You look like an INFJ/INTJ/ESFP/ENTJ etc etc BS! | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

You look like an INFJ/INTJ/ESFP/ENTJ etc etc BS!

Seriously you believe that VH was able to get 35% of full types from pure luck? The average score would be 6.25%. To get nearly 30% more is quite impressive. It's also rather a coincidence that the guy who's been learning MBTI for quite a while manages to get a result better than the average by some margin. That takes some faith to believe imo.

As we're on the subject of faith, unless you're omnipotent ignoring advice from those that know more about a certain subject than you is a ridiculous position to take.

Uhh, yeah I dont argue with people whos view is that I should just listen to the guy I think knows more then me... I trust, but verify. I question and seek answers. I am not comfortable with buying things on faith. I never was.

Furthermore I am not going to argue about whether or not someone getting something right on an online test is somehow proof that thier claim is true. its not unless he can explain it.

I have ways to explain his results but I will not bother since

A. Its irrelevant
B. I like VH and dont want to get nasty with him
C. Its irrelevant.

Ugh that test has horrible quality photos. How can you do it when you can't make out the face clearly?

For whatever it is worth: when being a useful skill it is sufficient to be able to do it occasionally and know when you can do it. If I can only do it 10% of the time, but that 10% has accuracy 95%, its quite useful. Raw accuracy tests on random photos is not necessarily useful, you also need to be able to skip photos where you know you don't know.

Huh?

If you can do it 10% of the time and the 10% is only accurate 95 % of the time, cant you just simplify that to you can do it 9% of the time?

Getting it 10% of the time isnt very reliable either.

Its like Anchorman: 60% of the time it works everytime. lol

Uhh, yeah I dont argue with people whos view is that I should just listen to the guy I think knows more then me... I trust, but verify. I question and seek answers.

You don't question though, you just ignore. Here's your reply to VH's statistics:

You sure did get lucky, not sure how that explains it possible though.

You just brushed it aside as pure luck rather than actually questioning how it could be done, which to me is buying things on faith. If you're not going to just take it, then the best way to learn is get involved. Try it yourself, then ask how it's done, practice, and see if there's improvement. If you don't trust anyone's judgement than your own this is the only way to learn about things.

Hell I've got into all sorts of mumbo jumbo before. Astrology, tarot, ect. It taught me a bit about cold reading and consequentially, how these things work.

You don't question though, you just ignore. Here's your reply to VH's statistics:

You just brushed it aside as pure luck rather than actually questioning how it could be done, which to me is buying things on faith. If you're not going to just take it, then the best way to learn is get involved. Try it yourself, then ask how it's done, practice, and see if there's improvement. If you don't trust anyone's judgement than your own this is the only way to learn about things.

Hell I've got into all sorts of mumbo jumbo before. Astrology, tarot, ect. It taught me a bit about cold reading and consequentially, how these things work.

Again, what does his test result have to do with the conversation at hand? Am I missing something?

What does him doing well in an online guessing game have to do with Type expressing itself physically in people? And dont psycho analyze me, are you sure youre a T? You dont seem to be objective, or even care about the logic behind any of this, just that feelings are getting messy, truth is, no ones feelings should be involved in this at all.

This is a good topic to discuss, and I see an actual objective use for it, I want people to stop using MBTI like astrology. it should be about inquiry and study not "this is what an INTP looks like" hocus pocus. Look at his furrowed brow... i mean jesus.. its not even psuedo science.

Last edited:
Again, what does his test result have to do with the conversation at hand? Am I missing something?

What does him doing well in an online guessing game have to do with Type expressing itself physically in people? And dont psycho analyze me, are you sure youre a T? You dont seem to be objective, or even care about the logic behind any of this, just that feelings are getting messy, truth is, no ones feelings should be involved in this at all.

This is a good topic to discuss, and I see an actual objective use for it, I want people to stop using MBTI like astrology. it should be about inquiry and study not "this is what an INTP looks like" hocus pocus. Look at his furrowed brow... i mean jesus.. its not even psuedo science.

Oh you want to go back to your OP? Okay then I'll go back to my first reply when I said it wasn't in physical features at all. I would have thought you'd agree with this, but no. You seem so insistant on winning whatever personal battle you're fighting in this thread that you challenged me saying I'm basing my views on faith.

