle to understand acts of cruelty and crime that involve hurting others

• Struggle to comprehend suffering in the world

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Often work as volunteers, with people, animals or the environment

• Expressive - often found in areas of music or the arts

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Have the ability to draw others to them (unintentionally)

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • Can be good listeners - generally have an interest in other people

Votes: 35 92.1%
  • Can be moody or have large mood swings due to overwhelming thoughts, feelings and emotion

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • Likely to have had, other paranormal experiences in their life

• Daydreamers that have difficulty keeping focused

• Frequently experience d

Votes: 29 76.3%

• Total voters

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy

1. Empaths are quiet achievers but expressive in area's of emotional connection. They find that talking about emotional issues is a great outlet that aids in understanding themselves and others.
2. Some empaths can be the opposite of what an empath 'should' be because they are overwhelmed or unable to handle emotion and what they feel in the world around them so they block their feelings.
3. They can be focused outward, toward what others feel, rather than themselves. This is a common trait to many people who have not gone through a process of self development.
4. They avoid disharmony caused by emotionally turbulent situations. This type of situation can easily create an uncomfortable feeling because an empath feels this emotion.
5. Empaths are emotionally sensitive to violence and general chaos.
6. Empaths are sensitive to loud noise and television. In particular, television programs that depict emotional drama like the news and police shows.
7. They struggle to comprehend acts of cruelty and crime that involves hurting others.
8. They struggle to comprehend suffering in the world and are often idealists who theorize about fixing the worlds problems.
9. Are often found working as volunteers, with people, animals or the environment.
10. They are expressive so they can often be found in areas of music or the arts.
11. They often have the ability to draw others to them. This includes children and animals as they have a warmth and compassion that is beyond normal You may find that strangers always talk to you if you are an empath.
12. They can be good listeners as they generally have an interest in other people.
13. Empaths can be moody or have large mood swings due to overwhelming thoughts, feelings and emotion.
14. They are likely to have had, other paranormal experiences in their life. This could be astral projection, psychic ability or a variety of other experiences.
15. Empaths are daydreamers that have difficulty keeping focused. This is common with people who deal more IN emotion and neglect other area's of their mind.
16. Like many people on a spiritual path Empaths frequently experience d

Last edited:
1. Empaths are quiet achievers but expressive in area's of emotional connection. They find that talking about emotional issues is a great outlet that aids in understanding themselves and others.
2. Some empaths can be the opposite of what an empath 'should' be because they are overwhelmed or unable to handle emotion and what they feel in the world around them so they block their feelings.
7. They struggle to comprehend acts of cruelty and crime that involves hurting others.
8. They struggle to comprehend suffering in the world and are often idealists who theorize about fixing the worlds problems.
9. Are often found working as volunteers, with people, animals or the environment.
10. They are expressive so they can often be found in areas of music or the arts.
11. They often have the ability to draw others to them. This includes children and animals as they have a warmth and compassion that is beyond normal You may find that strangers always talk to you if you are an empath.
12. They can be good listeners as they generally have an interest in other people.
13. Empaths can be moody or have large mood swings due to overwhelming thoughts, feelings and emotion.
14. They are likely to have had, other paranormal experiences in their life. This could be astral projection, psychic ability or a variety of other experiences.

I might go through these number by number at some point, but yea the majority apply to me.

Poll added so everyone can check as many statements which they think apply.

3. They can be focused outward, toward what others feel, rather than themselves. This is a common trait to many people who have not gone through a process of self development.
  4. They avoid disharmony caused by emotionally turbulent situations. This type of situation can easily create an uncomfortable feeling because an empath feels this emotion.
  6. Empaths are sensitive to loud noise and television. In particular, television programs that depict emotional drama like the news and police shows.
  11. They often have the ability to draw others to them. This includes children and animals as they have a warmth and compassion that is beyond normal. You may find that strangers always talk to you if you are an empath.
  15. Empaths are daydreamers that have difficulty keeping focused. This is common with people who deal more IN emotion and neglect other area's of their mind.

I'm a bit skeptical about this list. I think that most people can check at least one or two of these off; it doesn't necessarily mean they're an empath.

This.

Only a few of these things on the list fit me. Yet, I know I am very empathetic (to a fault). I am just very jaded with it, and go to great lengths to avoid it.

Should i make the poll public so that everyone can see who chose what and no one will have to type out the numbers or highlight the text?

All but three apply to me. I've never had a paranormal experience, and I don't get overwhelmed by emotional contact. I also don't have mood swings, I am pretty emotionally static but I can get in a rut pretty often.

I've had surreal experiences, but nothing like astral projection or anything. I've been pretty good at predicting things, but not nearly on a psychic level.

I think that the more you check, the more towards empath you might be. Nearly all humans are somewhat empathetic to others, some to higher extents.

• I avoid turbulent emotional situations in my personal life (such as fights)
  • I'm emotionally sensitive to violence and chaos
  • Frequently beat my head off the wall trying to comprehend acts of cruelty and violent crimes as well as suffering in the world
  • I do some volunteer work dealing with survivors of violent crimes
  • I'm a pretty good listener
  • A daydreamer
  • Deja vu occasionally
I used to get overwhelmed with feelings and just mope around.

But now I just make fun of everything and so it appears that I have a horrific sense of humor and don't take anything seriously, but it's just a way to diffuse it.

When I'm not trying to settle down with humor, I volunteer and my mind flips from dealing with my emotional reactions to the needs of others.

Last edited:
I felt like I was all of those.

I ticked all of them.

I agree with most of these except I don't experience deja vu very often and I am not aware of synchronicities very often although I believe that they happen. One of my strongest is: Struggle to understand why others hurt one another. This really bothers me and I sometimes retreat into my own mind or distract myself to block out my reactions to violence or human/animal suffering. Just can't deal with it :m095:

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16.

Last edited:
1. Empaths are quiet achievers but expressive in area's of emotional connection.

3. They can be focused outward, toward what others feel, rather than themselves.

4. They avoid disharmony caused by emotionally turbulent situations.

6. Empaths are sensitive to loud noise and television.

8. They struggle to comprehend suffering in the world.

11. They often have the ability to draw others to them.

14. They are likely to have had, other paranormal experiences in their life.

15. Empaths are daydreamers that have difficulty keeping focused.

16. Frequently experience d