You look like an INFJ/INTJ/ESFP/ENTJ etc etc BS! | INFJ Forum

You look like an INFJ/INTJ/ESFP/ENTJ etc etc BS!

Billy

Contents Under Pressure
Donor
Jul 18, 2009
CT
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
I want empirical evidence that type, personality and physical looks all coincide somehow scientifically or even remotely logically.

It is a HUGE pet peeve of mine to see people turn MBTI into astrology.

Lets fight it out here, 2 ideas enter, 1 idea leaves.

I say that looks and type are unrelated and pretending that they are is silly.

:m075:

yes INFJs have such deep eyes blah blah blah, its BS! You can say that of any type! prove it!

The member pictures thread of every type-specific forum I've seen includes comments about how that particular type must be an unusually good-looking one.

Selection and confirmation biases. They're everywhere.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Clearly, but on this forum I would expect better, I personally have a hard time seeing self professed INFJs claim that someone looks like a specific type. It doesnt make sense, its just dressing... how does a personality effect the forumulation of specific genetic DNA that causes a specific look?

Even clothing wise, I wouldnt pretend for a second that somehow all INFJs look or dress a specific way or even a remotely similar way, there is just too much variation in the numbers of INFJs and their life stories.

I would personally like to see people stop doing this, I see it as an abuse of knowledge. To take something like MBTI which is more about framing questions and ideas into a system, then it is about prescribing anything more then a preference. And even so, those preferences are more about data and how we percieve it and have nothing to do with how we look physically. I like to dress quite well and flashy to boot often because I like to look like I am put together, of course this is directly at odds with what everyone says an INFJ is supposed to look like which apparently is drab and boring and somehow "soulful" not sure how clothing can make something look soulful unless it was a Jesus costume?

I want empirical evidence that type, personality and physical looks all coincide somehow scientifically or even remotely logically.

yes INFJs have such deep eyes blah blah blah, its BS! You can say that of any type! prove it!

Hmm. Outside of the eye thing (I suppose I have the whole "Eyes are the windows to the soul" thing going; In all honestly, that could just be a matter of projection) I agree with you. What you look like isn't an indicator of anything. Never heard about the whole "How you dress" thing indicates something about MBTI. I suppose it could loosely correlate but not everyone of the same type shares the same values and reasoning.

Reactions: 1 person
Even worse, INFJs and the people on this forum arent generally stupid and should know this, which makes such empty gestures IMO egocentric, fork tongued, self platitudes.

People need to start self checking and stamping that stuff out when they see it occurring. I think crap like that would sacrifice the integrity of what we're trying to do here. By that of course I mean how we are all seeking truth to a degree, much about ourselves. At the same time we are building friendships and navigating through existence together, thats a beautiful thing. But stuff like that... it cheapens it, it ruins what it is that I really appreciated about this forum, which is and has been honesty. The people here aren't all competing to be the coolest internet personality, we're just... us a bunch of dorks on the interwebs trying to figure out lives out.

Lets leave it at that and check that ego shit at the door.

Like Reon I can see how there might be a loose correlation between personality type and how someone dresses (choice of clothes can often be an intentional expression of personality), and I can see how there might be a certain correlation between personality type and mannerisms too (IN**s are likely to be less physically expressive than ES**s, for example).

But as far as a personality type affecting actual physical appearance goes, yeah I just don't see it.

While I think that you have a good point, I wouldn't discourage people from coming up with these theories about how people's tastes in clothes and the way people look and how it relates to type. While it may seem silly, some people think that there might be something to it, and I think they have every right to explore that concept if they choose. Many of us here on the forum just go along with the fun of the idea without accepting it as truth. For me, that's all it is, a fun idea. I don't think everything we say and do here should have to be logically sound for posters to be considered intelligent, nor do I feel that posts that deal with those types of ideas cheapen the forums, they just diversify them.
I think that what makes these forums great is the sense of acceptance many people find here, even if there are differing points of view.
One thing I totally agree with, though, is that we definitely have no reason to advertise our type as the best, nor should we try to alienate anyone with egotism.

It is not unreasonable to expect that picture context and facial expressions may give insights into a person's personality when they pick that picture specifically to display. So while looks are obviously uncorrelated with personality in any way, if you allow people to self select the picture for a test, it is absolutely possible to end up with correlations. (This clearly calls for a study. Maybe you could compare ok cupid personality tests with guesses of the results of those tests from profile pictures? )

On Edit: For instance I've never seen anyone extroverted doing the "death stare" in a profile picture while lots of introverts do.

On second edit: Also another one is that it seems like Duchenne smile's are correlated to F vs T.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I think that you have a good point, I wouldn't discourage people from coming up with these theories about how people's tastes in clothes and the way people look and how it relates to type. While it may seem silly, some people think that there might be something to it, and I think they have every right to explore that concept if they choose. Many of us here on the forum just go along with the fun of the idea without accepting it as truth. For me, that's all it is, a fun idea. I don't think everything we say and do here should have to be logically sound for posters to be considered intelligent, nor do I feel that posts that deal with those types of ideas cheapen the forums, they just diversify them.
I think that what makes these forums great is the sense of acceptance many people find here, even if there are differing points of view.
One thing I totally agree with, though, is that we definitely have no reason to advertise our type as the best, nor should we try to alienate anyone with egotism.

