Would you give it all away, just to earn a living through your own efforts? | INFJ Forum

Would you give it all away, just to earn a living through your own efforts?

Nucky

Regular Poster
Mar 8, 2010
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
If millions of US dollars were somehow legitimately passed on to you, would you give it all away, just for the sake of earning your own living?

I'm asking this because it seems to me that people who become rich through pure luck are among the most hated people on the planet.

For the record, I certainly wouldn't.

Nope, especialy if t were from a relative passing away or some similar situation. I'd feel like I have an obligation to put the money to good use.

As for the lottery or something like that, well..... still a no. I can't reasonably say I would even If I think I would.

well no, it's not like you can't still earn a living, just that you wouldn't be dependent on the income from one to survive. which would really free you up :)

I would probably do some more study and try and make a career doing things I'm passionate about.

The inheritance or whatever would be a backup in case I sucked at whatever it is I decided to do.

No, I'd keep the money but not flaunt it. People who suddenly become rich (or appear to become rich) are hated because they flaunt it, and they flaunt it because they are egotistical.

Very few people would even know that I had the money.

I wouldn't flaunt it either, and I'd find non-destructive ways to occupy my time. I always was pretty good at dealing with boredom.

I might give it away because I am increasingly experiencing a sense of being trapped by what I own. Perhaps "being impeded from being happy" expresses it better.

I would like to own nothing eventually - because I would then have nothing to tie me down or worry me. I suspect that this is somewhat unrealistic, but it's a kind of ideal/fantasy for me.

I would ensure that my family's needs were met and pay off all of my debt. I would then focus on bringing jobs to the county I live in and the poorest counties of my state by starting my own businesses or investing in others. I would utilize the profits of those businesses and investments to bolster the education system in my county and state as much as possible, my goal is increasing the salaries of teachers and offering a wider variety of study. Through my donations one stipulation would be to ensure a proper education of the history of each school, the community it is located in, the county, our state, and finally our relationship with the rest of the United States and the world as a whole. The concept is to broaden the horizons of each young mind and hopefully build enough respect for where they come from that more people will wish to invest in making it better. I would lobby my state government constantly to reduce the polutants being dumped in our state rivers and place more stringent standards on cultural surveys before logging or any form of construction could be started. I would donate to fix our damn road systems especially I59 and I20. I'd go get a physical.

Thats just what I can think of off the top of my head. I guess if I fucked up and ended up spending all that money at least people would have jobs for awhile and some good things would happen for my state. Being ranked 45th in the nation for education really chaps my ass.

Financial security for me, the older of my two sisters, and my mother. Beyond that I maybe would spoil myself with a few texts I've been wanting and the rest would be given to the camp I worked at as a teen and my university for a research scholarship.

hmmm...I would donate some of it...maybe a lot of it...I would only want enough to sustain me...IE interest payments earned from the money...I wouldnt want to live lavishly...but I would fix things up, pay off my debts...I would open a business or two...Perhaps invest in cleaner cars, donate to research for cleaner cars...maybe take a trip to a third world country and help rebuild a village...

Now is the time to invest!

I had 1700 shares of PIR (Pier 1 Imports) when it was 68 cents a share. I sold it too soon, now it is over 6 dollars, sigh.

If I had load of money I would have exactly the same plan as I have now. It would just get moved forward a few years.

I plan to be a millionaire anyway so I would hopefully earn millions even after winning millions.

You know I don't know what I would do. Most likely I would travel around a little. I would want to see the earth before I die. And I would like to meet some people from different places also. I guess I would be a closet humanitarian.

If millions of US dollars were somehow legitimately passed on to you, would you give it all away, just for the sake of earning your own living?

I'm asking this because it seems to me that people who become rich through pure luck are among the most hated people on the planet.

No way!

Earning my own living is entirely overrated (though I am grateful to be able to do it as I see no viable alternatives).

Personally, if I got or inherited millions of dollars in some sort of legitimate way, anyone who hated me for it could kiss my rich ass.

I don't hate rich people per se, and I don't begrudge people their good luck or the fruits of their labor. I certainly object to some of the things done by rich and powerful people (ahem... BP!!), but I can point to many, many good and helpful things that wealthy individuals have done.

I'd be homeschooling my children, funding various philanthropic activities (schools, orphanages, clean energy sources, farms, etc.) learning everything I could about investing, and generally going about my life in the same way I usually do, except in a house with nicer furnishings, more books, more travel, and much, much, much more time with the people I love.

For any currency,

I don't hate rich people, i am also one of them. I have rich ideas and full of happiness. It is just unfortunate of those people who cant respect money and happiness. If you don't respect happiness then mark my words, you will never be able to achieve or earn happiness in your life. there are also sad people on this planet.

I like to give money who are in need and to those who really deserves to earn money. giving money is art.

I don't hate rich people, i am also one of them. I have rich ideas and full of happiness. It is just unfortunate of those people who cant respect money and happiness. If you don't respect happiness then mark my words, you will never be able to achieve or earn happiness in your life. there are also sad people on this planet.

Yes, that is so true Roger! And it isn't all about money, either... should people automatically become hated if they are especially gifted in some other way? Does one person's success make others less successful? Am I one bit worse off because Oprah (for example) is a billionaire, or because some young actress is more beautiful, or because Stephen Hawking is smarter? I don't think so, and I like and admire success and talent whether it is financial or some other form. :smile: Let them enjoy it, jealousy is such a waste of energy.

How many millions?

I do think that an obscene amount of money gets in the way of happiness for most people. A few million I think I could handle. I wouldn't want to be responsible for hundreds of millions.

Nope I would not, I would use it as a foundation to live the rest of my life, I would give some to charity and stuff but I would pretty much see if I could try and live off the interest.

No way!

Earning my own living is entirely overrated (though I am grateful to be able to do it as I see no viable alternatives).

Personally, if I got or inherited millions of dollars in some sort of legitimate way, anyone who hated me for it could kiss my rich ass.

I don't hate rich people per se, and I don't begrudge people their good luck or the fruits of their labor. I certainly object to some of the things done by rich and powerful people (ahem... BP!!), but I can point to many, many good and helpful things that wealthy individuals have done.

I'd be homeschooling my children, funding various philanthropic activities (schools, orphanages, clean energy sources, farms, etc.) learning everything I could about investing, and generally going about my life in the same way I usually do, except in a house with nicer furnishings, more books, more travel, and much, much, much more time with the people I love.

Hah! That is a damn good way to look at it in my opinion Janet!

No, I would use it to get even more money. The money I have, the more people I can help.
With the money I could start up companies, build facilities and create foundations designed to improve the lives of those that are struggling or needing a bit of help.
I can't see much going towards myself.

Last edited: