Writing academic papers | INFJ Forum

Writing academic papers

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
For all the students on the forum, how easy is it to process feedback on a paper once you get back the results. I find that because my mind goes in so many different directions when I'm writing a paper, I end with my thoughts going all over the place. It's hard for me to focus on idea and develop it. And I will need to do this for my program.

How do you write your papers, and focus your thoughts to develop a clear thesis.

What's your academic paper writing process like and how do you process feedback.

I'm especially interested in feedback from those who've written literature, liberal arts, sociology, social science, or philosophy papers.

I usually think though my papers before I try writing them. I get ideas first, and then I try to find the topic out of all the ideas that I feel can complete a full paper (depending on the page length). I don't usually start writing the paper until a few days before its due - but I'll seek out references beforehand. I usually have the paper planned and I know what I'm going to say before I write it. But I don't usually put in in print until I'm sure of the direction I want to take.

I seem to do best last minute, though; all my thoughts come together cohesively and the paper tends to write itself.

Reactions: Gaze
My attention span is terrible when it comes to writing papers. This forum and the internet in general are part of the reason. I'll spend 5-10 minutes concentrating, feel overwhelmed by the amount of information that I'm trying to make sense of, then spend 5 minutes on the net. I bounce back-and-forth like that, which drags out the process of writing the simplest papers and can turn it into an all-day affair. It takes me a long time to form my thoughts into coherent sentences, and I have trouble getting the material to flow smoothly. Most of this has to do with the fact that I procrastinate and don't have a good grasp of the material that I'm writing about. If I'm familiar with the material and I've had time to develop a working mental concept of the material, then it's way easier for me to think of what I want to say overall, introduce, and summarize.

On occasion I've had to participate in group papers. While I hate having to coordinate multiple opinions and writing styles into a single paper, I must say that the idea that other people are depending upon me is a great motivating factor.

I don't really have trouble with feedback, and I find it really helpful in identifying weaknesses in my writing, whether it results in me changing something, or further elaborating in order to defend a point I've made.

My ideas just come to me. Once I figure out what I want the main idea of my paper to be, I make an outline writing out a full intro, thesis, and conclusion. I particularly find it easy to write my conclusion first because, it gives me a feeling that I am working towards what I want my paper to express. I the fill in the body, using a "Claim, data, commentary" format. I like to write my introduction last because it's easier to introduce my idea when it's already been fleshed out.

I take feedback in stride. It's usually comments on comma splice, minor grammatical errors, and awkward articulation. Not too difficult to fix.

You could also try "blind writing" to help you think of ideas/get the clutter out.

For me the thesis is critical, once I have it down the paper just "writes itself". I also wait a couple days before it's due (get some references/research done), let the idea's mull over in my head for a bit.

Last edited:
I'm very similar to what some of you wrote. I do tend to write papers better at the last minute. I think I get caught up in the introduction too often. I need to learn to flesh out my idea clearly and then develop the ideas I will discuss. But I'm always so unsure whether my thesis is workable or clear.

An outline broken up by chapters, segments, etc. And then I can just shuffle the paragraphs and thoughts around within each segment.

I spend quite a bit of time gathering research and refining my thoughts on the topic. Before I even think about writing my paper, I decide what exactly I am going to be arguing and what style of literary theory I am going to use to back it up (English major!). I then go and brush up on the basics of the theory to make sure I have my understanding correct. Then I start to outline my paper. My intro paragraph starts off with a somewhat shocking/interesting statement about the subject I am going to be writing about. The hardest part about intro writing, in my opinion, is getting an opening line that doesn't sound cliche or trite. From here I grant my arguement its concession, and then briefly mention my supporting arguments for my thesis. My thesis is always the last line of my intro paragraph. I then do a brief outline of how the rest of my paper will look. Each paragraph will contain a supporting arguement for my thesis (unless it's a concession against my thesis, of course). Under my main supporting arguments I try and list 3 different statements/citations I can use to back up my arguement for said paragraph. I do this for every paragraph that I plan on including in my paper. Then I write out the conclusion which is basically a rewording of my intro paragraph.

Before doing the outline I have to organize my research. I've found that this is really simple to do by using note-cards instead of text-marking. For every statement, quote, and paraphrasing that I get from a source, I write it out on a note card that includes the date that the source was found, and the correct citation for the source. I organize all of my note-cards by source until I start to think about how I will actually combine my different aspects of research into cohesive arguments. I can then organize my note-cards into groups that will be used to support each paragraph as I outlined above. With the citation already on the back of the note-card, it's very easy to do in-text citations as I write.

I always reread the feedback I've gotten from a professor on old assignments when I'm writing a new essay for them. This way I'm sure to include the little tricks they like, and omit the ones they do not.

Hope that helps!

I'm guilty of muddled thinking where every idea which comes to mind seems important. So, I'm always jumping around, when I should be limiting the idea. So, I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to go to one idea rather than keep expanding and adding to it. I think why it's been tricky doing this is, it's confusing trying to write a 10-15 page, vs. 25-30 pg, vs. something much longer. Each kind of paper has a certain amount of content which needs to be covered. In shorter papers, you're expected to get to the point quicker, but in a longer paper, you have to spell things out and explain the background, etc. before arguing thesis. So, that was one of my points of confusion.

I spend hours upon hours reading abstracts and gathering sources...usually online from at home.
Then I read through them entirely and highlight bits that I find especially relevant (citation worthy).
Then I procrastinate for six weeks--
but always with the topic in the back of my mind.. looking for inspiration and ideas here and there, and even examples of what I'm going to write about in my daily life.
(Most of my papers have to do with Communication.)
Then I sit down the weekend before it's due and bang it out in a span of two sittings.
These either range from 6-12 hours.