Now you challenge my T-ness? "No one's feelings should be involved in this at all." Okay, how about you provide some logical evidence to the contrary of whatever the fuck you're arguing. In fact I don't even know what you're trying to prove any more other than you being an argumentative dipshit.

Reactions: Reon
[mods]All right, boys - discussion is ok, name-calling not so much. Keep it balanced for the sake of the discussion. Thanks![/mods]

My point has been pretty consistent, if you arent following along closely I suggest you read the entire thread. you seemed to think it was pertinent to jump in and tell me I was wrong because VH is right or soemthing to that nature...

But thanks for agreeing with me, Type doesn't manifest itself physically, at least not consistently enough that its able to be said that it does. So all that hocus pocus about facial expressions and deep eyes or furrowed brows is just that. hocus pocus.

My point has been pretty consistent, if you arent following along closely I suggest you read the entire thread. you seemed to think it was pertinent to jump in and tell me I was wrong because VH is right or soemthing to that nature...

I wasn't arguing with the entire thread, just the point where you considered VH's results as purely luck. Hence the reason I quoted it.

You can type people through photos, but not through physical features. Having a big nose has nothing to do with type. The way you act, express yourself, pose, ect does have some bearing. When in a situation with a group of people, I's tend to tense up and whatever expressions can seem forced, whereas people with a strong E preference will look more comfortable and natural.

Why does it seem like magic to N types? Because there is so much information to assess in the picture. You have to view the situation, expression, pose, what it all indicates, ect. This come's naturally to N types as they easily grasp the big picture in one go, rather than S's who work on the details and go outwards. To a lot of N types this seems like 'magic' due to the very nature of intuition. In reality it's just the way of processing information. Also goes to explain why VH is good at it while I totally suck.

I did try to get this point across in my post, perhaps not well enough, but I do take offence to accusations that I base anything on faith.

It's more of a case where they are agreeing with my statement, where as you are disagreeing with my statement, therefore they are disagreeing with your statement. No one is taking personal sides here, merely debating an issue, which I've been assuming you are curious about because you've been asking questions and I've been trying to answer them. I'm not taking any of this personally. Everyone has the right to whatever opinion they want. I've been involved in this thread because it seemed that perfectly sincere and innocent questions were being asked. I will always try to help people understand something if I can.

But thanks for agreeing with me, Type doesn't manifest itself physically, at least not consistently enough that its able to be said that it does. So all that hocus pocus about facial expressions and deep eyes or furrowed brows is just that. hocus pocus.

Again, it's not hocus pocus. I'm not saying "an INTP looks like this" nor "an INTP has these physical features" ...I'm saying "an INTP tends to make that particular facial expression - because I know INTPs, and I've noticed that they tend to share the tendency to make that particular facial expression" It's subtle, very subtle, but it's there.

To address the physical explanation... The nervous system is redundant. This is so that if you lose the primary nerve path in one part of your body, there are other paths that can take over the lost one, and allow you to continue functioning. For each part of the body, there are multiple nervous system connections. The muscles in the face are no exception, and due to the fact that the nervous system is more interconnected with the brain than any other part of the body, as well as the fact that no part of the body is used to express our thoughts and feelings more than the face, then it is no wonder that there are subtle subconscious nervous system connections between the mind and the face.

As proof, I spent about an hour clicking these images again, and got only slightly reduced percentages from the last time I took it.

Jung/MBTI Photo Typing Test Results
single type: 319/385 (83%)
full type: 30/97 (31%)

Jung/MBTI Photo Typing Test Results
single type: 189/216 (88%)
full type: 19/54 (35%)

I would have gotten a lot more correct, but most of my full type 'misses' were one letter off, as I've mentioned before, usually on the I and E axis... which implies that the people who submitted these photos are just as likely to have have mistyped themselves as I have.

Still my percentages speak for themselves. 35% full type accuracy out of 16 possible outcomes? ...clearly I'm keying into something, and this can be done.
That's really impressive.

Multiple runs would further validate those results. And while VH is probably the best at this exercise, the rest of us could help with the sample size: if everyone is at least getting a higher percentage than random selection would produce, then it's pretty well proven that there is something in the photos hinting at type. (That may be clothing or posture in some cases, but those factors are minimized by the cropping.)

For the record, I got around 55% single type and 18% full type the first time I tried it. I'll do it again later.