I have always been under the mindset that if youre going to do something, do it properly or dont do it at all, because something half-assed makes a mess that needs to be cleaned up.

I have always been under the mindset that if youre going to do something, do it properly or dont do it at all, because something half-assed makes a mess that needs to be cleaned up.

Then maybe we should full ass it as opposed to dismissing it out of hand because you'd rather not try. Everyone in this thread gives a long list of things that might work and then turns around and says that it isn't possible.

Then maybe we should full ass it as opposed to dismissing it out of hand because you'd rather not try. Everyone in this thread gives a long list of things that might work and then turns around and says that it isn't possible.

Because people arent giving plausible scenarios.

Yeah, I tend to agree with Billy's original post -- I don't think you can tell that much about personality by appearances. And also, when people pose for pictures, they usually assume a "I am now posing for a picture" expression, which masks personality. Or else, they assume a "Get that %^&ing camera out of my face" expression... which I suppose can be somewhat related to personality, but it could also be someone having a bad day.

You can argue that self-adornment choices, expression and body language are clues to personality, and they certainly can be, but they are also clues as to what we consider normal -- our culture.

Don't we have twins on the forum? Isn't Laurie a twin? Well, her sister looks exactly like her and they have different MBTI types. I'd have a tough time telling them apart if they were dressed alike and posed similarly.

Also, my two sons are (I'm almost certain) an extrovert and an introvert and they have very similar expressions. They are three years apart, but still, family members can't tell the difference between photos of them taken at the same age. I can, of course, but I'm their mother.

I think on the whole, the judging personality by photos thing is largely but not completely BS. No offense.

Yeah, I tend to agree with Billy's original post -- I don't think you can tell that much about personality by appearances. And also, when people pose for pictures, they usually assume a "I am now posing for a picture" expression, which masks personality. Or else, they assume a "Get that %^&ing camera out of my face" expression... which I suppose can be somewhat related to personality, but it could also be someone having a bad day.

You can argue that self-adornment choices, expression and body language are clues to personality, and they certainly can be, but they are also clues as to what we consider normal -- our culture.

Don't we have twins on the forum? Isn't Laurie a twin? Well, her sister looks exactly like her and they have different MBTI types. I'd have a tough time telling them apart if they were dressed alike and posed similarly.

Also, my two sons are (I'm almost certain) an extrovert and an introvert and they have very similar expressions. They are three years apart, but still, family members can't tell the difference between photos of them taken at the same age. I can, of course, but I'm their mother.

I think on the whole, the judging personality by photos thing is largely but not completely BS. No offense.

Arn't the twins the ones who did the video comparing the way they talk? Well I'll tell you right from the first frame it is crystal clear that at the least they arn't the same type (so some information gathering is possible).

Arn't the twins the ones who did the video comparing the way they talk? Well I'll tell you right from the first frame it is crystal clear that at the least they arn't the same type (so some information gathering is possible).

^^I don't know, I didn't see that one.

I am sure some information gathering is possible, but am not so certain you can full-on type a person from a photo.

Also, videos tell you more about personality than a photo, because you can see the way someone moves, and see their expressions in context, not just in a freeze frame like photos.

I'd be inclined to think videos were somewhat more effective in typing people than photos, but even there I'd rule out videos along the lines of "This is me being my MBTI type" due to lack of ummm... what is it? They assume things.

If you had a video of someone who 1. didn't know their MBTI type and 2. didn't know they were being filmed, or thought they were being filmed for some random purpose, then that might give you more valid and unbiased information about personality.

If you had a video of someone who 1. didn't know their MBTI type and 2. didn't know they were being filmed, or thought they were being filmed for some random purpose, then that might give you more valid and unbiased information about personality.

If you know you are being filmed your behavior is not exactly random.... Hence the behavior when you know you are being filmed gives you more information not less.

Well, true, but it's difficult to get people to hold still unless you tell them they are being filmed, and to film them randomly you'd have to put hidden cameras all over the place, and you know, that could get a little ethically icky, and you might wind up getting punched or sued. (Which would probably give you even more insight into their personality! LOL!)

Well, true, but it's difficult to get people to hold still unless you tell them they are being filmed, and to film them randomly you'd have to put hidden cameras all over the place, and you know, that could get a little ethically icky, and you might wind up getting punched or sued. (Which would probably give you even more insight into their personality! LOL!)

Luckily we come with these cameras called eye's ;)

agreed, agreed and agreed. I never thought someone would actually point that out. Thanks Billy!
unfortunately, most people look at you and automatically assume you belong to a certain personality type. It's so disturbing to me, so much so that I feel helpless these days :(

Last edited: