Your age vs. others' perception of your age | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Your age vs. others' perception of your age

I think I look like my 35 years says I should, but my mood can drastically change that. When I'm silly and playful people always assume I'm so much younger. When I'm melancholy with a case of the mopes or insomnia is wreaking havoc on me, I look much, much older. My recipe for eternal youth: silliness in mass quantities. :D

I am clean shaven because of work requirements. I have a healthy lifestyle. I'm not a big dude by any stretch of the imagination. 5'8 and 155 lbs. People typically guess I'm in my early 20s.

I'll be 27 this year. Sometimes I feel drastically older. Ancient, even. My child like wonder and imagination keep me young, though. I'll be the same when I'm older. Just a big kid, sometimes.

People I work with have started calling me sir. In an environment where thats not the norm. I do not mind it too much. It just reminds me I am not where I should be.
I really need to get out an have fun when I am away from work.

I think my family thats left are the only people who see me as younger because thats how they remember me.

I think of myself as young at heart, old of mind. Id like to think its a good combination but... I have achieved so little of what I expected at this point.

I'm getting called maam more often lately. Some cases I know it's just politeness, but it makes me wonder. On the other hand, I have a few people who are not that much older than me calling me "dear" and I wonder how young they think I am. Sometimes, I'm so amused that I'll ask a random stranger how old they think I am. I've gotten late 20s, early 30s most recently, But can you really trust that? Then someone said I look 40, but he was . . . (insert choice words here :) ). I don't mind looking younger sometimes, but it's annoying when people, think they're talking to their children. Age is experience, attitude, perspective. The number or look alone doesn't define someone. Sometimes, I feel 16. Sometimes. 45, maybe 50. I can actually see myself at 50, the type of person I would be. I like it.

Reactions: PintoBean
I am 39 and really don't look my age, but as [MENTION=13729]Free[/MENTION] mentioned, this can have a lot to do with behavior/life-style. In my case, I counteract the social anxiety I feel due to extreme extroversion by being goofy and fake E. This makes me seem younger. That and the jeggings combined with certain other investments, have some effect (or so I tell myself). When people treat me like I might be older (as in with respect that you reserve for someone who is a wee bit older and knows a few things), it usually has to do with letting my self-confident "I" personality come out and just being quiet, but assuredly myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Free
People often take a short glance at me and assume I must be a minor......until I start talking to them. They then find an excuse to leave.

Reactions: PintoBean
I act somewhat cutely at times, because at heart, I'm just a five-year-old playing with her Lego world. But if you engage in thoughtful conversation with me, you'll see that I can sound quite mature for my age; friends have commented that I seem to have seen too much of the world too soon.

People often take a short glance at me and assume I must be a minor......until I start talking to them. They then find an excuse to leave.

Errrr, sorry. I almost finished reading your post, but then I just remembered... I have to go plant some cilantro... outside... in February... in wintertime... in the Northern United States.......

e1jUqTq.jpg

When I was in my early 20s at a doctor visit, I was asked to have my guardian come into the room to sign a consent. I had one colleague scoff at me a few years ago upon meeting me at a meeting and say, "You are the [title]?" Then remarked I looked too young. (It wasnt a high powered job at all. Slightly above entry level actually. She was bizarre.) I was closer to 30, then. Every now and then a client will ask and be surprised. I dress my age. I don't act young and cutesy. I'm actually a pretty serious person when I am working. But I have noticed I'm getting white hairs. Not many, but I've plucked 2 or 3 this year.

Last edited:
In Sweden, there are government monopoly stores that sell alcohol. Minimum age is 20, but they make random checks to be sure. I had to show my ID once when I was 30 years old.

outward perceptions...people always assume I am a tot...but I'm not.
pass the surface and I'm a thousand years old if I'm a day :)

Last edited:
People always think I'm younger than I am. Once I was standing with my 13 year old sister (she's taller than me) and someone thought I was the younger sibling lol :) People comment that my face looks the same as it did in pictures of me at 11 years old.

