Nov 7, 2010
MBTI
LITA^2
Enneagram
Type 9w8, yeaaa :3
Who are you anyways?

What defines you:
What are you morals, values?
Do external factors influence who you are?
Are you dependant on other to some degree to uphold your identity?
Do you, for example play certain roles? Do you consciously adopt certain characteristics that mark them as yourself?
Have you noticed some subconscious actions/thoughts of yourself that determine who you are? (Perhaps others told you, or you read something)
+ anything I missed~~

I knooow, this is such a personal question.... So.... :) If you don't want to answer then you just have to say "I'm a monkey" It will add up to your post-count, I'm serious, it does.

Oh, and I have a poll asking you what you think life means to you, personally.

Reactions: Galileo and bickelz
Who are you anyways?
What defines you:
1.What are you morals, values?
2.Do external factors influence who you are?
3.Are you dependant on other to some degree to uphold your identity?
4.Do you, for example play certain roles? Do you consciously adopt certain characteristics that mark them as yourself?
5.Have you noticed some subconscious actions/thoughts of yourself that determine who you are? (Perhaps others told you, or you read something)

I love this thread, first off. Many reps for you @Oranguh.

1. Let people be and decide for themselves what their morals are. Accept people for who they truly are. Universal health care and a heavily regulated market economy. Liberalism. Tend to those that are closest to you and if you're raising a family, do not try to grow the garden the way you want it to be. Let it blossom into what it is meant to. And also, "it's not important what you do, just important that you do it".

2. On many levels, yes. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of shit.

3. I used to be, in a sense. My dad was very influential on me when I was younger and he kind of lived through me in sports. He tried to recreate the relationship he had with his father. When my parents divorced, I realized that all of that was super effed up so I changed. Now, as much as I am like my parents, I am different from them in so many ways. I'm more like my mom, but with opposing opinions, which is why we either get along great or scream at each other because we both have to be right.

I don't use these people to hold up my identity though. There are people who I identify with in regards but they don't hold me up.

4. Oh yes. This is hard for me not to do. I spend time wishing I were someone else or in a different position. That's my Enneagram 4w5 at work. So, I take on habits of people around me that I notice and like. I've had a lot of trouble confronting myself about who I truly am in the past. More than I have realized. But now, it's coming into focus.

5. Questions about noticing your subconscious are very difficult. I can't really answer this one. I've been wanting to get more into touch with my subconscious through dream memory and lucid dreaming. Right now, I don't remember what I dream and that needs to change because dreaming is the best window into the subconscious and the subconscious is the window to your true self.

EDIT: Life is everything but a race. It's a game, a struggle, a void, a personal mission and a beautiful waltz all mixed into one.

Reactions: Oranguh and Galileo
Who are you anyways?

What defines you:
Do you, for example play certain roles? Do you consciously adopt certain characteristics that mark them as yourself?
Have you noticed some subconscious actions/thoughts of yourself that determine who you are? (Perhaps others told you, or you read something)
+ anything I missed~~

I knooow, this is such a personal question.... So.... If you don't want to answer then you just have to say "I'm a monkey" It will add up to your post-count, I'm serious, it does.

I don't think I can answer all your questions, not because I don't want to, but because I don't know. I'll give it a go though. I don't think I can consciously tell you what defines me as such, but I think when people listen to my songs and read the lyrics they get a very good idea of the type of person I am and therefore what defines me. I believe my experiences have defined part of my character, but also my compassion for all kinds of people and my love for challenging people on their own beliefs about who and what I am. I'm always seeking, always learning. It's not enough for me to just read about things on the internet. I want to get out there and do them and see them, even if it's difficult. I often see myself as a loner or apart from other people.

My morals are of my own making, not anything dictated to me by a church or any other group. they stem from what I believe to be right and what I believe is the correct way to treat others. Some of my core beliefs are:

Never judge someone by who they appear to be. you have no right to judge someone unless you know who they are inside.

Speak out against things you are against. otherwise you may as well be supporting them if you don't make your opinions known.

What goes around comes around. If you want to be treated fairly, then treat other people in the same manner. If you're horrible and others are horrible to you, you have only yourself to blame.

Wherever you can lend a helping hand, lend it.

I have other morals of course, but these are my most important ones. Personally I value having one partner and being faithful to that partner in all ways, and to also respect oneself sexually, as in not just sleep with anyone you just happen to be with, but to save yourself for the partners you can see yourself having a long relationship with. I am pro-choice so I will always advocate for euthanasia and abortion.

I don'tthink I depend on others to uphold my identity or anything like that. For as long as I can remember I haven't been a real part of any group, even when I have been a part of a family or a church I have felt like an outsider, and that's true of my own family too. I have never felt able to belong anywhere, and so hense I am incredibly independent and I think this is true of my identity. I am not easily swayed by the oppinions and moral standings of other people.

as for subconscious stuff, I'm not too sure. I do tend to turn my experiences into songs all the time now, and I'm the sort of person who can think in lyrics as it were. It's not something i have to consciously think of anymore. things that happen to me end up in song, though most of the time only in my head and they go away before I can write them down.

I also subconsciously lash out at any idea of needing help with almost everything in my life. If anyone suggests to me that someone help me with this or that i just get this feeling of anger and I dismiss the idea without even thinking about it, my need for independent existance is so deeply intertwined with who I am.

Reactions: Oranguh
i am a circus

a dance was the closest that came to what I think life is.

I think it's a song that you compose the lyrics and melody to and then spend the rest of your life singing....

I guess that I'll allow it if he actually explained himself :3 :3 :3

@bamf
There were multiple options so I picked multiple answers. It was my mission to make a game out of the question!

It's obviously a game and a competition.

38_games_life.jpg

Reactions: bamf
I think it's an algorithm

That implies it's some sort of code/formula. Which one can be aware of to it's every detail or stand in awe for it's overwhelming complexity. The question that arises next is "What does life then mean to you?". I mean, it's a very personal question and I'm sure the answer adds something to your identity.

--------------------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The reason I made this thread was well, I think about this quite often.

I often ponder what I would have been if I were influenced by others in attempt to filter out which I think is "genuinely" myself and not.
But then again I pondered the validity of this claim of "genuineness", I mean, yea, even that's not definite.
I want to know what identity is for others.
In a sense it's asking the about the alternative universe where X is different (or someone other than your mother for that matter). "Hasn't your mother ever told you to not do X?"

I want to know to what extent this claim is valid :0 On top of that! Can I ever find out with certainty? I mean, I probably think to myself "I know who I am, I am myself and blah blah blah". But really now, could I ever be so certain? After asking that things never seemed so certain. Anyways,~ Thanks for the replies so far.

Also.
I added dancing because it's very metaphorical and has many different interpretations.

For example. The Hindu God of destruction and "change", Shiva, is often depicted as dancing due to his "dynamic" nature. (cyclics and stuff)

But people can also see dancing as choreographical and rhythmic which is more "constant".
Dancing can also be seen as something "adaptive" because it's a "cause and effect thing" of music. Music can be seen as the things given by life, and you, the dancer, can "dance" to the music in your own style (usually in accordance to the song).
It can also be seen as something "mystical" because yea... dancing~ you know mystical ooooh~ (lol I got lazy)
Anyways, all in all people usually reflect the things they see in themselves. With such an ambiguous adjective as music~ I just like, felt that would be interesting. (Interpretations from others and stuff :p, very interesting)

Who are you anyways?

What defines you:

1. What are you morals, values?
  2. Do external factors influence who you are?
  3. Are you dependent on other to some degree to uphold your identity?
  4. Do you, for example play certain roles? Do you consciously adopt certain characteristics that mark them as yourself?
  5. Have you noticed some subconscious actions/thoughts of yourself that determine who you are? (Perhaps others told you, or you read something)
+ anything I missed~~

1. I believe in free will, that everyone has the choice to follow in what they want to. I am also a strong advocate of equality. My personal morals and values come from my Christian beliefs and conduct.

2. Yes and No. Yes because I live in the world, my psychical being has been sculpted by the world. No because as a Christian I believe that my identity (my soul) has been changed by the holy spirit, which is primarily an internal process.

3. Yes (to a degree). Psychology has had a major influence in my understanding of who I am and who others are.

4. One thing that will always remain the same will be human nature. My characteristics are the same as millions who have walked before me and who are around me. There's nothing really that unique about me, except prehaps that I fit into a smaller minority of people.

5. Same as above. Yes I have noticed many things about my subconscious, thats where I spend much of my time when I'm thinking, but I'm not surprised by the amount of people that can do the same. It just takes practice and forcing yourself to ask questions. I often express this inner world through my art work.

As for the poll I choose 'life is a personal mission'.

I voted all of them except for the void.

I base my identity largely on propriety.

What defines you:

There are too many to list, but every moral of mine is rooted in my love for God. From there, it's intuitive.

Yes. I believe that nobody can live totally independent of the world around them.
For me, the ones that are most prevalent are the arts (any expression of ideas or impressions that are open to interpretation), things that I see myself in, the presence and 'vibe' of the people around me is always a deciding factor too.

No. In fact, I spend more time trying to escape from peoples' expectations of my identity than I do trying to get people to affirm it. I want to feel like I approve of myself, not that others approve of me, which has proven to be both a positive and a negative.

I adapt characteristics of other people that I spend my time with. In order to 'get inside someone's head,' I start to pick up on and kind of mirror certain aspects of their persona. This usually makes people feel comfortable, like I'm at least attempting to understand where they're coming from by validating who they are. If I end up liking certain aspects of a persona (even of a fictional character), and see a sort of harmony between them and me, I will sometimes adopt their characteristics into myself, but in a more 'me' kind of way. Sometimes it's conscious, sometimes it isn't really. Most of the time, I present myself differently than I want to come across because I'm hiding certain characteristics that feel uncomfortable, potentially embarrassing, or inappropriate. So, my role playing mostly happens in my head. I generally feel more like myself when I'm shifting roles within my own mind.

1.What are you morals, values?

I only have one absolute moral I uphold: do not do unto others what you would not have them do unto you.

2.Do external factors influence who you are?
3.Are you dependant on other to some degree to uphold your identity?

Heavily. When isolated, I'm like a little black hole, sucking up all energy from my surroundings. A brain in a jar. When juxtaposed with others, I'm a person. I have a personality. I have views, opinions, likes and dislikes. I live.

4.Do you, for example play certain roles? Do you consciously adopt certain characteristics that mark them as yourself?

There was a thread here a while back, about "masks" people wear in certain social situations. My initial thought was that I don't wear any masks, and I am honest with myself and everyone else I talk to, but that's not true. Rather, I have so many masks, that I've lost track of where one ends and my real personality begins. My personality is a set of masks and a collection of behavior, habits and mannerisms that others expect of me.

5.Have you noticed some subconscious actions/thoughts of yourself that determine who you are? (Perhaps others told you, or you read something)

I'm constantly adapting. I'm fickle.