And again, back to the "If I can't do it, it's not possible" argument...

Can you do this?

[youtube]5MeiwLLZjDo[/youtube]

...because clearly this guy can.

That guy needs to be shot as he's clearly a danger to society.

but how do you manage to actually hit him?

AH-64%20Apache.jpg

Yeah, I tend to agree with Billy's original post -- I don't think you can tell that much about personality by appearances. And also, when people pose for pictures, they usually assume a "I am now posing for a picture" expression, which masks personality. Or else, they assume a "Get that %^&ing camera out of my face" expression... which I suppose can be somewhat related to personality, but it could also be someone having a bad day.

You can argue that self-adornment choices, expression and body language are clues to personality, and they certainly can be, but they are also clues as to what we consider normal -- our culture.

Don't we have twins on the forum? Isn't Laurie a twin? Well, her sister looks exactly like her and they have different MBTI types. I'd have a tough time telling them apart if they were dressed alike and posed similarly.

Also, my two sons are (I'm almost certain) an extrovert and an introvert and they have very similar expressions. They are three years apart, but still, family members can't tell the difference between photos of them taken at the same age. I can, of course, but I'm their mother.

I think on the whole, the judging personality by photos thing is largely but not completely BS. No offense.

Excellent point, my nieces are developing personalities as well and theyre also twins and they have utterly different personalities already. One is agressive and impatient anfd I swear to god when you deny her something she hits you in the face if shes close enough my brother (her father was saying that she IS hitting you and you HAVE to check her when she does that properly) I had no idea...

but the other one is so calm and has terrible separation anxiety for her mother.

Also awesome points on culture, I was trying to get at that sort of with the subconscious thing how we are affected by peoples mannerisms around us. I know my own mannerism are compared to 4 or 5 men in my family especially facial expressions, although most of the men in my family are not a thing like me personality wise.

I am so sure that classifying MBTI by looks is so bunk that I cant even believe most of the results people can get on those tests, for one thing the test doesnt seem like its offering a good sample... 1 posed picture per person? I would want to look at 100s of photos of the same person if I was going to even begin to try to assume their type from a photo.

But this man...he tops them all.

He blows. My. MIND.

[youtube]7lPrj-dq6hM[/youtube]

I wasn't arguing with the entire thread, just the point where you considered VH's results as purely luck. Hence the reason I quoted it.

You can type people through photos, but not through physical features. Having a big nose has nothing to do with type. The way you act, express yourself, pose, ect does have some bearing. When in a situation with a group of people, I's tend to tense up and whatever expressions can seem forced, whereas people with a strong E preference will look more comfortable and natural.

Why does it seem like magic to N types? Because there is so much information to assess in the picture. You have to view the situation, expression, pose, what it all indicates, ect. This come's naturally to N types as they easily grasp the big picture in one go, rather than S's who work on the details and go outwards. To a lot of N types this seems like 'magic' due to the very nature of intuition. In reality it's just the way of processing information. Also goes to explain why VH is good at it while I totally suck.

I did try to get this point across in my post, perhaps not well enough, but I do take offence to accusations that I base anything on faith.

Its called fact checking. You either do it, or you dont... there is a lot of data to be compiled from a persons photograph true, but how much of that data is corrupt? Clothing, facial expression, etc etc is all attributable to external factors, you cannot actually see the type of person they are because theyre 1st off, posing, 2nd off wearing clothing that really reflects minimal choice when you factor in culture and access to garments. The deep foreboding eyes that Josie has as an INFP on Page 6 are the SAME EXACT deep foreboding eyes that her Great Uncle Joe Smithy had and he was a sadistic ENTJ...

This is just like how people attribute human characteristics to thier dogs, ohhh look hes mad at you because you made him wear socks... No, hes confused and humiliated by the pack, hes a dog... not a person. If the person who dressed him up that way handed him a bone he would be a happy dog. Dogs are not people... but we as humans tend to, ahem whats the word. PROJECT ourselves onto other things.

Those deep foreboding eyes arent you seeing an INFP slyly having deep eyes, what you are seeing is a person with a specific genetic trait, and the deep and foreboding is coming from... ding ding ding. YOU.

If thats not the case then please by all means explain.

As for VH's post, he DID get lucky. or he lied. One or the other, I choose to believe lucky.