When I was younger, people thought I was older. (I was 13, people thought I was around 18.)

Nowadays... People always think I'm younger. I'm 24 and people perceive me as 18 or even younger. Weirdest thing that happens often is people confusing me with my 15-year old sister. o_O

Well .. at least I don't have to start using Botox soon.

The estimates I receive range from 21-27.

But everyone over 25 refers to me as 'bab', whyyyyy.

I aint your bab!

The ID laws really piss me over here. I should be able buy anything I want legally at the age of 18 (fags used to be 16), but to prove that I'm 18 I have to look 25 or over. Fucking 'Challenge 25'. I carry my ID, I never get IDed. The minute I go somewhere presuming I won't need my ID, they fucking ID me!

And I'll be like "I don't have my ID, but I can assure you that I'm 24. Born in 91 me"

And they'll say:

"Sorry bab, you do look 24, but you don't look 25, come back with your ID"

Like WTF. Surely if you believe I'm 24, there shouldn't be an issue with me exercising my right to make adult purchases.

Whats with the 7 year window, I could maybe sympathise with the Challenge 21.

Last edited:
People always think I'm a few years older than I am.

I think unless an INFJ has features which make them look younger, then they will probably be deemed a little 'older', if not physically, at least older 'in spirit'.

"Oh, thou ole soul."

Yet then again, I can be so silly that people think I'm so young they even question if I've ever come into existence at all.

People always think I'm a few years older than I am.

I think unless an INFJ has features which make them look younger, then they will probably be deemed a little 'older', if not physically, at least older 'in spirit'.

"Oh, thou ole soul."

Yet then again, I can be so silly that people think I'm so young they even question if I've ever come into existence at all.

I'm 36 and people are often surprised by that. I'm told I look 25. When I'm comfortable, I can act off the wall insane. That's usually when I get asked if I'm 12... or 7... or told I need therapy. But they laugh their asses off and that's what's important

I'm 36 and people are often surprised by that. I'm told I look 25. When I'm comfortable, I can act off the wall insane. That's usually when I get asked if I'm 12... or 7... or told I need therapy. But they laugh their asses off and that's what's important

There's a spiritual strand of thought in Jewish and Christian mysticism that involves the concept of spiritually progressing by way of maturing, but which ultimately culminates in becoming childlike - simple and filled with easy awe and joy. Some Rabbis would eventually do such crazy things in the public squares that people thought they were mad (and maybe some were), but they were just been kids, and were seeking to dismiss the grand accolades people would bestow on them 'as holy and proper men'. When people are free enough to be themselves and whip that inner child out, it's a spectacle to behold! (But yes, I need to be comfortable enough too, in order 'to go to town' on it). Everyone needs to wee their pants with hysterics every now and again. Been told one needs therapy following such bouts of silliness, is one of the greatest compliments one can receive. Speaking of which, you better book yourself in.

There's a spiritual strand of thought in Jewish and Christian mysticism that involves the concept of spiritually progressing by way of maturing, but which ultimately culminates in becoming childlike - simple and filled with easy awe and joy. Some Rabbis would eventually do such crazy things in the public squares that people thought they were mad (and maybe some were), but they were just been kids, and were seeking to dismiss the grand accolades people would bestow on them 'as holy and proper men'. When people are free enough to be themselves and whip that inner child out, it's a spectacle to behold! (But yes, I need to be comfortable enough too, in order 'to go to town' on it). Everyone needs to wee their pants with hysterics every now and again. Been told one needs therapy following such bouts of silliness, is one of the greatest compliments one can receive. Speaking of which, you better book yourself in.

I'm not sure what it's called in Jewish mysticism but I believe it is called fool for or in Christ if I'm not mistaken. When I was a kidI used to hate when people said I needed therapy. Now, I do take it as a compliment, especially when it's followed by, "You say what we are all thinking, but are afraid too!" That kind of foolishness only comes out after a period of observation and feeling everyone out so to speak, to see what they can handle.