This process has usually worked very well for me.

I process all feedback pretty quickly and file it away in my brain to make adjustments.
I'm not really sure what kind of information you are looking for regarding feedback.

Reactions: Gaze and jyrffw54
I just write and write and write and then cut and paste where I think things shoudl go in order to create order in my paper.

For instance I am in a class where I basically didnt pay attention the whole time. But I know a little bit about IS anyways. So I am writing some BS and then inspiration comes and I write a whole bunch more about this or that. So I get one big paragraph and several small ones. Then I write in the small paragraphs till they are bigger and my paper is complete.

Then I get an A.

As for philosophy papers, I would personally recommend this website: http://virtualsalt.com/index.htm

Scroll down and you will see a section titled, "Tools for Writers." If your struggling with writing a good philosophy paper, this website should help you a lot.

Best of luck

Carrie:

Have a crystal clear thesis. You'll know if something belongs in your paper by how necessary it is to the thesis. In my experience as a teacher, identifying the main idea is the hardest thing to learn, and 90% of the work.

BTW, you made my day. I see a lot of bad writing, but I don't often run across someone who CARES enough to try to better their writing. May you receive a thousand reps!

The thesis part is certainly tops. It flows from there.

Then free write all of the wayward ideas with the understanding that what you're writing is not the paper itself. You're simply word vomiting. Get it all on paper and then start to sift through it to form logical sentence groups based around topics that support your thesis. Putting together a puzzle and all that.

It is certainly possible to get a paper right in one go, but it takes experience with the form to do that well.

This is usually how I do it. My college sucks, so I don't know if this is how you would do it in a university that really gives a damn about academic papers.

Step 1: I choose a topic that I'm real passionate about in the area that I'm required to research.(Philosophy, literature, psychology etc.)

Step 2: I explore 3 points that I want to expand on and will be a part of my thesis.

Step 3: I read lots of academic papers on similar topics to get a good idea of what my intro and conclusion will be. Write down references and bookmark any websites that are interesting.

Step 4: Write a formal but at the same time eye-catching introduction that will flow easily with my thesis and overall content of the paper.

Step 5: Begin to expand on the points that I briefly introduced on the thesis. Each point is about a 1-2 pages long. So for example, if my topic is on memory, I would choose three interesting ideas from memory, briefly cover them on the thesis part of the introduction, and then go deeply into them on the next paragraphs.

Step 6: I do the conclusion which basically summarizes the whole paper and reiterate your thesis and what you're talking about. You focus on the big picture of your findings or of what you're expressing. You try to speculate how this paper can be useful in future and the implications this has on your society or area of focus.

Step 7: Spelling and grammar check.

Step 8: Ask at least three people knowledgeable in your topic to give feedback and any corrections it may need.

Step 9: After receiving feedback, correct it, and once again ask someone to check it for you.

Step 10: Revise

Step 11: Submit

Some really great advice. Thank you all. Keep those ideas coming, and I will rep whoever I haven't repped yet, when the system allows me to rep again.

I have written papers for social science classes and philosophy classes. I have four different types of formats that I follow:

1. Argumentative essays
2. Comparative essays
3. Thesis defense essays
4. Research essays

The most common are argumentative and research essays. What you do here is a) figure out what you are arguing, b) make the case for it using the appropriate type of data and references, c) anticipate any potential objections the reader might raise, and d) talk about how the issue could be re-conceptualized or how your analysis allows for a new understanding of the issue at hand. For research essays that are argumentative (that aren't strictly positive, reports basically) you do all of these but especially 'd', and you provide the required amount of citations.

If you're asked to write an essay that is basically just a report, then you just do lots of research and report the facts with lots of citations.

What will you be writing?

How do you write your papers, and focus your thoughts to develop a clear thesis. What's your academic paper writing process like and how do you process feedback.

The first thing I do is to formulate a precise question which I am going to elaborate. The more precise the question, the clearer the writing. The next step is to figure out the core message I would like to bring across. When you have those two points the structure of your paper is basically there automatically. The question defines the borders, the core message defines the hierarchy of your arguments. Then you do a bit of "chaptering": introduction (why am I doing this?), research done by other scholars, which approach am I going to use, the core text, other stuff, conclusion.

That's one easy recipe for writing papers. It's a more structured approach and I usually use it for social sciences. For art, cultural history, and so on, I usually write in an essayistic style.

For that style, you need to figure out the end. Not the beginning, the end. The finishing line, punch line, whatever. As long as you have that point, you can start from wherever you want, it will always lead you to that point. And as for getting there, I usually think in terms of "GPS routing" or "highways", i.e. I know my destination and I have in mind a few "stops" (idea blocks) I'd like to visit/mention along the way. Sometimes I figure out in which order it would be best to mention those ideas, but sometimes I just write towards the goal. And for these kind of texts I prefer a softer, creamy style of writing, perhaps like this one: http://books.google.com/books?id=QSUpCecTugkC&lpg=PP1&dq=negara&hl=en&pg=PA3

I decide on a topic. As is typical of us, I usually have an opinion on any topic so coming up with my "slant" is generally easy.

Then I find sources (from all different perspectives, start with 10 and add more using the references from the others) and take written notes on each. I usually end up with a 50 page word document.

By the time I'm done this the general consensus and direction of scholarship will have become clear so I have good overview.

Then I take the various arguments from the various sources and construct my own contribution in a clear order with a strong opinion.

I like to be progressive and push the envelope but I can be a bit too polemic. Not surisingly the feedback on my MA thesis recently was only that I know my stuff but that I dismiss other opinions too readily (I'll take that as a compliment!).

Good luck! I don't envy you. Writing papers takes a lot out of me as I always overcommit.